Reorganization proposal electronics and surrounding areas

All,

So long as I am going through everything and sorting, I’d like to reorganize storage on:

Pallet Racks above electronics and adjacent.
Wire Shelves and Grey Bins.

We have lots of grey bins, and these are better storage solutions for many things than lingerie boxes. So, IEC cables, mice, USB, etc would go into stacked grey bins on racks & maximize space usage and ease of access.

Those wire shelves are in everyone’s way, and we could put workspace there.

I’d like to move a shelf with bins somewhere for commonly used items (screws, bolts, etc, cables), and banish what’s there to the pallet racks. We’re using our best space for storing broken hard drives and modems to dial AOL!!

I think I can make everything visible and accessible and a whole lot easier.We can also clearly label things.

This will even free up more space, as we can stack the grey bins, and no longer would have 10 giant boxes only 1/4 full.

Anyone object?

In short -

1). replace cardboard boxes with stacking parts bins on palette racks above CAD and electronics area.
2). Ditch / move shelves in the middle of the space and put that stuff in deeper storage.
3). Use shelves and bins at normal height for most commonly used items. These shelves could go elsewhere and not obstruct so much space.

Lorin

I’d like to move a shelf with bins somewhere for commonly used items (screws, bolts, etc, cables), and banish what’s there to the pallet racks. We’re using our best space for storing broken hard drives and modems to dial AOL!!

I feel the same way about the entire shelf taken up with $10 of scrap in the woodshop.

Sounds like a grand idea.

If the scrap weren’t such cheap, formaldehyde containing lumber, I’d say time for a bonfire !!!

While doing this, it might be good to get an inventory of what we have…

Actually I was thinking about the metal stuff at the bottom of the pallet rack with the member boxes.
I’ve thrown away a lot of the overflowing wood scraps. Scraps are great, but when it’s a trip hazard, time to clean house a bit.

Every month around cleanup time I would go through the wood scrap. I organized the stuff that was still useful and threw away the scrap that was not. That pile of scrap is often used as spoil boards (such as for drilling holes without tear out), as soft clamps for projects that for example require more than one bar clamp, for prototypes of projects, etc.

I think it’s still useful to have scrap like that, and purge what accumulates occasionally (people tend to save things that aren’t so useful). It took about 20 minutes each month - two weeks. I’ll help with this in the future if ya like!

Just saw your message :stuck_out_tongue: All the metal scrap that is under the member storage area is just that… it is scrap! When it gets full we take it over to Garden Street and make some moolah for the Hive. :slight_smile:

I’ll try to do a scrap run the week after thanksgiving…

-D

Tiffany, I am currently doing inventories on things that I move. It’ll take a while…

Just saw your message :stuck_out_tongue: All the metal scrap that is under the member storage area is just that… it is scrap! When it gets full we take it over to Garden Street and make some moolah for the Hive. :slight_smile:

Right, my point was that when we’re spending money to increase the member storage that also storing an entire pallet shelf worth of scrap seems less useful. It’s the juxtaposition that bothering me. I’m guessing it’s ~$10, and I live right next to a scrap yard, which I visit fairly regularly, so I’ve some feel for it. I’m suggesting that if we added a shelf, instead to the area we’d have more member storage almost immediately. That to me seems more useful than scrap that’s overflowing into the walk space, and causing a trip hazard.

If we had more space I’d be all for storing scrap/potential project stuff, but I feel that that is not the place we’re in. Further it seems like it would be more efficient if it was closer to the front or back door. With it in the wood shop it’s right where people would want their storage to be.

Just my two cents, I’ve got my member storage, I’m thinking about other people at this point. I can think of at least 3-4 member who do not have a storage box, and might like one.

I think we should check with Kevin to see if any of it is useful for his class. Lots of bits with sheet steel.

After that I’ll help!

One of the longstanding “policies” at the hive was that we would try to dispose of what mess we make as responsibly as possible. There is work towards documenting this on the wiki, even. At one point, I think scrapping played a more active role in space income, but that hasn’t been the case for years. At this point, we try to recycle as much as possible not so much for the dollar value that it has but more the moral value in not filling landfills more than absolutely necessary. We try to get computer bits to the Tri State Computer recycling people not to get a tax donation (which we don’t need) but because it helps avoid landfilling tech waste. Also, I’ve many times raided metal/electronics scrap and used useful pieces of it, just as the wood scrap routinely gets used.

I don’t have a member storage box because I didn’t like the box plan, I still don’t like it and not using the system is my subtle way of expressing my displeasure with it. (but I also know that I don’t have the time or motivation to propose and implement something better. So I deal and rarely talk about it.) I think there are plenty of less bitchy members who would love to have a box for storage and you are totally right that the scrap cuts into space available for member storage. If you can think of a better way to provide some space to store scrap and free up space for more member storage on the pallet racks, go for it! This would be a win-win as far as I’m concerned.

-D

One of the longstanding “policies” at the hive was that we would try to dispose of what mess we make as responsibly as possible.

I can get behind that, I’ve been trying to fill the back of my car every once in a while with trashbags full of empty pop cans, I usually get about $6-8 for a full trunk load, but the scrap yard is right on the way to Lowes/Home Depot, where I also live.

If you can think of a better way to provide some space to store scrap and free up space for more member storage on the pallet racks, go for it! This would be a win-win as far as I’m concerned.

Is it possible to stack it in front of the PTDR track in the hall? That’s right inside the back door.

I agree.

1. I have tried to say this a BUNCH of times, but we would have MUCH more space if we simply used storage efficiently, and moved some things around. A couple years ago I proposed putting the Electronics racks against the walls, using the top shelves, etc etc etc. If anyone is interested I can draw it up and show you at the meeting tonight.

2. I don’t like the box thing. I keep my stuff in my truck box. Diversity in storage!!

See folks in a bit…

Lorin

I took a second look at the boiler area. Well, odds are it’s asbestos. Ah well. Perhaps the land lord would let us store stuff between the boilers, as the newer stuff seems to run smack dab into pipes that are plainly burst by freezing. Sure it will need a dehumidifier, but hey, space is space? If the newer boiler thingy is not being used, perhaps it could be removed? It was steel. Even if it bumped the rent up a tad, it might be darn handy to have.

And if there is spare area outside, what about a 20 or 40 foot container?

I like the idea of parking a storage container outside, perhaps where the mini-dumpster that is full of random shit is? That would be a great place to store scrap and other things that we don’t really care about being stolen…
-D

Seconded. Anybody know what the lease says is for leaving things out back? I think we could move all the tubs out there, Probably need holes in the bottom to let water out.

I’ll jump in. A Hive storage container out back is a new thought with questions and is not a quick/easy decision. Would the Hive own the container, pay rent to Garden Street to locate it on-site, and keep it under lock-and-key, all TBD? I’d prefer to reopen the dormant discussion with Garden Street on the $259/mo adjacent room space first, my two cents…

JimD

Doh! I need to read better. I was thinking just sticking stuff out back, no storage container.

A lot of folks I know in New Mexico have used containers and I don’t think it suits hive:

1. If you’re not organized it becomes an elaborate pile o’ crap

2. Leaking and rusting.

Yesterday I found a 4ft box on a palette rack that had… drum roll… A SINGLE SERIAL CABLE!!!

I think we’d have hundreds more square feet if we invested time, energy, and some money in smart storage. More shelves on racks, ditch the cardboard boxes, make storage visible, small part storage, and rent a storage space for the damn PT drag racing track and other crap.

PT drag racing is awesome, but it’s 300 sq feet+ of lost workspace in the middle of the hive 320 days a year.

Lorin