VOTE - $1500 - Used Woodmaster 38″ 5HP Single Drum Sander

I posted this for consideration in the Woodworking channel, and there seemed to be interest. One of my coworkers has offered his Woodmaster 38″ 5HP Single Drum Sander to the hive for a purchase price of $1500, if we would like it. There are photos in the woodworking channel on slack, and my understanding is the machine is working, only being sold to to a family health issue. If this vote passes, I will handle the purchase and delivery, Stephen H. has volunteered to lead setup and certifications once the machine is in the space.

Thanks,

Kevin McLeod

I vote yes

Will this require any additional wiring // dust collector ducts to be run in the woodshop?

Yes vote

This would be a great addition but I’m not sure what work, if any, it will take to get operational. We will also need to run electric and dust collection. What type and grit and how much sandpaper will it require. How will it arrive at the Hive? It may be too big for a pickup truck. And finally, where will we put it?

Until we have answers my vote has to be no.

The CNC table is slated to move into its own new space with the new expansion, so in the long term there’s space available for the new sander. In the short term, it would be a tight squeeze if it would fit at all.

Materials needed, it takes standard 6" felt-backed sandpaper, the manufacturer sells them in 25 yard rolls that it states are good for 6 “wraps” of the drum. There’s various grits available, of course. At $80 a roll, that comes out to about $13 per installation, and that’s without checking for other manufacturers or local availability. We should probably ask the seller if we can obtain their stock of sandpaper along with the tool, would save some money and take it off their hands.

I considered placing extra room in this budget for the power and duct, but realistically, we probably have most of the required material on hand, and the actual final configuration is likely to be determined within the scope of the upcoming woodshop reorganization when the CNC moves out anyway. If we need additional electrical bit or duct, we can obtain it as part of that effort.

Yes vote only if certification is required, no more abusing [sanding] tools please!! I can easily see this getting messed up if people don’t have the settings right and jam pieces in

Yep, certification only, and Stephen volunteered to set up and do the initial trainings

I vote yes

I vote yes

I vote yes, this is great!

Reminder, this vote closes tonight

I vote yes.

Add my Yes Vote.

I vote yes