VOTE: $600 for Glaze

There has been interest in doing a pottery glazing class/event at HIVE13. Before we do this event we need to get a glazing situation set up.

Glaze is also the sort of thing where most people will only need to use a little bit at a time but is purchased by the pint and is kind of pricey. The set up we are going for will provide an entry point and access to basic glazes so everyone can finish the pieces they make at the Hive. What this vote gets should last us a very long time.

While we do have some donated glazes they are old and have inconsistent results. They are also less user friendly because they look one color in the jar (red) and may come out a completely different color (blue). The glazes we have are also limited in they cannot be mixed and should not be layered. We also have a very limited selection of colors/finishes to choose from. The HIVE would benefit from a complete glazing set up that is intended to be user friendly and provides everything needed as a good starting place for finishing pottery at the Hive.

After discussion (in person and in Slack ) we have determined a combination of underglazes in basic colors plus a bucket of clear glaze for dipping is most appropriate for out space and the level and kind of use we are anticipating.

This vote purchases underglazes in rainbow colors, plus brown, black and white. These underglazes can be used to paint any ceramic piece made at the Hive in whatever manner the maker wants. They are true to color and can be layered and mixed. Underglazes alone are not shiny or food safe, so we need the clear glaze to finish the piece. Getting enough clear glaze to be able to dip glaze in a bucket makes this final step quick and easy with the most consistent results. This vote also includes the bucket for the dip glazing, wax to keep glaze off the bottoms of pieces and to protect the kiln shelves, pan and pan lid for the wax, dipping tongs and brushes for the underglaze.

This set up would be walk up ready and very user friendly. Paint your piece with the underglaze, wax the bottom, dip it in the clear glaze, and go.

Here is a break down of what this vote purchases:

budget $600.00
Total $510.20
Item $ per Qty. Ext. $ links
Clear Glaze, Mayco SW-004 (1 gallon) $55.00 4 $220.00 QCC
2.5 Gallon Bucket, Twist Top $17.07 1 $17.07 McMaster-Carr
Wax Resist, Mayco AC-302 $58.00 1 $58.00 QCC
1/2 Gallon Plastic Pan $11.32 1 $11.32 McMaster-Carr
1/2 Gallon Plastic Pan Lid $7.85 1 $7.85 McMaster-Carr
Underglaze, Fire Engine Red, Mayco UG-206, Pint $20.00 1 $20.00 QCC
Underglaze, Orange, Mayco UG-204, Pint $20.00 1 $20.00 QCC
Underglaze, Bright Yellow, Mayco UG-46, Pint $20.00 1 $20.00 QCC
Underglaze, Green Mist, Mayco UG-90, Pint $20.00 1 $20.00 QCC
Underglaze, Bright Blue, Mayco UG-97, Pint $20.00 1 $20.00 QCC
Underglaze, Wild Violet, Mayco UG-93, Pint $20.00 1 $20.00 QCC
Underglaze, China White, Mayco UG-51, Pint $20.00 1 $20.00 QCC
Underglaze, Jet Black, Mayco UG-50, Pint $20.00 1 $20.00 QCC
Underglaze, Chocolate, Mayco UG-31, Pint $20.00 1 $20.00 QCC
Natural Bristle Paint Brushes $3.99 2 $7.98 Natural Bristle Paintbrushes by Creatology™ | Michaels
Dipping Tongs $7.98 1 $7.98 https://www.amazon.com/QWORK-Stainless-Sculpture-Modeling-Sculpturing/dp/B09SZ8ND8S/ref=asc_df_B09SZ8ND8S/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=693312200364&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6555515395331785716&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9015698&hvtargid=pla-1652562747001&psc=1&mcid=bb165b704ebe36ceb75d92964f7f897a&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwoa2xBhACEiwA1sb1BK9k9CjTWZI3zwyIBSwffK-B_vAQIbOHzhRFUEI_D8JM2tyfSoDgCBoClU8QAvD_BwE

As you can see we are currently coming in under budget and will do our due diligence to make sure we are purchasing materials in the most cost effective manner.

This up front investment in setting up a glazing station in the ceramics area will give the HIVE13 the ability to make ceramic pieces from beginning to colorful end. Having this resource available will be beneficial in making the ceramics area complete and ready for anyone interested. Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you for your consideration!

Vote closes Tuesday, May 7

Yes yes yes please!

I also vote yes! I’ll also note that this has been thoroughly discussed on slack and in the Hot Crafts Area Committee Meetings, and we all agree this is the best option for glazing and color in our small ceramics area.

I vote yes

I vote yes!!

I vote yes…

I vote yes!

Yes from me!

vote yes

Yes vote

I vote YES

I vote yes!

I vote yes

I vote yes

YES from me

I vote yes for this purchase.

I’m crazy for glaze-y. Yes :funeral_urn::saluting_face:

Im not at the meeting to be our one abstain, so i vote yes

With 25 yesses, 1 abstain, and 0 nos, this vote passes.