who can help.

I need to know how to make a harddrive on my airport extreme accessible at work with the drive being at my house. I know this is a easy question for some of you but i am having a heck of a time with it.

Ok so i was a little vega on what i was trying to do i guess. Sorry i was limited on time for the first post. So i have a macbook air that i use for work and home i have a 2TB hard drive hooked up through usb that is on my airport extreme at home, i back up files for work and home on it. At my house i can connect wirelessly to it to update my back ups. I want to be able to connect from work to be able to back up and retrieve things from the drive. How would i go about doing this?

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

I’m no expert in the world of playing with a Airport , but without some kind of funny hardware tunneling setup I would think you would need a machine of some form left at home in order to remote access it.

Matt, check out Method #2 on https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3413

Good luck,

Ian

You will need dynamic DNS and port forwarding setup with your router. Know much about this?

i know about the port forwarding but nothing about the DNS.

You will need dynamic DNS and port forwarding setup with your router. Know much about this?

Sent from my iPhone.

Ok so i was a little vega on what i was trying to do i guess. Sorry i was limited on time for the first post. So i have a macbook air that i use for work and home i have a 2TB hard drive hooked up through usb that is on my airport extreme at home, i back up files for work and home on it. At my house i can connect wirelessly to it to update my back ups. I want to be able to connect from work to be able to back up and retrieve things from the drive. How would i go about doing this?

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Hive13 Hackerspace” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cincihackerspace+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Hive13 Hackerspace” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cincihackerspace+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Matt Cox
Warehouse Manger
matt.tufco@gmail.com
Mobile: 859-512-2302
Fax: 859-689-1401

i0HaA.png
This email may contain information which is confidential and/or privileged. The information is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, copy or distribute the contents. If you have received this email in error, please notify me by return email and delete the material from your computer. Thank you.

Dynamic DNS is basically a way to always know your home IP address from the outside. Your ISP might change it at any time and, with a Dynamic DNS, your router can periodically tell your Dynamic DNS what its new IP address is. This way, you just type in mattcox.dyndns.com (for example) when you would otherwise need to know your router’s IP address. Pick a free Dynamic DNS service out of this list and then follow the rest of the steps in that Method #2 from the apple forum I linked to earlier. It’ll explain how to set your APE to report it’s IP address to your new DDNS. Then it explains how to log into that server from the internet.

Good luck,

Ian

i0HaA.png

thanks for the help. I will try this when i get home tonight and see if i can not get it working.

Dynamic DNS is basically a way to always know your home IP address from the outside. Your ISP might change it at any time and, with a Dynamic DNS, your router can periodically tell your Dynamic DNS what its new IP address is. This way, you just type in mattcox.dyndns.com (for example) when you would otherwise need to know your router’s IP address. Pick a free Dynamic DNS service out of this list and then follow the rest of the steps in that Method #2 from the apple forum I linked to earlier. It’ll explain how to set your APE to report it’s IP address to your new DDNS. Then it explains how to log into that server from the internet.

Good luck,

Ian

Matt Cox
Warehouse Manger
matt.tufco@gmail.com

i0HaA.png
This email may contain information which is confidential and/or privileged. The information is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, copy or distribute the contents. If you have received this email in error, please notify me by return email and delete the material from your computer. Thank you.

Forgot to mention that there might be a way to do that a lot easier if you’re a Mobile Me subscriber. There’s a setting you’d have to change in your APE to allow sharing the drive.

Ian

i0HaA.png

Yea what they said :wink: , should work like a charm ! :smiley:

i0HaA.png

thanks i appreciate the help everyone.

Yea what they said :wink: , should work like a charm ! :smiley:

Matt Cox
Warehouse Manger
matt.tufco@gmail.com

i0HaA.png