Official Means of Communication

mhorne, I appreciate your input. That’s a wonderful idea, and part of what I was trying to get at.

I see a pattern of tasks being automatically “dumped on” and “expected to be completed” by a specific set of members. This is a community, and in the end it is the culmination of the efforts of the /members of the community/ (whether you are in leadership, in an appointed position, a general member, a member from afar, or a repeat guest) that determines what is accomplished and what progress we make. It is a healthy expectation that people contribute their time and energy in some way to help us improve. I consider that to be a founding principle of the Hive and part of the definition of a do-ocracy. By expecting certain people to just get things done by default, or by “voluntelling” people to do things, it is likely that nothing will actually get done, and if it does get accomplished, those people will be badly burned out. Sitting back from afar and directing people to do things is not what we’re about, and won’t really work in this environment.

The more people who contribute some time and energy to improving the space (physically, procedurally, educationally, emotionally, edibly (:P), functionally, etc.), the better our community will become. By expending a bit of effort, people become invested in the space, which just breads more connection and community (a chain reaction of progress).

I was trying to encourage people to get involved, and help find a solution for us through some personal effort, rather than the pattern I stated previously.

I think we should start a Reddit section. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I felt the oscilloscope discussion was just that, a discussion. I never felt slighted or offended by any of the comments. Sure some people may not want to spend the money, I totally appreciate that.
I do feel we need a “core” set of tools to get things made. Should we go buy a $5000 signal analyzer, probably not. I don’t think it got personal or rude. In fact, I think it was a good example of what the mailing list is for.

I propose we should start a rabbit hole on free speech regarding open source operating systems, or maybe the basic rights of an AI (our new super server could host one . . . )

These conversations are getting pretty heavy for a hacker/maker space. We are not making meth in the dirty room! (or are we?) I think people forget that our members are real people that you could run into at the Hive.

Thanks for you comments Elly. I appreciate that you are trying to keep things moving forward.

We are kind of like a never ending family reunion; obnoxious uncle on one end of the table, sulking teenager, overactive toddler, gassy brother, know-it-all cousin, bossy neighbor, etc.
Perhaps we could make a match game with stereotypical descriptions. We could laser etch nametags and 3D print trophies.

Lol you had to bring my dirty room and personal hobby into this… thanks brad!

Woops, cats out of the bag Kevin. Can’t be blaming the neighbor anymore :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: