What classes should we schedule for January and February? What do YOU want to learn?

Seems like I’ve hit a bit of a nerve. I was mostly joking, and partially despairing with the hope that the guilty party(s) might be shamed a bit into improving by a bit of gentle nudging.

I’ve seen the small tools after Brad spent a lot of time organizing, and then the literal next day when it looked like the preverbal monkeys. And this is before we talk about all the tool put down on random flat surfaces.

You’re correct Dave that we could do with some better labeling/organization. I think a better set of shelves, and less stuff would help. I’ve heard talk of doing so, but Brad seems to be able to organize it without all that. I’m hoping that the rest of us could maybe aspire to be a bit closer to that ideal.

I mean I get it, I do it too, I pick up a tool, get through with the project, and then forget to return it. I honestly expect a bit of things moving around on the pegboards, be a bit messing, have the odd tool sitting out, etc, but when it’s literally the next day, it really doesn’t look like people are even trying. That’s what’s bothering me.

If people aren’t even trying to get things back where they came from, then no amount of labels and organization is going to help, because we’re going to be right back where we started with all the tools in a big jumble on the workbench.

I know Brad’s sorta kidding, but really if there aren’t any consequences from screwing up, the easiest thing is just the leave a big mess.

I can teach a theremin lesson.

Do we start by building our own?

Actually I believe Tiffany is going to start it out by demonstrating how to create matter.

John2pt0,

Building a real theremin is actually very difficult.

Here is my vintage 2007 ehow video showing you how to make an opto theremin
as part of a DIY synthesizer:

http://www.ehow.com/video_2385796_learn-light-sensors-homemade-synthesizers.html

Would anyone like to do a DIY analog synthesizer like this? I have a whole
course aimed at beginners. It's fun, and builds fundamental electronics
theory knowledge without being un-fun.

If you want to build a true theremin I can consult, but it's a bit tweaky
and consuming for a class.

Lorin

I also have an ehow course on electrocuting household foods:

http://www.ehow.com/video_4936278_electric-circuit-experiments-high-voltage.html

I know this will come up, but the high voltage wire failed and I had to tape so I use the alligator clip. In one video it catches on fire!

Lorin

those videos have made my day-after-christmas.

For me:

Please let me know with other classes you’d like to see! And provide me with feedback - have you been satisfied with the type and frequency of classes that have been scheduled the last few months?
Thanks,
Tiffany

I’ve been able to make the intro to lathe and router classes, and given my schedule, this is a good thing. I think that perhaps the wardens might need a work day, where people come and help organize for the next big show. Could be a fun thing too “Pot luck and pitch in!”

Don’t forget the cool stuff like home brewing, and combined projects like stamped and patterned tin for cabinets. Or long term projects, like machining a set of castings into a tool, (Quorn et all). Some of the process is almost a hobby in and of itself. My wife says “Ceramics and bead making!! And Fused Glass!!!”

Since Dave and I are making good progress on the vapor hood,

I can teach a photo-etching your own custom PCB class. Concept is “From Breadboard to Circuit Board 101”:

1. Build a basic fun circuit on a breadboard using CMOS and / or 555 IC’s
  2. Work with the instructor to design a circuit board (no prior skill needed)
  3. Photo-etch the circuit boards
  4. Make PERMANENT versions of your circuit on a real circuit board you made!

I like doing this class and have all of the equipment. I have a lot of fun circuits (synth noise makers, motor controllers, light shows, battery chargers, etc).

I’d like to do it the weekend of January 7th. Maybe night of 6th and day of 7th to keep sessions a little shorter (it is, ideally, a two parter, but can be done in a long format as well). Much of the time is chatting and hanging out and waiting and playing, though, so it’s not super intense or anything.

There would need to be small fee for parts, hazardous waste disposal, and a “be kind to your instructor” stipend. Probably about $40.

Any takers?

Lorin

I’ll sign up for it Lorin! I’ll pm you off list to finalize details and get the event rite set up.

I'd be down, Sounds fun.

Add me to the list for the PCB class.

I’d be interested.

• Ry

I’m down to do it. I’ll start another thread to see which designs people want to leave with…