Update - PTDR at Louisville MMF this weekend

I’ve got the truck and will be at the Hive later this afternoon/evening to load up and head out to be racing at the Louisville Mini-Maker Faire tomorrow. Loading help at the Hive between about +/- 4:00pm to 6:00pm is not expected, but any available help will be much appreciated.

I’ve gotten several Maker updates from Brad at LVL1 with logistics info. The Faire is in a new site this year, further into downtown Louisville on Museum row. There are also street closing notices as there is a marathon run in Louisville this weekend too. I will forward this information onto this thread for the others who are planning to also make the trek to Louisville for this event this weekend.

JimD
cell: 513.300.5164

From Bray Luyster - Director of Communications for the Louisville MMF 2015

Makers,

Less than a week away! We’re working furiously to make sure everything’s ready for Saturday, and we’re really excited for our 2015 Louisville Mini-Maker Faire!

I wanted to give you all a mini-update before the faire. Unfortunately, I still don’t have a final map for you. We’ve had so much interest, it’s been a real challenge to accommodate everyone and get them where they want/need to be. As soon as I have a complete map, I’ll send it out-- Keep in mind, though, that this map is subject to change. You’ll get a map when you check in at the faire, and that is the final map. I’ve attached a draft map to give you an idea of where major tents and items will be.

Load in will be from 9am to 11am, [Our PTDR load-in starts at 6:00am JimD] and load out will be from 6pm to 8pm. No vehicles will be able to load or unload during the faire, 11am-6pm. If you need to start setting up earlier than 9am, please let me know ASAP! Once you arrive at the faire, please check-in and pick up your maker packet at the main info booth in the center of the event.

Unfortunately, we don’t have any free parking available for the faire this year. Fortunately, there’s plenty of inexpensive parking available in Downtown Louisville. Find a map of nearby parking here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zcbg9yMoH8g8.kwFfHlKzPT1w As a reminder, our event is centered on 8th and Main.

If you have any last minute changes to your needs, please let us know ASAP! We may not be able to accommodate all changes this close to the faire!

As you’re packing for the faire, keep in mind the items I mentioned in the last email (Long extension cords, plug strips, tablecloths, etc), consider bringing duct tape and a first aid kit, too. Sometimes you’ll need to patch your project together, and you want to be prepared in case you have to patch yourself together! It would also be a good idea to bring an extra water bottle or two-- The Louisville Water Company will be on site to fill these up for you.

We’re having an AFTERPARTY! The street is staying closed from 6-10pm. The tents are coming down, and the clean up crews will be sweeping through, but the food trucks are staying, and from 8-10pm, KMAC is hosting a Spleling Be: A spelling bee for adults. RSVP here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1487674434888965/ (Spleling Be is 21+ only, please!) If you’d like to keep showing off your project during the afterparty, please email me! If you have a project that would be better shown off in the dark, feel free to bring it along.

As usual, if you have any questions, please let me know! If you haven’t yet, please sign up on Eventbrite (https://www.eventbrite.com/e/louisville-mini-maker-faire-2015-3rd-annual-tickets-17106014550) and RSVP to our Facebook Event (https://www.facebook.com/events/1453343311643348/)

Brad [Forwarded by JimD]

Hey Everyone,

Another quick update for you all. I have an update map with some more details on a few items, including themed tents, bathroom, food truck, and power placement! Unfortunately, due to a large number of last-minute sign-ups, the placement within the theme tents is in flux. IN GENERAL, you’ve been placed in the themed tent that you identified when you signed up. If you’ve been in touch with us individually, you probably have a better idea of where you’re going to be placed. If you have a specific need to know exactly where we’ve placed you before the event, please email me, and be aware that everything is still subject to change.

I received a lot of questions about load-in and tear-down times after the previous email! Official load-in and load-out times are 9am-11am, and 6pm-8pm. If you need early load-in, or late load-out, please let me know so we can make arrangements! Tents and power will not be fully set-up until 9am, and will start coming down at 6pm! The street will be closed from 5am - 11:30pm, so we can make special arrangements.

Take a note of where the power drops are located (Indicated by the Duplex Outleticon), and plan your extension cords accordingly! Each Duplex Outletsymbol is a 200A panel of 20A outlets.

Here’s the updated map:
maker-faire-map-2015_2015-09-14.png

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Brad [Forwarded by JimD]

Makers,

I’ve got one more update for you all before the big event on Saturday! Looking forward to seeing you all there.

First off: During the load-in period, some routes downtown are going to be blocked off by the Kentuckiana Heart Walk. Here’s a map of the streets that will be closed during the load-in period: http://www.kintera.org/atf/cf/%7B8B80672C-496D-4C23-AFEA-C424CB8AE62B%7D/ROUTE.PDF
Here’s a text-based list of the street closures: https://louisvilleky.gov/government/public-works/services/road-and-street-closures

We have assurances from the city that the streets will be open around 10:30am, and the police will let people through as the crowd of walkers thins out. Plan ahead so you don’t get caught in traffic and street closures!

Our proximity to the 9th Street interstate exit makes it super easy to get around any possible closures, but it does require a little planning! The recommended routes in are as follows:

From I-71 (Southbound) and I-64 (Westbound):
Follow signs through downtown to I-64W (St. Louis). Take the 9th Street Exit (Exit 4).
At the end of the ramp, turn Right on Jefferson Street. In one block, turn Right on 10th Street. In one block, turn Right on Market Street. In one block, turn Left on 9th street. The left turn onto 9th street is through a large intersection-- Be careful not to get back on the interstate!

Here’s a Map of this route: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/38.3105668,-85.5907004/38.2575184,-85.7648114/@38.2565113,-85.76429,17.13z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!3m4!1m2!1d-85.7633811!2d38.2587897!3s0x886972a1a9f01d1d:0x6fbccb4c05ff2f2!1m0!3e0

If you’re not familiar with downtown, I recommend taking a look at the google streetview.

>From I-64 (Eastbound):
Take the 9th street exit (Exit 4). Keep in the far left lane of the exit ramp. Make a long U-turn onto 9th street at the end of the exit ramp (Be careful not to get back on the interstate!)

Here’s a map of this route: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/38.2711039,-85.7832156/38.2575184,-85.7648114/@38.2576155,-85.7653172,16.63z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!3m4!1m2!1d-85.7657143!2d38.2585817!3s0x886972a08f2de8ed:0xf9018e1600014ae!1m0!3e0

Local Traffic:
Navigate yourself to Broadway, headed westbound. Turn right on 9th Street. Keep in the far right lane near the interstate on-ramps (Follow signs for 9th street).

Here’s the map of this route: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/38.2463411,-85.7620483/38.2575184,-85.7648114/@38.2523222,-85.7631869,15.88z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0

Everyone:
We highly recommend that if you can carry your booth materials from the parking lot, that you do so (consider bringing a hand truck or wagon). The fewer cars on the venue, the faster we can all get loaded in :slight_smile:

If you have a significant amount to unload, once you’ve reached the corner of 9th and Main, let the volunteers or security guards at the gate know that you’re a maker. Being careful to avoid cars, vehicles, people, tents, and everything else, find an out of the way spot (Leave enough of a gap for other cars to get by!), make your way to the information booth at the center of the event, sign-in, verify your tent placement, and unload.

If you don’t have a significant amount to unload, or if you’ve already unloaded, there are a couple of parking lots we recommend:
Kentucky Science Center parking lot: This lot is at the end of 8th Street, and is the most convenient to the event. Follow 9th street to the end, turn right, and the lot will be on your left at 8th street.

8th and Main Garage- Instead of following 9th street all the way to the event, navigate yourself to Market street, and turn Left on 8th street (8th is a two-way street for this block), and turn left into the signed parking garage.

All downtown parking lots can be seen on this map: https://louisvilleky.gov/government/parking-authority-parc/parc-street-garageslots

Check-In Prodedure:
Once you arrive at the event venue, before unloading, check-in at the Information Booth in the center of the 8th and Main intersection. I’ll be there with your Maker Info Packet, and we’ll have volunteers that can help you find your spot.

Check-out Procedure:
We start to shut down at 6pm! Absolutely no cars will be allowed on the venue before 6pm. Have a plan to get everything packed up. Be economical and patient-- Lots of people are going to be trying to park on the street and load-out at the same time.

In addition to all the cool stuff you’re already bringing, we recommend you bring:

• Extension Cords (50 ft+) and power strips (If you need power)
  • Tablecloth and any Signage you might have to make your booth beautiful
  • Water bottles for your crew
  • First Aid, just in case!

Let people know you’ll be at the event! Tag us on facebook and instagram, and @-mention us on Twitter. We’re using the hashtag #MakerLou this year, but tagging/mentioning us directly is going to be the best way to get seen.

Looking forward to seeing you all on Saturday! As usual, if you have any questions, please feel free to send me an email!

Brad [Forwarded by JimD]

I will be able to make it to the hive about 4:30 to 5 to help load

I’m not sure I will be in for load-in (work), but, I’m driving down to Louisville and am staying downtown overnight; I should be able to help with the setup in the morning.

Ian

I’m in traffic on 75 South on my way down to help load up, should be there hopefully in about 2230 minutes sorry for runnin late everybody

Kevin,

Thanks go to you the gang that helped load it up. I’ve left for Louisville.

JimD

Accidentally overslept, booking it out of Cincinnati right now see you in a bit