Air Conditioning - Let’s Make it a COOL Summer at Hive13 - Request for Donations

Summer is coming. It will be hot and humid all too soon.

Last summer, Hive13 opened windows and ran fans to stay safe from COVID.

It was ugly hot. The old window A/C units from 2929sg were not enough.

Our lowest bid for central A/C was $8400. Plus work Hive13 would need to do. Worried that $9000+ was a lot of money for a few weeks of cool, we put it off until 2021.

Now it’s 2021 and $9000 for Air Conditioning is still a lot to take from Hive13 reserves.

We are asking members to Donate what they can to help Make it a COOL Summer and Hive13.

There has already been $1000 donated for A/C.

We only need $8000 more.

Who will be Next? No donation is too small.

Be creative, some members may have extra options such as employer donations to support nonprofits like Hive13.

Every dollar donated means another dollar that can be used to improve Hive13 in another way.

While we are asking members to contribute what they can toward installing A/C there are more ways you can help to Make Hive13 a COOL Place this Summer:

1) Recommend a friendly A/C contractor who would give Hive13 a good price.

2) Help with the work Hive13 needs to do for A/C to work in our budget.

· Two Electric service drops - 50A 230v circuits outside – $400 est

· Two Condenser support brackets / pad on first floor roof – Hive13 Make?

· Build a wall and doors to keep the cool up front – Hive13

· Cover the elevator #4 opening to keep the cool in Hive13 – Hive13

· Deliver the A/C Condenser(s) to the lower roof -2nd floor window – No crane needed

Contractors Scope of Work including all labor and material:

· Provide and install (2) 5 ton 13 to 16 seer condensing units on 1st floor roof

· Provide and install (2) 5 ton case evaporator coils in the plenum duct

· Reconnect supply air ductwork

· Install refrigerant piping including pressure test - Charge with R410A refrigerant

· Install control and power wiring

· Provide and install condensate drain piping to the exterior

· Perform system test and start up - Check operation

Can you Beat These Quotes?

BME - $13,220

Rick’s HVAC $ 9,890

Advanced Mechanical of Northern Kentucky (installed the furnaces) $ 8,400

Make your pledge by posting to this thread or contact Jim Dallam directly if you wish to remain anonymous.

Thanks for all you do for Hive13.

I’ve got two HVAC people to talk to. What kind of length from coil to evaporator for each ot the two units? Are we going to concern ourselves with the P word or just want to get it done?
-Dave B.

Roughly 25ft. Just out the wall and down to the lower roof.

Last week we launched the “Let’s Make it a COOL Summer at Hive13” fund drive.

I can now share that, so far, five generous members have stepped up to pledge a total of $2,750.00 toward the $10,000 needed to make air conditioning happen at Hive13 for this summer.

This is really awesome! But we need everyone to contribute what they can to reach this goal.

We are asking each of our current 110 members to consider and make a one-time donation for air conditioning; perhaps an amount equivalent to your single month’s membership, or more. It is not so much, but collectively, it adds up. Time is running out. Every bit of your donation will go towards keeping our COOL community in our COOL space making COOL projects during the upcoming hot summer months as we grow out of this COVID pandemic and get on with life. How COOL will that be?

Jim Dallam - Hive Treasurer (jim*hive13.org)
P.S. - You can email your AC fund pledge intent to me directly and then pay via PayPal, cash, or check.

Hi Jim,
I was a little busy … I want to donate $100 for the AA?
instructions please.
Greetings, Vicente

I will also donate $100. I will look into whether my employer can
match before pulling the trigger. I should know that by tomorrow.

Thank you,
Rob

Hi All:

Treasurer JimD with a second update on the AC fund drive. As of early last night (3/17), about 10% of membership has pledged and the total is above $3,300.00, so we are at about 1/3 of the $10k goal. More pledges came in later last night that are not yet in this total.

This all is really awesome! But we are shooting for 100% participation, regardless of the amount, towards this shared goal. Join in to help make it a COOL summer at Hive13!

We asking each of our current ~110 members to consider and make a one-time donation for air conditioning; perhaps an amount equivalent to your single month’s membership, or more, or less. Individually, it is not so much, but collectively, it adds up. Time is running out. Every bit of your donation will go towards keeping our COOL community in our COOL space making COOL projects during the upcoming hot summer months as we grow out of this COVID pandemic and get on with life. How COOL will that be?

P.S. - You can Slack DM or email your AC fund pledge intent to me directly and then pay via PayPal, cash, or check.

Sounds good, im in to donate.

Hi All:

Treasurer JimD with a third update on the AC fund drive. So far, 15% of membership has stepped up and pledged a total of $4,400.00, towards the $10k goal.

This continues to be awesome! But now is the time for the rest of us to do our part to fill in “the long tail”.

We are shooting for 100% participation, regardless of the amount, towards this shared goal. We asking each of our current ~110 members to consider and make a one-time donation for air conditioning; perhaps an amount equivalent to your single month’s membership, or more, or less. Individually, it is not so much, but collectively, it adds up. Time is running out. Do it before midnight tonight so you don’t forget! Every bit of your donation will go towards keeping our COOL community in our COOL space making COOL projects during the upcoming hot summer months as we grow out of this COVID pandemic and get on with life. How COOL will that be?

P.S. - You can Slack DM or email your AC fund pledge intent to me. Most folks are using their personal PayPal account to make a one-time “Send Money” transaction to the Hive13 PayPal account (that includes my email for reference). This is the same account used for regular membership payments. Do add a note “for the AC Fund Drive” in the memo field. We can also arrange to take cash, paper check, or other means if you prefer. Do let me know if you want your donation to be credited/recorded as “anonymous”.

I can donate $100 for AC.

Just need to know how to do so.

An easy way to contribute is to make a onetime payment through PayPal to HIVE13. Just mention Air Conditioning in the note. Paypal shows it as a payment to jim@hive13.org.

Thanks.

Hi All:

Treasurer JimD with a fourth update on our AC fund drive. So far, 25% of our membership has pledged. We now have over half of our $10k goal in hand. We are getting there and should be able to meet (and exceed?) this goal!

Now is the time for the other 75% of us to step up to fill in the rest of the “the long tail”. It will be really COOL if we can get 100% participation, regardless of the individual amount. Every pledge counts. Don’t be left out.

As mentioned in the general meeting last night, as an encouragement, a COOL new large matching grant for donations is in the works, being organized by Chris Davis. Details to come, but jump in early (by mentioning this pending matching grant when you make your pledge NOW) to be in the pool of donors who get to double the impact of their pledge!

You will feel COOL when you do your part and make your COOL pledge contribution as a COOL member of our COOL community making COOL projects in our COOL new space that will actually/physically be REALLY COOL during the upcoming hot summer months, thanks to all the COOL contributors. How COOL will this be?

P.S. - You can Slack DM or email your AC fund pledge intent to me. Most folks are using their personal PayPal account to make a one-time “Send Money” transaction to the Hive13 PayPal account (that includes my email for reference). This is the same account used for regular membership payments. Do add a note “for the AC Fund Drive” in the memo field. We can also arrange to take cash, paper check, or other means if you prefer. Do let me know if you want your donation to be credited/recorded as “anonymous” and/or included in the pending matching grant.

Chipped in $100 towards the effort.

The following message was posted on SLACK yesterday, and is only now being posted here also.

Today continues the final countdown at 9…

The Hive13 AC Fund Drive will formally end in nine days; specifically at 7:45pm on Tuesday, May 4th, Star Wars day. MAY THE FORTH BE WITH YOU fellow members of the Hive community.

Still sitting on the fence? Offended at the audacity of the ask? Annoyed by the constant reminders? Feeling a financial pinch? Checking off all the rationalizations to say NO, not this time, not this cause? Maybe you are not a true-believer? Maybe with COVID and all, you are not taking advantage of all the Hive could be?

That’s OK. We get it and have many of the same thoughts. You still have a few more days to reflect on what will be your final answer at the deadline.

Your fellow members that have already pledged want the Hive to be first-and-foremost a COOL community. Getting 100% participation, at any financial level, is the validation we trust we will see. We believe things are, and will continue to get better. Understand that we pledge not for what we will get from it, but because this AC Fund Drive will make the Hive community’s future just that much COOLER in ways we do not (yet) fully appreciate.

The community “I WILL IF YOU WILL” spirit has motivated a not-yet-pledged anonymous member to request their $200 pledge be a third 2-for-1 match to inspire other not-yet-made pledges (that combine up to $200). Are you more comfortable being anonymous? We can make that work, if you prefer.

Consider to make your pledge now with a one-time PayPal “Send Money” to Hive13 [email = jim(at)hive13(dot)org] with the added note “for the AC fund drive”. This is the same destination as your regular Hive PayPal membership payments.

Stay tuned for further friendly reminders on the countdown to May the Forth!

Jim Dallam, Hive13 Treasurer, email: jim(at)hive13(dot)org, Slack direct message: @JimD, cell: 513.300.5164

Today continues the final countdown at 8…

No long-winded pitch today. We had a request for the current status details. See attached PNG file.

Hive13_Ac_Fund-Drive_Update_20210425.PNG

Today continues the final countdown at 7…

We are down to the final week with 7-days left till the AC Fund Drive ends next Tuesday, and May the Fourth be with you!

Five generous new pledges came in between last night and this morning totaling $750. These took advantage of all but $50 of the standing 2:1 matches on the table. Thanks to one-and-all! The total took a major bump up and is now at $6,820. The long tail is starting to wag the dog. How about a next new round of the “I WILL IF YOU WILL” challenge? Name your favorite Hive shop when you pledge for a little friendly competition. Will welding receive more support than woodworking? Which shop will bring in the most donations? Use your pledge to challenge another member to make their pledge. We are family and there is still time to make your voices heard. Express your pledge wishes to Treasurer jim(at)hive13(dot)org now and avoid the last-minute rush.

Here is today’s chart update:

Hive13_Ac_Fund-Drive_Update_20210426.PNG

Today continues the final countdown at 6…

We are still short of the target with six days left. Today was not our strongest day. We did receive one member pledge and with that, all of the 2-for-1 matches offered have now been used. It is time for the long-tail of not-yet-pledged to step up, at any financial level. We will need their many (even small) pledges to add up. 100% participation will get us to the goal by the deadline.

Meanwhile (despite the exciting tension and uncertainty) we are going ahead and making plans for the (anticipated) successful end of the AC Fund Drive.SAVE THE DATE for the (anticipated) victory celebration this coming Tuesday MAY THE FOURTH at 7:30pm at the Hive, 2701SG.At that time, we will stage a very-brief, new-normal, hybrid (live/virtual) meeting and celebration in strict compliance with Ohio and CDC guidelines for pandemic precautions.

• The comfortably VAXED members are encouraged to attend live
  • The NOT-YET-VAXED and more cautious members are encouraged to attend virtually
    Evolving details for the celebration appear in today’s SLACK #discussion channel and are not (yet) included here for (much needed) brevity.

Send your pledge intentions to jim(at)hive13(dot)org.

Today continues the final countdown at 5…

I’m pumping out today’s update early. Know that pledges coming in later today won’t get acknowledged till tomorrow. Lots of the “has_been_pledged_but_not_yet_paid” money is starting to roll in and is not yet reflected in today’s update.

At this point, we still need a final $2,730 to hit the $10k goal.

We hope to hear from the “not-yet-pledged”, preferably sooner rather than later, but hey, the drama is exciting. A pledge at any financial level is OK and welcome. We really want to get 100% participation by everyone in our COOL community. Will we get more than the target and do something extra COOL and crazy more than air conditioning?

Towards the 100% participation goal, it was noted that a percentage of the pledges that have come in are from members that have a designated Plus-One. I don’t know anyone’s personal financial relationships, but email me if you want to re-allocate your “already-pledged” single member payment to be proportioned/split to credit both You and your Plus-One in the accounting. It will give us a bump in the participation numbers. The same 2-for-1 accounting can be applied to the “not-yet-pledged” to credit both You and your Plus-One in the accounting. All generosity is welcomed and appreciated.

I’ll be on the GVL2LVL drive the rest of today. I’ll have time to chat so give me call for any needed Q&A or related discussion. Thoughtful electronic responses may be delayed till later tonight or tomorrow. Reach out to my cell: 513.300.5164 or email jim(at)hive13(dot)org.

Capture.PNG

Today continues the final countdown at 4…

That’s right, only four more days till the AC Fund Drive deadline this Tuesday, May 4th, at 7:30pm. Avoid the last minute rush. The lines are open now to make your pledge. Do it before midnight tonight, so you don’t forget. Send your pledge intentions to jim(at)hive13(dot)org.