Oxy acetylene torch

Does anyone have an oxy acetylene torch I could borrow at the hive for a week or two?

I am trying to fix warp in the cnc router table and many people recommend heating and quenching the metal to do this, but the hottest torch we have at the space is a MAPP gas torch which just doesn’t seem to have the heat necessary.

Thanks!

Jon

I could probably get you access to one but not for that long. I’ll ask tomorrow how long it could be gone for.
-D

Hmmm, if it was planned out I may one need it for one or two days. Just would need to figure out a day or two where I have a good amount of free time.

If anyone has any better ideas on how to fix weld warp I’m all ears. The heat and quench method seems to be the recommendation from welders online.

If you get a hold of one and need some help with the actual procedure I’m happy to help. I have a bit of experience with oxy-acetylene. Used oxy-propane a bit more but they’re pretty darn similar. Let me know…

Best,
Cody

I have one you can use for a week or so if you need it. It is my personal set.

Matt, that would be awesome! Do you know what day you can drop it off?

Cody, if you want to help I’m all for it. No experience with oxy acetylene so I’m sure there is some stuff to watch out for.

Thanks guys!

It can just be a little tough to get the right mix of gases. I’ll be out of town this weekend but happy to work on it with you anytime next week. Just shoot me an email when you get the torch.

Cody

i could possibly drop it off some time this weekend or early next week or if you could come get it that would be great i have been very busy lately. call me and let me know my number is
859-512-2302

It can just be a little tough to get the right mix of gases. I’ll be out of town this weekend but happy to work on it with you anytime next week. Just shoot me an email when you get the torch.

Cody

Matt, that would be awesome! Do you know what day you can drop it off?

Cody, if you want to help I’m all for it. No experience with oxy acetylene so I’m sure there is some stuff to watch out for.

Thanks guys!

Jon

I have one you can use for a week or so if you need it. It is my personal set.

Hmmm, if it was planned out I may one need it for one or two days. Just would need to figure out a day or two where I have a good amount of free time.

If anyone has any better ideas on how to fix weld warp I’m all ears. The heat and quench method seems to be the recommendation from welders online.

Jon

I could probably get you access to one but not for that long. I’ll ask tomorrow how long it could be gone for.
-D

Does anyone have an oxy acetylene torch I could borrow at the hive for a week or two?

I am trying to fix warp in the cnc router table and many people recommend heating and quenching the metal to do this, but the hottest torch we have at the space is a MAPP gas torch which just doesn’t seem to have the heat necessary.

Thanks!

Jon

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Hive13 Hackerspace” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cincihackerspace+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “Hive13 Hackerspace” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cincihackerspace+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cincihackerspa...@googlegroups.com.

Matt Cox
Warehouse Manger
matt.tufco@gmail.com
Mobile: 859-512-2302
Fax: 859-689-1401

i0HaA.png
This email may contain information which is confidential and/or privileged. The information is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, copy or distribute the contents. If you have received this email in error, please notify me by return email and delete the material from your computer. Thank you.

OxyAcetylene mixing: My impression is that a reducing flame has soot, indicated by [in extreme cases] by actual smoke, or by a yellow tip to the flame.
an oxidizing flame has a shorter brighter inner flame, than a neutral flame. For a neutral flame, which is ordinarily what you want, adjust for the longest inner flame
but keeping the flame entirely blue, because any other color means it’s reducing.

Am I right?

You should be able to google to find a good description of adjusting the oxy-acetylene flame. There are probably videos, but it might be difficult to find one with good video. I read the description in a book from the 1940s when I first did it, and I’m sure I got it right—I could see all the features of each of the three types of flame. The only thing that might screw you up is a clogged tip that doesn’t flow right. I remember it being easier to adjust with a non-cutting torch, but honestly, both types are pretty obvious once you’ve done it a few times. (And I’m saying this having forgotten it all—All I remember for neutral is a short, clean, smooth, blue inner flame, about a quarter-inch long. And to start with the gas on, light it, then add oxygen. And to turn off the oxygen first?, then the gas.)

Matthew