VOTE: expanding 2701 to 11,500 square feet now

Please see this page on the wiki for information and our argument.

https://wiki.hive13.org/view/Going_to_11500

Vote “YES” if you would like the hive to build out 11,500 square feet now.

Vote “NO” if you would like to build out 7,000 square feet now.

We will be answering questions regarding this vote at the upcoming virtual member meeting on Tuesday. Please vote sooner rather than later so that the moving committee can gauge support and begin planning on our course of action.

If you have any questions please ask them on the #2701_transition channel on Slack, or email the mailing list.

JP B

Yes

Yes

I vote yes

This proposal scared the hell out of me when I first heard it was being seriously considered due to the extra cost increase potentially cutting in to our ability to buy new tools and cool stuff when we want, as well as the increased build out effort and crunched timeline, but after taking a deep look at our finances and comparing what the two versions of build out would actual look like, I am now convinced we can afford this and it is the best thing for the community. Even assuming we spend $25,000 on buildout/moving, $500 every month on new tool votes, with two $3000 big tool purchases every year (including this year), we can afford this without ever dropping our bank balance bellow having 6 months expenses in the bank. This is a safe move and will put us in an AMAZING place once the move is done. In 3 years we should be back at our current bank balance, and assuming our growth remains what we have averaged over the last 2 years (which is conservative, since the last year has seen faster growth), in 5-6 years we could even afford to hire someone full time to maintain the place, taking some of the burden off of our volunteer base.

This is the right move, I vote yes.

Thanks,

Kevin McLeod

I vote yes

Yes

Yes!

Yes!

Yes

Yes

Possibly maybe
just kidding
yes

No from me.
Looks like we’re going to YES this vote, but, as I mentioned in the meeting on Thursday, I think the hive is appropriately sized today.

1. With the initially proposed solution (7k ft), we will be doubling the floor space of the current hive13 location.
    a. I’m afraid some of the larger items associated with the 11k ft expansion will be a small percentage gain for some individuals that will be a reoccurring cost to the community.
    b. I personally don’t have a need for larger items or tools, but I can understand the want/needs of others. Between the fablab and electronics area, I don’t see value in expanded the floor space. Therefore, I struggle to see the need for more than 2x the growth within the hive.
  2. I agree that we should not build out to 7k if we intend to upgrade to 11.5k soon (<1year), but I don’t think we’ll “need” to expand for years. The added $ (risk) is not something I think is worth it. (I acknowledge that I am super cheap and risk adverse. take my opinion with that in mind)
  3. Finally, the amount of effort required to move in general is immense. I am not able to spend extra time to build walls/panels/etc and I am concerned that this will add additional downtime to the original design. I am aware that plans have

In the end, I support the idea of the vote. We should commit to one or the other. The approach to this discussion has been easy to follow from my end, thanks :blush:

I vote yes

My vote is NO. I don’t think that we should try running before we are walking. At this point we have no idea how the covid-19 situation is going to affect our membership growth. It looks like the real reason for this
proposal at this time is because people planning the layout can’t agree on the layout! I think that people are being too pushy about what they WANT, and not about what NEEDS to be done at this time.
Just my opinion
Dave Lear

My vote is yes.

Being able to build out the wood shop in full AND away from the main space will make noise and dust more tolerable. The extra space also makes moving logistics and timelines more flexible.

However, I do have concerns. With Covid19, I wouldn’t be surprised if the economy takes a hit and membership drops. I think we are ready for that possibility and that, long term, building out at 11500 from the get go will make the space better (and will boost long term membership), but it is not without short-medium term risks.

I vote yes

No from me.

• We will already double the existing space without going to 11,500 ft.
  • Too many unknowns with the pandemic. We have no idea what that will do to membership as people lose jobs.
  • We still have the option to expand in the future and can do so if our membership grows.
  • Our costs will go up as we add tools to fill the space. I fear that we will end up getting a bunch of niche items that only a small fraction of the membership will care about or benefit from use. This is not as much of a problem if our membership grows as a result of the additions.

Thank you,
Rob

Just a curious ask, what is membership at these days? The makerspace I’m at has about 4000 sqft and over 350 members (it could easily be doubled). Just wondering at what level the membership is at and how sustainable the costs are for this level (or slightly reduced levels of membership in the case of a recession).

97 in March
5 Cornerstone
66 Full
23 Student
3 Full Warden