Wiki "Jointer Requires Training"

I’d like to change this, since the jointer is pretty darned simple to use, and anybody who knows enough to use it probably understand enough to not insert fingers into the sharp spinning bits. (Yes I know, I believe in my fellow man, must be something wrong with me).

Since it’s not clear why it’s currently got “Needs Training”, I thought I’d ask before changing it. IMHO, there are a LOT of other more dangerous and tricky tools in the shop, starting with the table saw. If I don’t hear any objections in the next week, it’s going to no training required.

Sorry, the spindle sander also has this same comment. I don’t see a good rational for that to be “Requires Training” either.

I see your point (and I agree - spindle sander not so scary, table saw - scary) but I think some of the intent was to not have someone with no idea of how to run the equipment just walk up and start chewing away with a nail embedded board.
Perhaps more of a “if you don’t know how to use this tool please get help from someone who does” might work without having a certification required or training needed.

No idea why the spindle sander is listed as such… But the jointer was like that because it was not sharpened/calibrated, and the average person looking to use that tool wouldn’t know how to get it to working order without training. Now that it’s all good to go, take that raining requirement off. Same with the sander.

Maybe we need a bright / fluorescent warning label that can serve as an intermediary between nothing and “needs certification” ?

Something along the lines of:

“THIS MACHINE CAN HURT OR KILL YOU. But certification is not required… Use it if you are familiar with how to do so but it would be a really good idea for you to ask for help if you need it.”

Table saw, drill press, etc. ?

-D

So, Andrew, you really don’t want to have weekly jointer training classes?

I’m with Dave. “Think twice” measures are effective.

image.png

Lorin

Also, just in case, know that there are specialized table saw attorneys!

https://www.schmidtlaw.com/table-saw-injury-lawyer/

Lorin

image.png

Andrew

IMHO table saw is better after training, especially as
not everyone understands the difference between using a table saw and a band saw.

John2pt0

I think this is a good discussion. When should certification be required? Danger to user? How much? Danger of damaging machine? How much? What happens if someone uses a machine that they’re not certified on? If these things have been answered and documented, I missed it.
-D

I guess my main point is almost any tool is better after training, but when should we bother with certification?
-D

Right now we have these tools that are certification/training only: The Gigabot and the Ultamaker, both lasers, the CNC, the welder(s), the manual mill, the metal lathe. Although this has been a bit informal we do have a selection process. The tools we select for certification before use (not training before use, or suggested learning… but rather hard certification) are tools that meet one ore more of these requirements:

1. It is complicated to use. Meaning watching youtube videos and reading manuals won’t cut it when it comes to using that specific machine in real life. Hands on, directed training (or at least certification of existing skills) is required. Tools that fall under this category include the welder, the CNC, and the metal lathe.

2. It can damage or destroy itself in an expensive and potentially non-reversible way if not used properly. Tools that fall under this category include the Gigabot, the CNC, the lasers, the manual mill, and 3D printers.

3. It can seriously hurt or kill the user if not used properly. (obviously you can hurt yourself with anything… say a power drill, or a soldering iron… but we’re going past common sense and basic training/education that can be had online or in a manual). Tools that fall under this category include the metal lathe.

As I said, the reasoning has been a bit informal, but that is the general gist of it as we’ve learned over the years. I’d love to get this written down in the wiki. (Volunteering to do this myself).

Obviously getting trained is best, but being able to self-teach how to use tools is a valuable skill, and something that most people do if they have a home shop. Yes some tools are still dangerous, but not everything needs a hard exclusive list of users that have been personally trained and approved.

I think the table saw qualifies under “3”, in Elly’s note.

John2pt0

I think the metal lathe falls under all three. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks,

Brad “still have all my fingers” Walsh

It’s where you end up when the tools injure you. The band saw requires a band aid, the table saw, you’re probably on a hospital table.

I’d be fine with a quick list of do/don’t for the various tools, but I’m firmly in the “safety third” camp about general warning signs.

@Lorin, I’m fine with doing some training on the jointer, I was thinking it might be a good thing for my “Open House” warden requirement. I think some people who don’t know the tool might learn something.