The phone is back

With a lot of help from folks like Nancy, Barry, and Alan, there is once again, a working phone at the Hive.

The phone number is (513) 293-9292 if you want to call it. You can also make outgoing calls with it too.

It’s a VOIP line that works pretty much like a regular landline phone, however IT WILL NOT MAKE CALLS TO 911.
If there is interest in 911 service, I can set it up, there is an ongoing cost of around $50 per year, give or take.

There is currently one handset mounted on the wall near the entrance to the lounge. This is just a temporary location. I will move the phone to a more permanent location once I pull some wire for it. I also have two more phones to go in, once I pull wire for them too.

They are all wall mounted speaker phones. They work without AC power, but require batteries for the caller ID display and for the speaker to work. They don’t use any wall outlets or network jacks, so there shouldn’t be a reason to unplug them.

A fun feature is that it can call the Cinci2600 conference bridge just by pressing 26# The bridge supports 4 or 5 simultaneous calls, if you want to host one. Try room 2600, it’s occupied sometimes.

There are other fun features, try various digits, followed by the # sign to see if you can find them.

Sweet!

Thank you.

Maybe a “Microsloft” rep will call us about expired license keys. :stuck_out_tongue:

You’re welcome.

Anyone have any input as to where the phones should go?

I am always willing to provide input to people on where they can stick things.

I think you’re in the wrong forum for that.

Most VOIP services use ​E911 and you set an exact address as part of the signup process.

Sounds great, lets put up a proposal then. Of all the places I can think of to call 911, the Hive is at the top of the list.

This might not even warrant a vote. I think it falls under the COO duties.
Certainly communicate it at a meeting though.
I think it is a no-brained to get the 911 option.

Brad

I second the 911 option.

I’ve see 911 service as cheap as $15, granted it’s been a year or two since I searched. I think it was a company called Anveo.

Also who is the service provider for this phone? Does it have the ability to forward voicemail to leadership? If I recall I brought this up a while back and everyone was concerned about people actually checking it.

I have to say 911 is a MUST. Given just brining up fire safety if you have a phone in a set location vs rummaging trying to figure out where you left your cell phone. Especially in a high stress environment? There are numerous other cases than just fire that it would be a huge plus such as a machine accident… it would be much much easier to use a standard phone vs cell phone if you get hurt badly, especially a hand. I can vouch personally for that :slight_smile:

I've see 911 service as cheap as $15, granted it's been a year or two
since I searched. I think it was a company called Anveo.

Also who is the service provider for this phone? Does it have the ability
to forward voicemail to leadership? If I recall I brought this up a while
back and everyone was concerned about people actually checking it.

With all things telecom, there is the quoted price, and then there is the
actual price once all the taxes and fees get added on. I'll present the
receipt for the service once I set it up.

The provider is Google Voice, which is free, hence the lack of 911
service. Voicemails have been forwarding to the leadership for a couple of
months now. I have no idea what/if the leadership does with them once they
get forwarded :slight_smile: