Dust Collection Discussion - Proposing a vote for $6500 to improve dust collection. In collaboration with Doug Schmidt, Tyler Wertz. Ben Sims, and John Clark; we have been building a plan to improve the woodshop dust collection. We all feel that our plan is well enough developed to open this up for a vote.
- Improve Air Quality by improving Dust Collection
- Reduce Noise Levels in Wood Shop
- Equal or better Machine Placement for Work Flow
- Improved Tool Storage
- Plan for Expansion into the Dungeon
What this plan will do:
Purchase and Install a Laguna X|Flux: 5 Dust Collector $4500
Why Now? There is a once a year sale at Mueller Co on Laguna equipment.
Why make the vote for $6500? Because of added electrical and duct costs.
We hope to not spend it all.
Collect Dust for two to three machines at the same time.
Cut total duct length in half = less resistance
Make most ducts 6” or 8” diameter to improve flow
Get at least two to 2.5 times the suck from the Dust Collector
Current Tempest DC is nominally rated at 1350 CFM (When new)
Proposed Laguna X|Flux: 5 is nominally 3093 CFM
Eliminate the noisy shop fox DC from the saw stop
What this plan won’t do:
- Collect Dust from all machines at the same time - We still need blast gates…
- Eliminate the need for stand alone dust collectors to capture fine fugitive dust.