What do we want to look like in the future?

Hello all,

Sorry for not putting this on the mailing list sooner, but I would like to get together and brainstorm how we want the hive to look like in the future. Topics that I would like to discuss include:

*How do we see the hive in 5 years?

*Membership levels

• What to do about people who can’t/don’t want to pay full price

• Define core mission, values, etc better than we have now

• How do we accommodate more people who do stuff?

• How do we handle getting grants (if we want to get grants)? Do we need a new position for this? Should we pay for a grant writer?

• When do we want to think about looking for a new space? Should we contact the city like so many other hackerspaces have done?

*Layout Roles and responsibilities of Leadership positions. Adding/removing/distributing responsibilities?

• Should leadership conversations be kept among leadership or shared amongst all members?

• Member application review: Go just to leadership? Or to the entire mailing list?

*Motivate individuals to put some effort into hive betterment

• hive programs

*Collaboration with other makerspaces (Dayton Diode)

*What can we do to draw in intrigue to the hive? Reference: Proto Buildbar

*What do we want to see added to the hive? (t-shirt making, car garage, painting room, etc)

Feel free to add any topics that you would like to discuss. The brainstorm will take place on Monday, July 6th around 5pm.
If you have any questions of comments, leave them here or shoot me a message at Dustin.Bruce@hive13.org

I would suggest anyone who wishes to attend to write down their thoughts now, and present them to me prior to the session so that we can keep the brainstorm organized and on topic.
I am going to try and structure this meeting in a particular way and would appreciate the cooperation on this matter.

Thanks for the understanding and patience, and I hope you all have a great Independence day!

Good writeup sir

Responded in line.

Hello all,

Sorry for not putting this on the mailing list sooner, but I would like to get together and brainstorm how we want the hive to look like in the future. Topics that I would like to discuss include:

Within 5 years we will have outgrown the current location if we don’t expand to take Frank’s (spelling) site or toward the glass woman’s side. We should look to expand to a larger location.

*Membership levels

I like the method we have currently. A full price and student price.
    If we are to do a price for people who can’t afford the 50 a month, i think We should have a way for members (or potential non student members) to put in a request/application for “student prices.”

We have to have some for the 501c3 status. If they change they may effect the 501st status. This needs to be in line with our bylaws and I believe should be handled under our bylaws concept and make do it as part of a larger collective. Not like a vote for spending.

We have the officers who can’t get payments based off our bylaws. We have wardens who get 50% membership.
    As part of our community it should be expected to do your part when you spend time there beyond the officers or area wardens. If we offer something it should non monetary, laser minute awards for example.

• How do we handle getting grants (if we want to get grants)? Do we need a new position for this? Should we pay for a grant writer?

I feel we should be willing to pay a grant writer for their expertise. It would be completely worth it. And yes there is no reason NOT to go for grants. We should have been going for grants since we got our 501c3 status. Including grants for properties.

• When do we want to think about looking for a new space? Should we contact the city like so many other hackerspaces have done?

We should start this soon. For new tools part of the discussion is “where are we gonna put it?” I feel that’s a sign we need to move to a larger site. I think it’s better to have sections not used and grow into them than figure out how to reorginize every time we get a new floor tool we.

*Layout Roles and responsibilities of Leadership positions. Adding/removing/distributing responsibilities?
This is part of our bylaws and thus needs special meetings required by state laws to be changed, this should not be handled in an informal meeting. (I do not know the full details of the law thus will leave it at that.)

• Should leadership conversations be kept among leadership or shared amongst all members?
    Not all conversations need to be public. The application process for example for each new member. There also may be a necessity to stay private for legal reasons. There should be a private list for the legal need.
    Did you know if you delete an email that may have been used in court at anytime that may incriminate someone (even if it’s not you) the future you can be charged with destruction of evidence? Do we want every member to be responsible for that?

• Member application review: Go just to leadership? Or to the entire mailing list?
    Seeing that you do not have to be a member to be on this list. I feel it’s just needed of leadership.

Do we award them? With what? Money? That is slippery, I say no to money or special accommodations.
Maybe the COO & CTO can put major improvement items on a board, once someone completes x amount of items they get a “motivator”:
Maybe something that saves the member money… free laser minutes, access to a locker where they can get mill bit, roll of filament etc. A “prize bin” if you want to call it that. Or other ideas?

• hive programs
    Programs or projects? Details?

I like this idea. This would fall under the president’s job description.

Making us a place people WANT to be at. This can be handled through making our name known:
Advertisement
Going to any and every event we can, including getting tables at Scifi, anime, etc conventions.
Making public events and getting the word to the public, our website & public lists is not enough to get people here alone.
Having the hive have hard to get items and the ability to use them.

*What do we want to see added to the hive? (t-shirt making, car garage, painting room, etc
This requires a large space but with a large enough location all this and more. But ideas I have are:
More Ways to fabricate items, mold making, vaccuum form.
Project rooms than can be dedicated to large projects. Both hive and personal. (For example I want to build a klingon bridge but the room to have it properly designed at the hive is not available)
Sound room(s) for recording.

Feel free to add any topics that you would like to discuss. The brainstorm will take place on Monday, July 6th around 5pm.
This should give more time than 1 week (this wasn’t even a week notice) to set up a time for some serious issues. (Bylaw change special meetings require even more time to announce.)

If you have any questions of comments, leave them here or shoot me a message at Dustin.Bruce@hive13.org

I would suggest anyone who wishes to attend to write down their thoughts now, and present them to me prior to the session so that we can keep the brainstorm organized and on topic.
This type of meeting should have discussions so it’s not completely controlled by one person.
I am going to try and structure this meeting in a particular way and would appreciate the cooperation on this matter.
Again earlier statement about group discussion and not ran by one person over the complete future of the hive. If we give it more time from announcement to the meeting we can have a group discussion for the topics.

You asked for some topics for discussion at the brainstorming meeting…

I’d like to add to the list. (at the bottom)

*Membership levels

• hive programs

*What do we want to see added to the hive? (t-shirt making, car garage, painting room, etc)

• how to encourage a maker/hacker community so that the Hive does not become just a shared workshop

Nancy

As Dave Menninger mentioned during the last board meeting, there is a documented ongoing strategic plan for Hive13. This seems to have fallen into disuse of late.

It may be worthwhile to begin Monday’s discussion by reviewing both the comments from our last board meeting and that strategic plan. This will hopefully reduce unproductive time spent regenerating an existing list of topics, and allow conversation to move more rapidly into implementation steps and assignment of responsibilities.

Board meeting - http://wiki.hive13.org/view/Board_Meeting_-_May_11,_2015
Strategic plan - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xFcDnUAI-DgP89pDtRFA1lZ-qGV6hnZRktRrEhCGl9k/edit

• Ry

PS: The strategic plan document link is restricted to @hive13.org email account holders, due to containing some small amount of Hive financial information. If you are unable to view the document, and interested in reviewing it before the meeting, feel free to message me privately. I will arrange access.

Just something I would like to throw out there as a thought. I know we have area wardens that have their hands completely full of things yo do and our very busy, has it ever been brought up to possibly have 2 wardens or a Co warden of an area. I am amazed at things of people in postion have accomplished like the woodworking days with Elly, electronics days with various people and Ryan well I see him everywhere helping. My question is do these people need help to get possibly classes going and shared learning for projects and stuff in general. So yeah the main point if we can help free up people down there who are able to teach and keep them from getting burnt out would it benefit the hive. I myself am not up to speed on most things to teach however if I can do busy work/build/fabricate whatever to free up people who have that ability especially with the arduino, raspberry pie, etc to do what they do best is just a thought of mine. I may be completely wrong about how people feel but just wanted to throw it out there that hopefully getting somewhat of teamwork together could get some good results if we have the body power that will do their part

I would simply like to echo what Nancy contributed:

• Going forward, how can we hold onto, and strengthen the core COMMUNITY at hive13?

As membership grows, budgets expand, people come and go, this is an issue at every collaborative. It is both the greatest strength, and most fragile commodity at HIVE13. I have absolutely no interest in another “tech shop”. I’d rather bust my ass at this place, even when it’s a mess, because people here are intelligent, awesome, and interesting (and also sorta nuts).

Lorin

I’m going to be stuck in Florida until probably the end of the month, but, I’ll probably try to dial into this on Monday.

Ian

I want and desire but in traffic. My one topic is the following. If a member is in financial straits. I believe we should do what is needed with options to keep said members as long as said members is willing to work with the hive. Then actions will be taken. This can be options as advertising for the hive as describe, random tasks such as organizing whatever, creation of training materials or whatever crazy idea we have to help them out. As well as helping with income process as part of the option. With a desire to want to fix current situation. If unable to work with then we have done the best we can do and next steps need to happen decided by the hive.

I would suggest that anyone who wants to work on adding to or modifying the organization of the Hive, first reads the Hackerspace Design Patterns.

The Hackerspace Design Patterns are not a law, but they do offer up a lot of good advice for organizing a group. If nothing else, reading over the design patterns will give you an idea as to WHY the group is organized the way it is now.

Hackerspaces.org wiki page: https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/Design_Patterns

Original PDF Link: http://events.ccc.de/congress/2007/Fahrplan/attachments/1003_Building%20a%20Hacker%20Space.pdf