I’m planning a glass ornament class next month, and it’d be nice to have two torches so multiple people can work at the same time. Two torches would also make certification classes faster and more fulfilling, possibly letting people get more practice than just the single bead I have been doing.
This torch is just slightly bigger than the one we have now, but is much more efficient with oxygen use, and can be cranked up hot enough to work borosilicate glass if anyone wants to do that:
This would also require hoses and fittings to manifold both torches off the bottles and regulators already in the hive. I expect these to total ~$150
The vote is for $400 to cover the torch, hoses and fittings, and shipping.
Secretary and CNC/Machining/Glasswork Warden
Is there going to be a charge for classes that could be used to defray the cost of these upgrades?
There could be. As of yet, I have been doing certifications for free. Since we plan to post the ornament class on Meetup, it wouldn’t be hard to add a cost to it.
Either way I vote yes, but with a suggestion to ask for a donation from class attendees to cover cost of expansion.
Yep, I'll have will set it up with a few for the Meetup and figure out what a reasonable thing going forward will be.
I vote NO! I can not see spending that kind of Hive funds just for a class. It’s bad enough that we have open flame equipment in the hive. Two of them just makes things more problematic.
Just my thoughts
Dave - it would not be just for a class, it would be useable all the time. It’s also worth noting that the torch in the hive now is not mine or the hive’s it is one I am borrowing from my glass instructor back in Virginia. Getting this one would ensure we retain the capabilities even if he asks me to return his torch. We also had significant discussion about the flame safety thing when I first brought the torch in, and it was agreed that we have sufficient safety controls in place that we are good to go.
Copper - I sent you an email, let’s schedule a time to get you certified on the torch
I vote yes on this as well
I’d vote no at this time. I understand that the torch we have ins on loan, but I feel it would make more sense to wait until that equipment is requested back to purchase our own. As far as running 2 torches, I’d want to expand that work area, because as is I don’t think we’d have enough room for 2 people to safely work next to each other. And there is currently not enough room to expand that area.
It might also be my impression, but it doesn’t seem like that area gets heavy enough traffic to warrant expansion at this time. If I’m incorrect about that, then I think it would be better to push for a more comprehensive look at safely expanding the area and capabilities as a whole.
Before I can vote, I have some questions.
How much of the Glass equipment belongs to Hive13? How much belongs to Kevin M? How much belongs to another third party?
What is the status of the glass equipment? Long term loan? Short term loan? Donation? What might trigger a request for return?
What is the total cost that Hive13 would need to approve to Own the current glass equipment?
What is missing from this current setup that a real glass workspace needs? Equipment, ventilation, physical space? Could / should this fit in with welding?
Is $400 just the beginning? Or is this enough for a long time?
I am going to vote no. I’m super excited that we have and continue to expand into artistic areas and the glass working station is a really cool resource. But aside from the inconvenience of having to take turns while instructing a class or even one other individual the setup seems pretty “feature complete” to me. Our entire income comes from membership fees and we have to stretch that pretty far to cover expenses and improvements. I would rather see the funds applied to improving our capabilities into areas where we are woefully lacking or have nothing to show at all.
correction: zero no, 9 abstain, 9 yes
Sounds like funny secretary math to me.
I demand a recount!