Tool stands, project stands, stands, stands, and more stands lol

MIGs are whatever. They’re a way to stick shit together. We happen to have a very good (if not excellent) MIG and for that, we’re lucky. On the other hand, TIGs are for precision welding. Although the Eastwood unit hasn’t gotten BAD reviews except related to DOA stuff, it hasn’t exactly gotten glowing reviews in many cases either. After doing my research, I’m personally against the Eastwood.

I think we should invest in a high quality unit that has a solid warranty and parts availability. The hive has enough cashflow that even if an outright vote for a more expensive unit were to fail, I’m sure we could get funds matching or something along those lines. Interested parties could do a pledgie/fundme like is being done for the big laser and it would easily come together.

I don’t think a “traditional” transformer model like a Millermatic 250 or 300 would make sense for the hive. Although they typically have a lot more adjustability of waveform for welding than basic inverter models, they’re huge, heavy and inefficient compared to the newer MOSFET based inverter models. Efficiency, space/weight and price leave me still very much leaning towards a high quality inverter unit. The Millermatic 210 was my original choice and is still a strong one, although moderately expensive ($2700-3000) I need to investigate how much waveform manipulation is available on this unit. I’d want to investigate the Everlast PowerTig more. They make a 200A model as well as the 250A that Chris has and loves. Unless we’re doing tanks, 200A is probably plenty and considerably less $$$.

-D

I’m with you on if we have the cash flow to go for one we can switch up waveforms all the way. I was figuring it might get shot down die to the recent Lazer cutter order and was thinking along the lines if worse came to worse if enough people chipped in 50 bucks we could get it if the hive could not cover it. Either way I’m going to donate a full size tank down there of argon or a mix…have to see what I have extra. Also in the meantime I have an aluminum spool gun for a dc mig welder to mig aluminum. If I can make an adapter for the lines to hook up it could help until we figure something out. It’s just good to know we got some people down there who are intrested in the TIG and can get things moving good down there in metal working. Lol most people I come across with TIG and asking if they prefer a square wave mosfet type over traditional or anything about electrode tips and grinding them you get the deer in headlights. With all the tv shows anymore its brought on a whole new level of wtf especially like what orange county choppers did with people starting to be motorcycle fabricators because the jb welded a chopper emblem mirror to their stock one lol. If you can keep your eye out Dave I will as well if the hive us willing to put that extra money out