polar3D status

I tried firing up the Polar3D this morning, but had an issue with the Y axis (rotation). It buzzed and vibrated but did not turn.

I suspect this could be a loose stepper wire but did not have time to investigate. I’ll be at the Hive tomorrow and can try to diagnose it…has anyone else run into this issue or have insight into the cause?

Cheers, Mike

Plate pressed to hard on the polar. Take it off and put it back on.

Thanks, will check if that’s the issue.
Mike

thought i’d give an update on the polar3d issues I encountered…other users are probably already aware of some/all of these issues.

1. Rotational axis not rotating–Will was right, the build plate was pressed on too hard. It seems much touchier than I remember it from several months ago…it has to be seated just right to avoid skipping steps.

2. Extruder missing steps/stopping entirely --I think this was mostly caused by the filament roll not rotating freely. I switched the filament hanger from the metal bar to the gigabot’s ball bearing roller, it seemed to fix the issue.

3. Not quite homing to center-- the printhead homed to about 1/8" away from center. This introduces a bit of warping in the design which may or may not be significant depending on your part. Homing stops need to be fiddled with.

Mike

Don’t confuse homing with zeroing it. When you use Home (G28) it isn’t supposed to go to the center… it’s simply finding the offset to the center. You would need to issue a Go To Zero command (G0 X0 Z0 F300) to get it to move to the center.

If that isn’t touching the very center, then it needs to be calibrated using the M206 command to update the offsets. If you don’t know what I am talking about, don’t even attempt to fix it. I will be in Tomorrow night and can do that.

Bill

I was misusing the term “homing” but I understand what you are talking about.

Perhaps I can look over your shoulder tomorrow night and gain some confidence in calibrating it in case this comes up again.

Mike

You’re always welcome to!

Unfortunately, I forgot I will be in Dayton tonight :frowning:

If someone wants to take notes that would be awesome!

Mike

Well… the Polar 3D printer nozzle was plugged with a higher temperature material than the PLA settings allowed for… which caused the PLA to jam.

I am bringing a new nozzle… but as a temporary (test) measure, I swapped one of the nozzles from my Eventorbot onto it… but it was only a .3 mm nozzle… so I adjusted the settings in Repetier for the printer.

I will restore them tonight when I put the correct nozzle back on it.

As for the new Polar 3D printer… there appears to be some conflict with the network and our cloud platform that I am digging into.

Can anyone confirm for me if port 9999 is open for outbound traffic? It appears we use it for a heart beat signal.

Bill

On the “Hive13int” network, we do no outbound traffic filtering.

Ian

On that topic…

Jim Shealy, I’ve moved your nylon to the member filament shelf outside the fablab, just to reduce the chance of this happening in future.

Thanks for the heads up ryan, that’s a good idea

The Polar 3D printer is back up and running. The new unit is still having some issues with the cloud. However, the cloud appears to be the issue and not the network.

Bill

Are we still having issues with the new Polar3d & the cloud? I could not seem to get it to connect when I made an account? Also trying to print from the ip address seemed to be a failed endeavor.

You can connect to the printer by using the Wi-Fi. When the printer is turn on, you have to connect to the polar 3D network. After you are connected you can enter into the machine by typing the IP 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 I don’t remember.

I printed one part last week but the printer skipped steps two or three times (see attached picture) and I don’t know how to solve it…

Julien

0427150919.jpg

You can connect to the printer by using the Wi-Fi. When the printer is turn on, you have to connect to the polar 3D network. After you are connected you can enter into the machine by typing the IP 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 I don’t remember.

I printed one part last week but the printer skipped steps two or three times (see attached picture) and I don’t know how to solve it…

Julien