Questions about Random Things Around the Hive

Hello all, I had some quick questions concerning some things around the Hive:

In the wood working area, there is a reciprocating saw and a handheld belt sander underneath the work bench. I’m wanting to cut some pieces out of a 2X4 for a stock for the crossbow project I’m working on, and I’d like to sand it down afterwards. Can I assume that there is nothing keeping me from using these two power tools?

In the freezer, the freeze pops would taste better in my opinion without the plastic. Do we have any food-safe shearing implements in the kitchen, like scissors, that can be used to open these up and then wipe/wash off when done? Couldn’t find anything at a quick glance, and I wasn’t about to assume that using any scissors I could find for food purposes was welcome.

Would I be allowed to create a member page on the wiki, similar to how many other members have? Also, if so, could someone at the next Tuesday meeting show me how to get the initial page created? I see the DIY project page tutorial, but I’m not finding a tutorial on member pages, unless I’m just that blind.

Thanks in advance,

Tim W.

Hey Tim.

Both the orange Harbor Freight and the silver Porter Cable belt sanders are the Hive’s. Belts are on the pegboard by the back door.

The Sawzall is technically mine, but it’s available for general use. If you don’t mind ragged cuts, have at it. If you want a little more precision, one of the saws on the west wall (miter, radial arm, scroll) might be a better bet.

Do you have an account on the Wiki yet? If not, just use the sign up link at the upper right of the page.

I can’t help with food safe scissors. Just tear the end off the popsicle with your teeth and spit it into the trash like your fellow savages. We don’t stand on social grace while in the shop.

• Ry

In the wood working area, there is a reciprocating saw and a handheld belt sander underneath the work bench. I’m wanting to cut some pieces out of a 2X4 for a stock for the crossbow project I’m working on, and I’d like to sand it down afterwards. Can I assume that there is nothing keeping me from using these two power tools?

You’ll get a better cut from the band saw, particular if you use the thinner blade.