Hey guys, while reading about the vote for the new scope I heard a few people voicing their opinions about the security of expensive items in the hive I thought this would be good to through around a few ideas to see what everyone though and I figured I would through out my thoughts on the matter and see what people have to say and what other ideas on the matter are out there
For those just skimming the mailing list to get updated feel free to skip to the bottom of the list where there is a summary if you don’t want to read through everything.
In my opinion there should be 2 things that we do for the security of not only the scope but other expensive items that are in the electronics area and any other area that have expensive things that could easily go missing OR walk away. Before I list those though I do realize that if someone really wants to steal something they will but that is not the object of this discussion (meaning we can "WHAT IF " the hell out of this and get nowhere. So I want to first set the Objectives of this discussion:
PREVENT EXPENSIVE ITEMS FROM WALKING OFF OR GOING MISSING
HELP PREVENT EXPENSIVE ITEMS FROM BEING STOLEN IF THERE WAS TO BE A BREAK IN
place camera so that It can view the area (this doesn’t have to be live to the internet) just so that something in that area comes up missing we will be able to see who took it instead of trying to have a 24 hour session watching footage of the door playing a modified game of “WHERE’S WALDO” to see who has it under their jacket or in a box leaving the hive.
- I am not saying that there are members that would steal things but as we get larger and larger we will start having more and more people around and someone might borrow something unintentionally knowing its value and not tell anyone or if something goes missing this will prevent all of us from going into the game of “POINTING THE FINGER”. This way we can look at the area the item went missing from and say ok it was lorin (Now lets go beat … I mean talk with him about it and find out why he took it, for all we know he is fixing it or maybe updating it) sorry sometimes i just write thing i am thinking without any way of controlling myself oh yeah my deal button was broken in a fit of rage one day. anyway back to the important stuff.
- The most useful aspect of this though would be if someone was to break in and steal something.
- I don’t know what the current camera setup is or how much It would take to put up another camera to watch the electronics area but if someone know the answer to that i would like to email me about that instead of putting it on a public form that would be awesome
Take the time to secure it this doesn’t take much time but will go a long way. If something is secured it won’t just walk off or be mistaken for something that can be borrowed trust me in my time of security work this has always been the one thing that mattered most because if it is secured it will take time an effort to unsecure then take and being lazy human being we would much rather walk off with something that is just sitting there then something that is bolted down. trust me I would… want never mind continuing…
SUMMARY - if you don’t want to read my rants above
- THERE ARE 2 THINGS WE ARE TRYING TO PROTECT AGAINST
THINGS FROM WALKING OFF
SOMEONE BREAKING IN AND STEALING VALUABLE THINGS
- SETUP VIDEO CAMERA NOT LINKED TO THE INTERNET BUT RECORDING THE ELECTRONICS AREA AND OR ANY OTHER AREA WITH VALUABLE THINGS THAT COULD EASILY WALK AWAY
- ANYONE WITH INFORMATION ABOUT THE SPECIFICS OF THE CURRENT CAMERA SYSTEM PLEASE PRIVATE MESSAGE ME SO I CAN GET IN CONTACT WITH YOU AND TALK ABOUT WHAT IT WOULD TAKE TO SET THIS UP
- EMAIL ~ > email@example.com
- SECURE THE EXPENSIVE ITEMS THAT CAN EASILY UP AND WALK AWAY
EITHER IN A LOCKED AREA
SECURED TO A STATIONARY OR MUCH BIGGER BULKIER OBJECT TO MAKE IT DIFFICULT TO JUST PICK UP AND WALK AWAY
THANKS, for taking the time to read this and
for those that are coming up with new and
creative ideas to help make the Hive better place :-}