Worktable Build Progress

That’s the way! Thanks!

I put another coat of Danish oil on the table, should be ready for the next coat as early as tomorrow!

The Fab Lab Work Table is done! It's in the Fab Lab drying from it's third coat of varnish. Should be dry to the touch in a day or so. The only other thing it needs is it's tube caps and maybe Touch up paint in a few spots

Sitting Welding Table (in welding room) still needs:

Grind down the lumpy welds
Drill mounting holes for the top in the frame (top is drilled, center the top on the frame and match drill through the top with the mag-base drill, 2" overhang on all edges of the top)
Wipe frame with acetone to prep for paint
Paint frame black
Bolt and shim top to frame (1/4" countersunk screws, washers, nuts, and shims are in the box on the table)
Break sharp corners and edges on top w/ angle grinder flap disk
Clean and oil top

Way to go man! What a huge contribution you have made to the Hive!

Thanks, and thanks to everyone who has helped!

it’s looking pretty shiny in there:

Looks great!
We should weld your name on all the table frames.

fablab_camera.jpg

I was wondering where it was going to go. The table is very welcome. However, I do want to ensure, especially with the rain buckets and the discussion about reviving the gigabot, that the Electronics Lab doesn’t become uncomfortably cramped. Brad, perhaps you and I as wardens of a shared space should get together and have a land use plan so to speak.

Brad, I have no need for my name on them, haha. I'd just be happy for people to make use of them and clear them when done working so other people can walk up to them and use them!

We were discussing yesterday possibly tossing the ugly old green table in there. I don't think it's too cramped as is, and it's always nice to have work space. I think we really just need to stay on top of people to make sure everyone cleans up thier messes before leaving.

Happy to look at the space with you.

We might want to “block off” the workstation areas so it doesn’t get cramped.

Perhaps the multi shelf unit near the door could find another space in the main area.

The wire shelving unit could really use a going over. There is some junk in there I don’t think is needed anymore. It is nice to have some fans, but probably not 15 of them. Purgatory party. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The green monster by the wall needs to be cleaned off and possibly relocated.

So many choices. . .

https://cams.hive13.org/fablab_camera.jpg

not by the wall anymore :stuck_out_tongue:

Huge thanks to Dave Schwinn for a massive amount of work put in last night on getting the tables done! Thanks also to everyone else who helped with the heavy lifting bits!

Last night we:

• installed the tube caps on the FabLab table
  • ground all the welds on the sitting weld table
  • drilled the frame for mounting the top
  • deburred the frame holes
  • wiped the frame with acetone
  • painted the frame
  • sanded the MDF tops and shelves on the two big worktables
  • put another coat of varnish on those
    That leaves the list of things left to do on the tables as a very short list!

Sitting weld table:

• Install top and shim level

• deburr table top edges with flap disk

• install tube caps

• touch up paint

• oil top
    MDF top work tables:

• sand MDF edges and add another coat of varnish to the edges to try and get them a bit more finished looking
    Standing weld table:

• Clean with new angle grinder flap disks

• make a sign reminding people to not paint on the weld tables without a drop cloth over the whole table

Sweet!

Awesome work by everyone.
I think we need to put Hive stickers all over the frames. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

IMG_20190717_215302.jpg

IMG_20190717_215312.jpg

IMG_20190717_215256.jpg

Man, these edges were thirsty! I soaked them over and over with varnish and every time I came back to them they looked like they needed more.

This weekend I got the top installed on the sitting weld table, though I did not yet shim it flat (there is a ~1/8" dip along the back edge that needs to be corrected)

Just a reminder, PLEASE DO NOT GET PAINT ON THE WELDING TABLE TOPS. We have drop cloths, roll paper, and a tent for preventing paint getting on things, please use them ANY time you paint. if the person who got thick blue paint all over the sitting weld table’s top wouldn’t mind cleaning it off, I’d really appreciate it.

As always, here is the tally of work remaining so that everyone knows what they can help with if taken by the urge:

Sitting weld table:

• Shim top to flat (shims in box under standing weld table, use 6’ level as a straight edge to find low spots and shim them up)

• Deburr table top edges with flap disk (currently fairly sharp, be careful)

• Touch up paint

• Oil top

• Make a sign reminding people to not paint on the weld tables without a drop cloth over the whole table
    Fab Lab Table:

• Sand MDF edges and add another coat of varnish to the edges to get them sealed up
    Standing Weld Table:

• Make a sign reminding people to not paint on the weld tables without a drop cloth over the whole table
    Big Work Tables: Done!

We can take some of the rattle cans from the flammables cabinet and spraypaint reminders not to paint of the welding tables.

I saw the paint on the table. It was kinda nervy for someone to do that. Definitely not a case of “being excellent” to the person who has practically killed himself making these tables.

Will was super nice and cleaned the paint off (almost killing himself with fumes from the solvent from what I hear, reminder, always use the fume extractor)

Anyone want to help me shim the sitting welding table flat this weekend? That’s pretty much all that is left to call this table project complete (8 months after it began).