Update on planning for Hive13 participation in the next Cincinnati Mini Maker Faire to be on October 7 & 8, 2017 at the Hamilton County Fairgrounds

Fellow Hivers:

One of the topics at last night’s meeting was interest in getting an earlier start on planning for Hive13’s participation in the next Cincinnati Mini Maker Faire (CMMF).

This is to get the word out that the official date for this year’s CMMF is October 7 & 8, 2017 at the Hamilton County Fairgrounds.

So all know, the overall CMMF organization and planning is lead by the Cincinnati Museum Center and the principal contact is Arynn McCandless, Manager of Community Events and Festivals. Hive13 has been and continues to be a welcomed major participant in the planning and implementation. Dustin and I have been the interested representatives to date and Hive members Will and Tim expressed specific interests last night. Participation and representation in the planning meetings is not exclusive or formal and more is good so any and all seriously interested folks are encouraged join in to attend to represent Hive13 at the CMMF committee meeting and build the DO-ocaracy to make this year’s CMMF bigger and better than ever.

The next CMMF Committee meeting is planned for Thursday, March 16th 11:00-12:00 at the Cincinnati Museum Center’s Geier Center**.** Per Arynn’s email, the action items for next meeting are:

· How would you describe Maker Faire to someone? Everyone come up with a great way to explain what Maker Faire is to the public.

· Kristen will look into setting up a Google Drive for CMMF 2017 to save files for the committee.

· Kristen will get in touch with Sabrina from Make to find out more info on their new design rules and use of their YouTube channel.

· Brainstorm what cool activities and interesting things you want to see at CMMF so we can start thinking of programming or figuring out who in our community can offer these activities.

· Be prepared to name drop! Let’s start giving names of people/organizations we want to include.

· Pass along new links or content that could potentially be featured on our CMMF website and social media pages.

Thanks for everything!

Arynn McCandless, Manager of Community Events and Festivals, Cincinnati Museum Center, 1301 Western Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45203, www.cincymuseum.org

What can we commit to add this year that would be even more awesome?

JimD

Bransitorm what cool activities and interesting things you want to see at CMMF so we can start thinking of programming or figuring out who in our community can offer these activities.

Okay, so… I liked the fairground venue. I think the hillside could hold a couple wires for gravity sled races, or paper airplane contests. The gravity sled races pair with cub and boy scout stuff… so, odds are there might be a pool of volunteers. Some of the really stiff card stock designs of world champion gliders are a blast, and that hillside would guarantee a pretty good flight and competition… although it does take some time for the wood glue to dry them together… a 3d printed frame might fix that :slight_smile:

The racetrack/demo derby area begs for the robotics competition of remote control vehicles… that newly forming league could get some non destructive entries… Say teams of 4 bots and capture the flag, or move/gather objects?

It is also stadium seating… and in California the wwcc does a demonstration of rc naval combat at fairs… perhaps there are clubs that do that nearby or will travel.

I’d also be cool to do a large outdoor sized chess set… My old college used to have one at the architecture dept, a game with a person per piece is neato… Maker style, that would be a bunch of people vs a computer :slight_smile:

And the small race car people? There is a track… maybe this year is too early… but a go cart league might not be a bad idea either…