Sawdust Emission Law - Dust Collection

Something like the oil refineries have where they burn off excess gas. :flushed:

image.png

Ooooo! fire!

image.png

I’ll eat a 5way and recreate that picture at the meeting tonight. Will you hold the lighter Brad?

But in all seriousness if we are blowing straight dust out window right now without some type downspout to disperse it more to a ground level or even have it Cyclone into a empty 55-gallon plastic drum. Blowing it straight out the window just comes across as extremely irresponsible on our part given the fact that we know what is likely contained in the dust. There is a reason we wanted out and don’t want to breathe it but what about the other people around us or Josh upstairs that leaves his dogs out that run around outside… I honestly thank is a group we are a hell of a lot more creative then just blowing it right out the window if that is how it is currently set up. We have some of the best Minds Cincinnati has to offer, so I think we should be able to come up with something that is a bit more responsible and something to be proud of. Especially if we’re going in lieu of not obtaining any permissions ahead of time from the land lord or the fire marshal that’s in charge of our walkthrough.

I know we are blowing piles of it out there like Perfect North Slopes blows snow, but it’s enough for someone to see/ smell/ notice / complain.

The oiled foam filater that I brought up would not leak oil as you just use enough to wet and make the surface tacky. I was going to try grab one out of the dirt bike however katie got a wicked hateful stomach bug from at work and it’s my turn to be her nurse now.

image.png

Yeah, I don’t think you get it. I really don’t, and I don’t understand why. Since this thread appears to be failing you in communication, why don’t you take a look at the setup, and talk to me in person about this.

Once again, about 95% of the saw dust is cycloning into a bucket. That has NOT changed. It’s the 1-2 teaspoons of fine dust that isn’t collected by the cyclone we’re blowing out the window, which is an extremely common practice.

Can I have the 5 way instead?
Not for demonstration purposes but because I like chili.

Thanks

Pretty sure the 5 way comes with the requirement that you be a human flame thrower. :wink:

Dear lord don’t get yourself all worked man. Let me explain it out without any side notes or thoughts…

1. We are blowing dust of some percentage that you calculated to be 5%

2. We are blowing that out of a level that is not ground level…it’s elevated.

3. We could solve any possible complaints that could come our way by simply putting in a downpipe that takes said dust below the elevated area.

4. Since it is at the ground level the potential for if a filter was not seated in and or not sealed up we wouldn’t be blowing more than 5% out.

5. Also since it would be coming out at floor level it would be easier to contained in a certain area beneath the pipe in say a drum or people who would like to play around with a cyclonic effect or filter idea they have it would be very easy.

6. The main reason for removing the elevation from the equation is so that if the wind is blowing just like in the hive you can taste the dust in the air and they gets in your sinuses etc. It could also leave a layer of dust on the cars parked back there.

7. To run a downpipe would be a minimal cost.

8. I agree professional shops have exchangers and vent outside on their property. The issues I am wanting to avoid is the possibility of complaints as we rent the space and share it with other tenants… who’s parking is outback.

9. Also we have the crossfit gym that runs around the building which could possibly be another group wondering what in the world is blowing out of that pipe.

10. The whole idea surrounding wanting to downpipe it is to protect the hive against complaints or any other problems that could arise if for some reason the straight pipe out the elevated window were to cause an issue. It could prevent items from flying straight out from above if for some reason things were not in place from whatever reason to going down the wall via a downpipe.

Sooooo… the main thing is just brining it down to a level that is failsafe even if the filters were out of the system. Then if people want to try different vortex designs at the bottom or capture devices they can… for fun…on their own dollar. I personally think some people might have fun with making something to try. At the end of the day it’s just there for the whole bunch of what ifs. I’m not trying to make this a personal thing at all.

I’m not taking this personally. What I’m seeing is that you consistently ask questions that have been already answered, post things that are off topic, and don’t seem to see it when you get agreement. Further, based on your ignorant understanding of what’s been posted you start grandstanding, making inflammatory comments. Like this one

“Blowing it straight out the window just comes across as extremely irresponsible on our part given the fact that we know what is likely contained in the dust. There is a reason we wanted out and don’t want to breathe it but what about the other people around us or Josh upstairs that leaves his dogs out that run around outside… I honestly thank is a group we are a hell of a lot more creative then just blowing it right out the window if that is how it is currently set up. We have some of the best Minds Cincinnati has to offer, so I think we should be able to come up with something that is a bit more responsible and something to be proud of.”

So, like I said, we’re not communicating, or at least you’re not communicating, and I don’t understand why. I’m guessing you have some sort of reading issue, or I need to use some pictures so you can see clearly, hence the suggestion to discuss it in person, where you can see exactly what’s being discussed.

Ah the great journey down the rabbit hole . . . . .

I think there is a critical thread length were the conversations begin to get non productive. Looks like about 35 messages for this one.

Alright, this digressed pretty far. I agree with the fact that it’s hard to communicate over the mailing list sometimes.

Now… I’m not looking/wanting a response to this next bit, I’ve just been doing some thinking and wanted to think about current set up with relation to where the dust goes, and how much there is.

Currently, when stuff gets full (of fine AND coarse particles) people manually disconnect the canister with the dust, wheel it through the hall to outside and dump it into the dumpster which is in the back dock/parking lot. This is a one time occurrence, however, as recent procedure dictates, it will (should) be done after each CNC use, and occasionally with use in the woodshop. As I have done this on many occasions, I will tell you what happens when you dump dust somewhere… it creates a cloud of dust/debris that free-floats in the air. Should the air be going the right way it may end up dispersing, come back in your face, settle back into the original pile, end up on cars, etc. The amount of dust generated by this uncontrolled dump is both fine and coarse, and is quite a large amount at one time because the dumpster bottom is far below where you dump it, so it’s got a lot of hang time and velocity build up to come crashing down and kick up more dust.

Anyhow, just something to think about.

That is good info, I have only dumped the shop vacs.

Bong… Well. If it is available commercially, it is also avail surplus somewhere. A second vortex might do too. But I’ll tell you what, given the heaps of scorn and derision… I’ll just put my time towards other projects. Plenty to do.