Post your ideas for using additional space when we expand!

This was discussed at the July 25th general meeting but wanted to start a thread here for long term discussion.

The #dungeon_masters committee is asking for ideas/pitches on how best to use the new space once Hive13 expands into the dungeon area. These can be proposals for new areas/wards or reallocation of existing ones.

If you have some ideas, please answer the following questions and post here or link to a public google doc with the answers. The questions & answers will make it easier to compile and contrast multiple ideas.

Questions to consider when pitching a new area/ward in Hive13:

1. Am I an expert, or do I have considerable knowledge in this area or discipline?

2. Do I know if there are any members who are also interested in or have experience in this field? If so, roughly how many?

3. Am I confident/competent in specifying the spatial, electrical, safety, etc. needs to plan this space usage for not just build but also maintenance? If I don’t, do I know members who do, and are willing to collaborate?

4. Does the Hive already have assets for this? Are they currently available for use?

5. Would this discipline be able to share space with other activities?

6. Is it: noisy, stinky, hot, dusty? Does it require quiet concentration?

7. What skills do members need to participate in this activity? Examples: Math, CAD, or other Training.

8. What (if any) are the expected ongoing/regular maintenance costs?

I’ll start by copy/pasting this doc:

Arcade & Retro Gaming Area

Q1: Am I an expert, or do I have considerable knowledge in this area or discipline?

A: I (Adam Simonyi) will submit as resident arcade expert, but collectively there is a great wealth of shared knowledge between the group.

Q2: Do I know if there are any members who are also interested in or have experience in this field? If so, roughly how many?

A: Yes, at least four Hive13 members are active in this area.

Q3: Am I confident/competent in specifying the spatial, electrical, safety, etc. needs to plan this space usage for not just build but also maintenance? If I don’t, do I know members who do, and are willing to collaborate?

A: Yes, we are confident we can plan and specify the needs (ongoing and initial) of the space.

Q4: Does the Hive already have assets for this? Are they currently available for use?

A: Yes. There are already two functional arcade machines at the hive. The interested parties also have additional arcade machines and retro gaming equipment that they are willing to bring into the space.

Q5: Would this discipline be able to share space with other activities?

A: This discipline would potentially be able to share space with electronics or perhaps a lounge area.

Q6: Is it: noisy, stinky, hot, dusty? Does it require quiet concentration?

A:

• Stinky?: No
  • Noisy?: Yes (loud arcade machine noises)
  • Hot?: No
  • Dusty?: No
  • Quiet Concentration?: No

Q7: What skills do members need to participate in this activity? Examples: Math, CAD, or other Training.

A: No special skills are required to participate since minimum participation requires only playing arcade machines.

For those wishing to be more deeply involved, the following skills may be used to enhance participation:

• Electronics (soldering, pcb reworking, wiring & troubleshooting)
  • 3D Printing & CAD (design and building of custom arcade parts)
  • Woodworking (build and restoration of arcade cabinets)
  • Welding & Metalworking (building frames for flight/driving simulators)
  • Programming (custom software or configuration for arcade machines & peripherals)

Q8: What (if any) are the expected ongoing/regular maintenance costs?

A: There are no expected on-going/regular maintenance costs that would need to be provided by Hive13.

1 Like