Organize/restock fastener area proposal

I would like to propose a vote for $400 to organize and restock the fastener (nut/bolt/washer) area.

I spent probably a 1/2 hour looking for a specific metric bolt I needed.
I will inventory the setup we have and build a reasonable inventory of fasteners (mainly metric but some imperial).

Starter sets run in the $200 range but I’ll see if we can just build on what we have.
If anyone has suggestions on where to get fasteners feel free to let me know.

Might need to get some organizer bins also.

I’ll be happy to update on the current inventory and take suggestions on what we want the Hive to keep on hand.

Sounds great!

Maybe we could combine this with the wood shop screws? Right now they’re on a very deep shelf which means it’s easy for them to get shoved behind things, and they’re not very well organized as it stands anyway.

I could work with that.
Let’s get a feel for what we have and leave the vote for $400 for fasteners.
If we find we are in need of a lot of stuff we can ask for more at a later time.
I don’t think we should have 1000 of each size but a nice selection of the most popular sizes would be very useful.
We can talk about different driver heads also. I was thinking of sticking with socket head cap screws for the machine side. I’m guessing phillips for the wood?

Maybe roll this as a multi month warden budget? After it’s set up initially, I’d hope it could be restocked and replenished through warden budget…
-D

I could work with that.
Let’s get a feel for what we have and leave the vote for $400 for fasteners.

I think that’s fair. Honestly, just moving the boxes off the deep shelves is an improvement, IMHO. And it’s not like there isn’t a great deal of overlap between various fasteners.

If we find we are in need of a lot of stuff we can ask for more at a later time.
I don’t think we should have 1000 of each size but a nice selection of the most popular sizes would be very useful.
We can talk about different driver heads also. I was thinking of sticking with socket head cap screws for the machine side. I’m guessing phillips for the wood?

Philips is good. I’m partial to torx/star drive, and we’ve got the drivers, but I think that just makes me a masochistic. :wink:

I ams super in favor! I was planning to take this on at some point.
We have a bunch of large bolts and machine screws (a whole bunch of M6 and up I think). We are completely out of smaller screws, stand-offs, nuts, etc.

Electronics projects use a lot of M2-M2.5-M4, 4-40 & 6-32. A lot. Even M1…

3D printers and a lot of extruded aluminum mini T-slot stuff uses a lot of M2 M2.5 and M3.

Otherwise I’m cool with any specs, etc.

Lorin “small parts” Parker

Lorin,

Could you give me a feel for what we would want for electrical stuff?
There are some assortment sets (especially for the small stuff).
An example of a M2 socket head assortment ($12) http://a.co/aKQlbS1

Almost too many options; socket head, flat head, stainless, etc.

I found a nice metric set of socket head cap screws from M4-M12 with a metal organizer bin for $145
https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=7556

Of course we already have some of these so I’m going to compare building it up using our existing inventory. Problem is that they give a discount for the set so it may just make more sense to get the set and then have backups.

They also have a phillips wood screw assortment including organizer for $80
https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=7491

US socket head cap screw assortment #6 to 3/8 with organizer $110:
https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=7536

I’m not married to boltdepot but they seem to have pretty good prices.

I want to get a base setup and then just feed it from the warden budget as needed.

I’ve inventoried the metric machine socket head cap screws on the shelf, if Lorin could look at the electronic area and Andrew look into the wood area that would be helpful.

I think having an organizer bin setup would be very useful (instead of random boxes that get moved around).
We could make organizers using the wood CNC. Maybe a neat member project . . . .

They also have a phillips wood screw assortment including organizer for $80
https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=7491

Sounds good. Could we also get some Carriage bolts and eyelets?

I’ve inventoried the metric machine socket head cap screws on the shelf, if Lorin could look at the electronic area and Andrew look into the wood area that would be helpful.

Will do.

I think having an organizer bin setup would be very useful (instead of random boxes that get moved around).
We could make organizers using the wood CNC. Maybe a neat member project . . . .

I think this depends. It’s really hard to beat uber mass production out of china. Is there something unique about our requirements or storage area?

So it currently appear we have almost no screws in the woodshop. We’ve got a couple of random boxes, with a few screws a piece.

Warden budget?
-D