Proposal - Remove 2nd Non-working CNC and Extra Plywood by Dec 31st.

I never got to see the sample floor plans that were sent in March, so idk if anyone can resend them?

Just interjecting that being a warden includes the responsibility to maintain, improve and refresh supplies of materials and consumables for that area. So this would fall under current warden expectations. Stocks like this don’t have to be constantly replenished either. After initial stock is used up, we might decide it is better off not to have a system like that, or to have it replenished only before major planned classes, etc.

I think this is a special case for a number of reasons. First, the cost of the materials. A single sheet of the cheap birch plywood is in the $50 range, which is more than we can put on the warden sheet. Second, having the warden buy a single sheet is not useful, far better to buy several sheets, at which point we’re talking about hundreds of dollars. Fourth if we want to have the really nice birch, that’s going to require special contacts/ordering/knowledge. You can’t just go down to Menards/Home Depot. Third, it’s also far harder to transport than a other consumables, such as a roll of towels, some glue, or a new blade. It would probably require a truck to deliver a load. Finally it would require some money management, in significant sums, such that we’d probably have to add another paypal page or something to the wiki.

This all seems outside the current warden expectations.

I’m not sure about this project, as I am also having trouble finding specific info on this based on our records (which are imperfect :P).

As are people’s memories, etc. You’re correct people acting in good faith should have the benefit of the doubt, which is why I’m suggesting we discuss this. It appears that it’s been left for while, and I’ve heard a lot of rumors about it. I feel an official vote one way or another would resolve these issues. I really do feel we’re getting a bit cramped in the woodshop, and I’m looking to better manage all the woodshop space, not just this particular piece. I’m asking for discussion and a vote on this particular piece since it does seem to generate a lot of controversy.

Also if there are floorplans, I’d love to see them, and it would be cool to add them to the wiki.

To clarify a bit further, Andrew does this make sense?

1. Remove the 2nd CNC machine on or before //___

2. Remove all Plywood on //___, allowing sale, transport, and other considerations to be made before this date.

3. Remove the rack at the same time.

Andrew, feel free to set the dates or reword. If people want to buy the wood, they can within the time frame, and you also have a hard deadline to address anxieties of this being dragged out. In the past, approximate time frames and periods have been used in projects that fizzled. A hard deadline makes things clearer. I leave it to you to set the time frame.

It is my opinion that Hive13 should own and maintain its own large tools and equipment. Furthermore, individual members and group-buys can always get what people need when they need it.

I do anticipate that the wood will not sell to members well if we assume ownership of it. Honestly, since most of us are just starting to learn how to use this tool, most of us are going to want to look for the best dollar value until we’re confident that we won’t screw up expensive sheets.

L

That’s perfect. I picked Dec 31st, since that’s the date I’ve got for the other stuff that’s going on. I’m also going to be off, so I’ve got more time to deal with things right now.

1. Remove the 2nd CNC machine on or before 12/31
  2. Remove all Plywood on 12/31, allowing sale, transport, and other considerations to be made before this date.
  3. Remove the rack at the same time.

I tried to put some files on the wiki but it wouldn’t let me edit.

Here is one of the sketchup floorplans I did.

Hive13 Floorplan 08.skp (6.94 MB)

Lorin Can you define “large tool and equipment”? Are you speaking size, price, specialty?

Just curious Coy, did you need help getting it out of the hive? Dave B said I could use his truck anyday - I think its got an 8’ bed. If you pick a date, I am happy to help! Also, I think Mike was interested in purchasing a sheet or two of your plywood.
Cheers,
Tiffany