Pot luck - Hives-giving: hearty meal themed - Tuesday 11/29/16

Hey everyone,

It’s time for our next potluck! In spirit with the holidays we’ll be doing a Thanksgiving/hearty meal theme next Tuesday, November 29th. Happy Hives-giving!

In place of the usual pizza, bring your Thanksgiving leftovers, scour the grocery store for sale “after holiday” items or keep on cooking and bring something homemade!

As usual, please bring something to share or donate a couple bucks to our “feed the hive” fund, if you plan to partake.

Post here if you want to bring something, so we have a good variety of food.

Cheers,

Elly
President | Hive13

Poke Poke!

I’ll be bringing Honey Jalapeno Cornbread Bites!!

What are other people thinking they’ll bring along? :slight_smile:

I’ll be bringing Vegan Candied Yams. They’re just as good as the non-vegan version but safe for our vegan members and those who aren’t vegan but may have issues tolerating dairy.

I’ll be baking some bread. It will not be gluten-free. Gluten will feature prominently in its structure.

If you want a fun non-candied yams/sweet potatoes recipe (that is vegan, accidentally.)

volumetric ratio 2:1 sweet potatoes/yams to apples, chopped into 1/3- 1/2" cubes
1T cinnamon
1t ground nutmeg
1/2 t ground cloves
1/2 t ground cumin

mix everything in glass baking dish thoroughly. Add 1/4-1/2" apple cider to bottom. Bake 350 1-1.25hrs. optionally hand-mash with spoon afterwards.

I’m probably not going to be able to make it as my kids have music lessons tomorrow night and my wife is sick.

Enjoy all!
-D

I’ll be bringing my wife and 7 month old child. My wife will be bringing green beans with browned butter and almonds. You guys don’t want to eat my cooking. :wink:

Actually, sounds like we don’t have a main dish, so we’ll bring some ham.

If I can use the oven, I can bring in some turkey, for those of us that don’t eat swine :slight_smile:

I’ll bring some KFC.

mike wants to make bacon and brussell sprouts!

How does he do those? I’ll slow cook pepper bacon in order to render lots of fat over 20min or so. Remove meat, should be very crispy. Add 1-2 shallots fine chop to grease, cook 2-3min on medium heat. Ads Brussels cut in half, high heat 3-5 min and turn. After browned, cover and lower heat, further 5-10 min until desired texture/firmness achieve. Shred bacon meat and add some back in and toss immediately before serving.

We fried 1 lb bacon in cast iron skillet till crispy, removed and crunched up the bacon while leaving drippings in pan. 3 lb brussel sprouts were boiled ~10 min until tender. Cut up a shallot and an onion. Sauted the sprouts, shallot, and onion in bacon drippings for ~10 min. Added some crushed garlic and the bacon bits for another 5 min.

This was Tiffany’s method, + making it up as we went along.

Mike

Nice. not too far off mine. Thanks for sharing!
-D