Proposal - Remove 2nd Non-working CNC and Extra Plywood by Dec 31st.

I think buying some sheets for Hive use might be good, but I’m also not someone who has been using the CNC (yet) and I’m not sure I am the best person to suggest using Hive funds for those materials. Otherwise would this be an appropriate place to vote in the affirmative that we remove the items in question? Short-term solution or not, we’re certainly in need of the space.

I'd like to propose that Hive buy the birch plywood. I think this would
reduce confusion and increase utilization, and in general it makes sense
for community resources to be owned and managed by the community. I'll wait
until after the meeting to make a real proposal since I'm not immediately
sure about a dollar amount, or buying some vs all of the plywood. (Coy I'm
not sure how much you would want to keep as personal stock.)

Perhaps change the current vote to: "Remove the medium CNC and
*individually-owned* plywood from CNC area by Dec 31st". That would leave
us open to buy plywood from Coy in a separate vote, if the membership so
desires.

Mike

I’m ameniable to the change.

Remove the medium CNC and individually-owned plywood from CNC area by Dec 31st

The proposal sounds reasonable to me – seconded.

Coy, I admit I don’t have a good memory of all of this, which is why I revisited and cited the meeting minutes and the mailing list. I am neither for nor against the proposal at this point, and am glad that we are discussing it here to bring everyone’s contributions into the discussion. Hearing from a broad group of members is helping me make better sense out of everything. Thank you everyone.

Sounds like a good change to me as well. The Hive can choose to buy the ply wood we want and Coy can keep a reasonable amount- just like other members are entitled to as space and availability allows -at the hive.

There seems to be a bit of confusion on exactly what I’m asking here, so let me be as clear as I can. I’d like the following:

1. Remove the 2nd CNC machine
  2. Remove all non-hive owned plywood, currently in the two stacks, one of which is in a storage rack
  3. Remove the rack also storing the plywood

We would retain the rack to store any Hive owned plywood. If there is none, I’d expect the rack to be removed. I also don’t expect the plywood rack to be used for anybody’s personal storage, unless we have another vote about that.

I’d like a deadline of Dec 31st for the removal to be completed. If it is not completed, I plan to move the plywood to the wood scrap heap, and remove the rack and CNC machine from Hive 13.

I believe the plywood clamping setup (next to the medium CNC) was built with Hive funds to store wood for the CNC projects because of warpage concerns. We may want to think about a way to store the “fancy” plywood for CNC projects. Perhaps we can go with flat storage under something, or on a pallet rack. If the Hive chooses to purchase some of Coy’s plywood we would need to store it somewhere.

Just wanted to give some background for your fragile wood projects . . . .

I know previously when we have removed Hive property we have submitted a plan for what is done with the new space? Have you done this? Also if you want this space for woodworking can we move this rack to the space in front of the lounge? Just trying to work together for a solution that works for everyone.

I don’t think Andrew was planning on removing hive property? The space in front of the lounge with pallet racks is slated for pallet racks, and the Vertical storage for plywood I assumed would (an assumption… I know) be used for Hive13 Plywood storage. Maybe I’m wrong - Andrew?

I believe the plywood clamping setup (next to the medium CNC) was built with Hive funds to store wood for the CNC projects because of warpage concerns. We may want to think about a way to store the “fancy” plywood for CNC projects.

I was told that this was built with scrap, and I haven’t seen any evidence this was built with a plan. Is there a plan in the meeting notes or some other place?

Perhaps we can go with flat storage under something, or on a pallet rack. If the Hive chooses to purchase some of Coy’s plywood we would need to store it somewhere.

Agreed, which is what I said, we’d retain the rack until we were out of plywood. Once we no longer have any hive owned plywood, why would we retain the rack? Are you suggesting that maybe we would buy some additional plywood in the future?

The Hive acquiring a delivery from Doppes every now and again for $10 isn’t a bad idea… If the structure is sound albeit a bit piece meal -Coy says that it is in fact sounder than current wood storage techniques - why wouldn’t we keep it for CNC plywood for members to purchase. Sliding it over to the wall by the lounge (perhaps that what Coy meant?) wouldn’t be a bad idea and we could extend the workbench or rearrange the bandsaw/drill/sander/jointer/router area for a better flow and more space for the workbench/feedtable/assembly areas.

anyone want to send a cad drawing of the current hive layout? we can potentially modify and see how we could update it to be.

Does Doppes have the birch plywood we want?
Brad, as the CNC warden, do you want to be responsible for ordering supplies when we run low?

My thinking is that it’s going to be something else that sounds like a good idea, and then isn’t kept up, and ends up sitting there empty for months, taking up space. If that’s not the case, I’m okay with keeping it.

Finally, I did a check through the meeting minutes, I’m not seeing any mention of the current plywood storage, and this floorplan from August 4th doesn’t show it, so I’m not seeing a plan to put it in place in the first place. Am I missing something?

Floor plan:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vragg2t9um1ovu6/floor%20plan%20entire%20space%20v3.svg?dl=0

August Meeting:
https://wiki.hive13.org/view/August_4,_2015

It’s not as fine as what Coy sourced from Canada - but it’s certainly decent material.

Doppes has lots of football patches, there are other places locally like DSI that can get the higher grade BB but need some lead time.

Ask Brad for access, not sure if it was Dropbox or Google Drive

This what Brad sent me:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_kSFRAfU0DdeGZDMXRtUW8zc0U/view

I think this floor plan from August of 2015 is a bit better, even if it’s out of date, because I don’t remember Brad’s having details about the location of stuff. Rather he had a sketch up with measurements.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vragg2t9um1ovu6/floor%20plan%20entire%20space%20v3.svg?dl=0

Doppes can also order higher grade as requested, but we can’t expect blondie pricing that Coy got on his Baltic Birch B/BB from most places unless we order in quantity. Coy how much did you order to get that pricing - didn’t you say it was like two bundles or something?

True baltic birch plywood is far superior in looks and construction to the average plywood we can pickup at the big box - the question comes down to do you need high end ply or does nice looking ply suit your needs? There’s a reason the Lumber yards and woodworking stores are $50-$60(or more) for a Baltic Birch 4x8x0.5 sheet, while big boxes sell “blonde wood” 4x8x0.5 sheet for ~ $35. It’s the grading/construction/materials of the plywood in question.
More about that here: http://www.paxtonwood.com/DomesticPlywoodGrades.aspx

Sorry, guess I should have been clearer.

I see a lot of questions that would need to be answered, such as the quality/price, and additional work for the CNC warden to manage a Hive13 stock of plywood. So far I haven’t even seen a definite proposal to buy the plywood that’s already present, let alone all the discussion and work that would need to go into managing a continually restocked supply of plywood in the CNC area.

Since that’s more work for Brad, we should probably get his opinion first.

What I’d like to avoid is a lot of talk, followed by nothing happening, and having an empty plywood rack that sits there taking up a good amount of space for another year or two with little to no activity. To me the simplest solution to that is to remove the rack when it has no plywood in it, which I’m guessing is what’s going to happen. I’m open to other suggestions.

Also I’m still looking for some sort of official planning/approval that went into this appearing in the first place. I know Coy maintains it was approved, I’ve heard other things, and can find nothing in the mailing list or meeting minutes that supports approval or planning. I don’t see why we need planning to remove something that appears to have not been planned in the first place, nor gotten much use in the past few months.

Just interjecting that being a warden includes the responsibility to maintain, improve and refresh supplies of materials and consumables for that area. So this would fall under current warden expectations. Stocks like this don’t have to be constantly replenished either. After initial stock is used up, we might decide it is better off not to have a system like that, or to have it replenished only before major planned classes, etc.

Wardens can also always get help and support from leadership, as well as other members who wish to be more involved in the everyday-duties around the hive. No one has to go it alone.

To a certain point the Hive /is/ still a do-ocracy, meaning that if someone is heavily involved in improving the hive and acts with good will, not every project that impacts the space needs explicit approval. Always check with the current COO or warden though. This is why we vote in officers, like COO, to make some big decisions without having to involve a vote every time. When I refinished the work benches, or started work on the main wood storage, I just did it as part of my warden duties. I used my warden budget and got a few opinions from leadership, but it was never an official vote. If everything needed approval, things would move a whole lot slower than they already do: the radial arm saw wouldn’t be mounted into the work bench, the mural in the fab lab wouldn’t exist, the mounted clocks wouldn’t be there, the vent fan in the metal room wouldn’t be up, the (slow) expansion of the dust collection system would have never happened, etc. etc. etc. Literally YEARS of improvements didn’t (and shouldn’t) need voting approval. Again, no crazy ideas that EVERYTHING GOES, but we have to be reasonable and fluid for some “improvements”, instead of splitting hairs on that type of thing.

I’m not sure about this project, as I am also having trouble finding specific info on this based on our records (which are imperfect :P). I do know that two sample floor plans were sent to leadership in March, but I am not sure if those ever got to the general membership.