Vote to get oscilloscope for lab

Agreed.

I will leave this thread for more discussion and create a new (hopefully shorter) thread for the vote.

I wanted to get input on the function generator.

I found some cheapo units for $50 but they are very basic.
A “nice” one seems to be around $250-$300.
Anything specific that is needed?
Two channel, 10MHz and arbitrary waveform seem to be good things.

The Rigol DG1022 seems pretty nice:
Rigol DG1022 - Channels: 2, Frequency Maximum: 20 Mhz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0089HE0U2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_B7VUybV8Z90VP

It is $300. Amazon has a slightly used one for $250.
I’ll prowl eBay a bit.

Brad

Brad,

I really really appreciate you taking this on. It’s been a big job trying to build the area, and family and work stuff has kept me from doing as much as I wanted.

BTW, the BK precision frequency counter is mine. A DSO can count frequency, as can some function generators, but might want one that is hive’s.:

The Krohn Hite filters, the substitution boxes, and the audio signal injector / tracer are mine too.

Lorin

No problem. I am learning as I go so it is a fun journey.

You can get the fever looking at stuff. Nice to write it down and take time.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?sku=108753

Available for a local pickup, if we decide to buy it.

Sweet.
We will have to wait for the vote. Don’t want to get ahead of ourselves. Also might not have to pay tax if we use Amazon. Seems like sometimes I do and others I don’t.

I also noticed that MicroCenter (web) has the Raspberry Pi Zero Wireless for $10.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/475267/Zero_Wireless_Development_Board

Might have to get one to play with.

They are already sold out of the pi zero w. Checked earlier like 20 minutes after getting the email from micocenter.

They had stock in the web store.

If it complicates things at all, the only reason I took my things from the Hive when I decided to no longer be a member was that I had no way of checking on them and ensuring they were taken care of when I lacked access to the space. I offered Leadership to lease my scope (and 3D printer) to the Hive for a penny a year as long as the Hive assumed responsibility for repair and maintenance on it. I don’t need both of the scopes I have on my bench right now - I just want assurance that they will be taken care of and a lease is a good way to establish terms of use for property.

Most of the scopes you’re talking about are way nicer than the one I had on loan, which is I believe the same one Bill has.

If you want to buy a scope for the hive to have a scope, have at it. If you’d rather have the one that was at the space come back to the space, the offer stands. I will not receive any replies to this thread so send me an email/call/txt if interested.

thanks,
-Dave B.

I appreciate Dave’s offer but I think the Hive should get it’s own gear.
Things get complicated when people loan equipment and then need them back.
If someone wants to loan an additional piece of equipment I think that’s cool (I’ve loaned the 3D pen in the fab lab) but it shouldn’t be a critical part of the operation.
If we would like to have an additional scope we can talk about it…

This of course is just my opinion.

Brad

I agree

Do we need AWG?
My thought was a used HP 3312A or similar. I don’t see much improvement in sine, square, and sweep technology these days.

Just to keep this dreadnaught of a thread going . . .

I ordered the gear from Tequipment.net today. Thanks to John Clark for turning me onto this site. We got a 6% discount and no tax. The whole setup ended up being under $900. They even threw in an software bonus for decoding digital signals, like I2C.

I will commit to having a “intro to our new oscilloscope, logic analyzer, function generator” mini class once the stuff arrives and I get it going.

Nice find, Thanks John for your haggling guru skills!

tl;dr

Had to look up “tl;dr”. :slight_smile:
did you mean to post that in the other thread with the mega posts?

Dude,

EEVblog Dave just hacked the Keysight up to 240MHz. I’d like to try that hack for my next scope at home. My analog scopes are great, but I do need something better in the digital.

Rigol you ordered is still perfect for making awesome stuff at Hive. I think I’ll bring down the vocoder I need to repair when it comes in. I haven’t been able to work on it at hive due to:

Lack of 4 channel scope and FFT. Cant wait.

Lorin

The scope has shipped, but it is standard shipping so probably next weekend. Don’t have the delivery date yet.

I’ll drop a post when it arrives.

The Rigol DS1054Z arrived today. I brought it down to the Hive and installed in in the electronics area!

I did the probe compensation on each probe and all the channels seem to work (I was able to grab the calibration signal).
I also did a quick capture of some signals from an Arduino that I was using to drive an old HD brushless DC motor and it worked great.
The screen is very sharp and the button response is very quick. I don’t think it is up to the old Tek build quality, but it also didn’t cost $10,000.
The function generator and logic analyzer are still on backorder from Tequipment.

I’m frightened at how quickly this was added to the wiki. I was going to be way out ahead and create the page before you even asked, but NOOOOoooo you had to do it all yourself. What I am going to do now that you’ve figured out how to edit your own wikipages? Obviously I’ve become superfluous and will be getting a pink slip soon.