Proposal to buy 4*8' sheets of 1/4" plywood for future CNC classes

Hi All,
Thus far the CNC classes have included an endmill and a decent chunk of nice plywood for the students to practice with. We are at the end of the 5x5 sheets and need to purchase more. Rather than ordering a bunch in, it seems far more convenient to purchas the 1/4" 4x8 sheets that are already at the hive. So my proposal is to purchase the sheets that are currently at the hive on the flat wood storage I put up around new years. This way we have continued stock for the classes. If needed, I would happily be in charge of keeping track of expenses for them, etc, as I have been doing.

Will get a cost/numbers together when I get the chance to count the number of sheets that are there (and haven’t already been purchased).

Cheers,

“Rather than ordering a bunch in, it seems far more convenient to purchas the 1/4” 4x8 sheets that are already at the hive. "

I think you mean the 1/2" sheets, is that correct? There are no 1/4" sheets.

I think you’re asking for about $1500-2000 here.

20-40 sheets at $50 per sheet.

If only for the classes, it’s not likely to exceed 1 sheet per month.

I would also like to see it be able to be bought by members to use fir personal use if there will not be heavy use from the Certification.
Either way, so we dont scrape $2000 dollars of wood due to Us moving at “Hive speed” I am all for this.

I would also like to see it be able to be bought by members to use fir personal use if there will not be heavy use from the Certification.

Eagerly awaiting your proposal, might have been a bit more timely back in November when this kicked off. Maybe we can discuss at the next Hive meeting you attend, or next time you’re in the hive.

Either way, so we dont scrape $2000 dollars of wood due to Us moving at “Hive speed” I am all for this.

Not sure what speed moving at around a 6-7 weeks is to you. Also not sure why you think this needs to be scrapped, instead of just taken home by the owner.

Not trying to be a smart ass however it was discussed by A LOT of members over the month about the coy/hive option to buy the wood at an incredibly efficient manner was what everyone was in agreement on, just minor details to be figured out the final resting place as the we had increased our sq. footage. That’s why I feel a full on proposal was not made because so many people just figured it was no longer an issue.

I know you stated earlier that you could fit the plywood in your car without issue however I have to say as someone thats main focus is vehicles and repair that it can be a rather painful task to do without causing any damage to the finish of even my suv that the seats all fold down. This could also free up valuable space in the member storage area as duplicates of common items would not be an issue and more partnering up to bring down specific wood for specific projects.

I think tiff already made a motion of proposal but if it needs wording to be valid I’ll go ahead and make one just to be official however leave the door open for others to submit for a vote as well.

So…
Hive wood bank proposal

This is to establish a community wood bank that will be stocked with sizes and types that are subject to change due to the primary wood for projects needed for classes and personal projects.

Invoice and pricing will be public knowledge and either the hive has the option to order and stock or a member if they choose to. Collaboration could be one be responsible for one size, a member who volunteers another size.

For billing and accounting purposes we can maintain a inventory log book written, digitally, or both. This will be a checks and ballance against the inventory numbers per invoices and hive leadership accounting/ established volunteer.

I ask for a vote in 3 weeks to allow the collective to set the variables in hive needs and allow everyone to get on the same page. If a better proposal with the variables in price and payment is brought forward I will drop this proposal. Any members in favor of this and would like to discuss specifics I encourage to do so. A separate mailing list thread can be created or if a gathering would be in favor of we can arrange a time.

-Kevin Schuler

I may have to do input remotely as I’m currently getting ready to head in for test as they think the bronchitis possibly went pneumonia even after taking the entire first round of antibiotics and breathing treatments throughout with the nebulizer. So I might still have a little bit before returning lol

Not trying to be a smart ass however it was discussed by A LOT of members over the month about the coy/hive option to buy the wood at an incredibly efficient manner was what everyone was in agreement on, just minor details to be figured out the final resting place as the we had increased our sq. footage. That’s why I feel a full on proposal was not made because so many people just figured it was no longer an issue.

Could be, honestly there were a few voices on the thread, but they were the minority (3-4) compared to the number of people who voted to remove all the non-hive owned plywood (13). Not sure why anybody felt it was no longer an issue, we clearly had a vote, which was entered into the meeting minutes, which are up on the wiki. Further, I’ve been speaking with Coy about this, and I’ve been pretty clear on what’s happening at each step of the way. Please explain to me what you feel was making the situation unclear.

I know you stated earlier that you could fit the plywood in your car without issue however I have to say as someone thats main focus is vehicles and repair that it can be a rather painful task to do without causing any damage to the finish of even my suv that the seats all fold down.

I’ve been doing it for years with no issues, you just put a piece of carpet or cardboard on the roof top. When I used to work at a hardware store loading cars it was a fairly common occurrence, and that’s not the only suggestion I made.

Anyway, that’s largely irrelevant, I’d like to see the current system where one member has 10’ of storage space while the rest of us have 2’ for boxes done away with.

Oh, and I’ve had a few members come up to me after the Jan 3rd meeting wanting to know why all the plywood had not been removed after the vote. From my perspective the lack of removal has been the unclear part. I’ve seen no explanation on the mailing list, no votes, nothing.

I just sent a vote proposal out.

I guess with enough twine, zip ties, and carpet anything is possible. But hey I thank you for the extra mile that hardware store went to strap down a sheet of plywood. I really really hope they only did it to vehicles with roof racks that were weight rated. I would highly not recommend doing that for anyone without proper straps, tie down points both side to side and front to back.

Given the fact of volunteering for the township dept as well as being a mechanic I have had to both clean up debrise that people let fly off their car such as plywood and take off. What’s real bad now is how thin roofs are and that they rely on the pillars for most of the support and they sit way lower than the curve of the roof.

You know a ton when it comes to wood working and I wouldn’t second guess you if you said that’s going to catch and kick back through me and the wall lol but in all seriousness it is extremely dangerous without a roof rack and proper lashing straps.

On a side note if the hive is wanting to go a different direction possibly than what had been talk about when the lease went through and more sq.ft. would become available. This may be one of those votes where it will not be unaimous for the most part. I have seen post for figuring something out but there may be a side to things I’m not seeing. If anyone has downsides I think it would be great to have an open discussion about pros v cons.

It would be great to hear concerns, opinions, and ideas if members have input…?

My main concerns with this proposal are

1. Does whoever owns the wood want to sell it?
  2. Would it be less expensive than other options?

What I have heard is the plywood currently at the hive is extremely high grade (expensive). It is higher grade (more expensive) than I would use for any project, so I can say I would never use it. Also, for teaching and people doing their first project, high grade (expensive) material is exactly the wrong kind of material to use.

So from my point of view, even if they do want to sell it, I would have no reason to buy it.

If what I have heard is incorrect and this isn’t more expensive than what we can get material more appropriate for teaching a class with, then you might have an argument.

Coy will be able to give pricing info but when I needed a sheet, the quality was indeed high and the price was very reasonable. It will be at cost however discounts applicable because not buying just 1 piece at a time will keep it cheaper.

It is going to be there for all to buy, it is not one person’s personal storage.

As that wood is used we can always look at cost vs grade when resupply as well and mix it up.

Hope that helps.

dead-horse.gif

Hahahaha nice I like that

dead-horse.gif

You could be correct about the dangers, you seem to know more about cars than I do.

I do know it’s not a big problem for a sheet or two, and there’s always the hw store truck/delivery for larger loads. In the case of something being used on the CNC, cutting it into 4’x4’ boards or buying the smaller “project boards” isn’t a bad approach. I also don’t drive on the highway, sticking to the back roads it’s fairly safe, because you’re correct that plywood can turn into a sail very quickly. I’m very careful to tie down the corners for this reason, and to double up on the twine.

I must admit I got nervous one time I had to load 10 sheets of 3/4 drywall on top of a chevy chevette, but he made it home okay.

Got any interesting picks of some of the wrecks you’ve fixed? Not doubting you, just morbidly curious to see a car with the top ripped off by something like this. To me the large problems seems to be the load shifting with stops/starts, or the wind getting a hold of it.

ok so it appears that there are 22 sheets of 1/2" 4x8’ plywood. 2 of those are personally owned by Mike/myself. The rest are owned by Coy. since they are 48$ a piece, at 20 sheets, that is 960$. I think that is probably excessive. I would like to have 5-10 sheets on hand for future classes. so I will amend my proposal to this:

1. Maintain a stock of 4’ x 8’ plywood for members to purchase from the Hive as well as to use for materials for classes.
  1. Sub proposal: Purchase 10 sheets of very nice plywood from current member Coy to have as stock. (total cost of 480$)
  2. Purchase additional cheaper sheets of plywood to have available for purchase also (~200$)
  3. Remaining wood on current shelf at the hive should be removed by January 31, 2017. Any wood not on member storage or purchased by hive should also be removed by then.
  1. Have flat plywood storage available, as already erected in the form of pallet racks in front of the lounge
  1. Sub proposal: Purchase additional crossbeams for further flat storage at higher heights to maintain different types of plywood stock on different shelves. It has been brought up multiple times that vertical storage is very bad for large sheets of plywood. This would alleviate the issues with the vertical wood storage. Having additional shelves would allow members to have flat wood storage as needed.
  2. From pallet rack proposal in July, 1000$ was budgeted for it and I believe total cost was around 650 or so (Jim D can give exact figure). Use additional money from that vote to purchase said crossbeams and shelving materials for necessary shelves.

I believe these are all reasonable things, and given the increased number of people getting certified on the CNC and wanting to use it to make things, having a stock of nice plywood at the hive makes sense to me. I am perhaps slightly biased as we have bought several sheets from Coy already and used them for projects around the house. I would love to hear pros and cons of this proposal, as well as any arguments against having flat wood storage.

Thanks,
Tiffany

I think your suggestion is decent Tiffany.

I’d like to see some language on how member would go about paying for the lumber. The other problem with having materials at the Hive is the potential for them to walk off like various tools, wood clamps, etc. We need to make this explicit and easy to avoid problems with casual theft.

It might be nice if there was some sort of RFID based reader/lock to make it explicit who was removing plywood.

I’m fine with a camera and a CONSPICOUS sign which documents clearly prices for materials on the rack.

-D

Great job getting a specific proposal ready. :slight_smile:

A small thing in the sub proposal is that money voted on “expires” after 3 months if it is not used. So you would just need to tack on the additional cost for the flat storage to the total for the proposal, since that money was from July.

Thanks