Power Series Racing Team Meetup and Design Decision

Thanks everyone for voting for the power series racing! I’m really looking forward to making something awesome!

So first things first, let me know when you are typically available during the week by marking the poll below (ignore the specific days)

http://doodle.com/u5kdqcsp3cq9iydf

Now, before we get into much else, we need to do two things:
1- select a design
2- select a motor and speed controller

For now, just post anything that you think would be cool, and if you have heard anything in particular that someone else has mentioned, go ahead and agree!

For the sake of completing a racer that has a hope of being reliable, try to think of simple, but clever, ideas that most people would recognize. Additionally it should be something you would want to ride on for 75 minutes :wink:

Things I’ve shared or have heard that have gotten positive feedback so far:

Star destroyer
Tie fighter
Mario Cart
Bullet Bill

So share your ideas and a little later this week we’ll work on paring them down, for now just post up!

Also, go ahead and read the rules, make sure what you said can be built within the size criteria and preferably a helmet can be easily incorporated into the costume.

http://www.powerracingseries.org/

Look forward to hearing the ideas and seeing you at the next meeting. This is going to be a blast! (speaking of which, bombomb mobile?)

ooh costuming?

I see no restrictions regarding the use of a transmission… So using a 21 speed bike gearing might be allowed? ( the high gears may save on battery during the enduro.

funny thing, some of these rules are very similar to the Lemons races as well as the actual SCCA racing.

Hey everyone, let’s try to meet up at 4PM at the hive (on saturday) and start working through vehicle designs!

While I don’t think we’ll decide on one this week, I’d like to go ahead and work through the process of picking a motor, speed controller, and batteries, then go ahead and get them on order so we’ll have something to actually start working with next week! If you can’t make it, don’t worry, I want this to be a posterchild project for the wiki and we’ll work on putting all of this on the wiki :).

Let me know if you can or can’t make it!

-Jim Shealy

All,
I fully support this!! But I can’t make it today as I have to cart my son from summer camp to Grannie’s.

Question: Does the $500 INCLUDE the Power Wheel (or base vehicle) or is that an extra allocation?

My other son suggests designs like:
TMNT (Teenage…Turtle)
Lego - Ninjago/Chima/Lego City/Movie

After all - according to him these things are all for HIS generation…

Hey everyone, let’s try to meet up at 4PM at the hive (on saturday) and start working through vehicle designs!

While I don’t think we’ll decide on one this week, I’d like to go ahead and work through the process of picking a motor, speed controller, and batteries, then go ahead and get them on order so we’ll have something to actually start working with next week! If you can’t make it, don’t worry, I want this to be a posterchild project for the wiki and we’ll work on putting all of this on the wiki :).

Let me know if you can or can’t make it!

-Jim Shealy

I will be there after I eat.

While I cannot be there for the production or even meetings, the fact that this is finally leaving conversation and moving to production is AWESOME!!!

I look forward to going to my next Mini-Maker Faire and seeing you guys racing around the track!

Keep up the good work, and I’ll keep tracking what’s posted here. This is going to be sweet, even if you can only show off the ‘work in progress’ at Cincinnati Mini-Maker Faire 2014.

sorry about the copy. Looking at the race details moxie/flair seems to be a 4:1 ratio vs. speed. We need to be competitive (somewhat in time) but the show is where the points are. James from what I read the cost of the 'Power wheels ect…" we need to make part of the $500 but the starts/ends as part is a not favorable loophole,

How about something Hive or Bee related?

Yes - with all of the sensitivity to the global bee population the movie “Bee Movie” seems apropos.

http://blogs.knoxnews.com/brown/archives/BEEsmall2.jpg

Keep working on ideas! We’ll pull out the good old house of quality and try to break it down a bit easier before final decision on Tuesday.

:slight_smile: