Meeting tonight

I’m fighting a fun cold so I won’t be making the meeting tonight. Don’t want to get everyone else sick. :mask:

I’d like to put my yes vote in for removing the “medium” CNC and plywood.

If the Hive wants to buy the plywood and then sell it to members we can split that out of the vote.

The lathe thread cutting class went well, there were four folks attending. I couldn’t find the carbide inserts that Greg ordered, once I get them, each attendee will get one insert for their collection.

I dropped off the fastener order off and put it on the wire shelf in front of the original fastener setup. I’ll work on organizing the area. Ended up spending only $373 of the $400. Check out the “thread detective” sets that I found. You can use then to find out what thread some mystery bolt/nut is. I’ll mount the set to the shelf.

I found some cheap metal storage containers like the ones that came with the order, but much cheaper ($17).
We have talked offline about making some storage mini drawers so things should clean up one way or another.

I’ll try and come by this weekend and work on the fastener area.

Just wanted to post the final language of the proposal somewhere that isn’t the very long thread.

1. Remove the 2nd CNC machine on or before 12/31
  2. Remove all Plywood on 12/31, allowing sale, transport, and other considerations to be made before this date.
  3. Remove the rack at the same time.

If we remove the rack I propose a vote to replace or upgrade CNC storage. Too soon to give up on this space and the progress that was made since people are just now getting certified.

Not sure what the exact language of the vote is going to be. But last week there was no mention of removing the CNC storage. Only removing the medium CNC and voting on if Hive will purchase some supplies. I’d like to keep some sheets there for myself in this storage area and will give up my space in the other storage area.

OK my vote:

1. Yes
  2. Yes
  3. No. I want to have the capability to store CNC material in a proper way. If we develop a different storage technique (horizontal pallet rack, relocated rack, etc.) then I will change my vote.

Good times.

1. Yes
  2. Yes
  3. Yes. - especially if we can move the large cnc into that corner and utilize a larger portion if the space. I’m not sure how the current wood storage rack is any different than the pallet racks method of storing wood.
    Tiffany

Regarding 3:

Proposing wood storage before moving things around and assessing the needs / methods is putting a cart before a horse.

More wood storage & proper non-warpy wood storage will happen, but let’s let Andrew and the membership develop a plan after reconfiguration.

Lorin

The problem is there is no difference between Coy’s storage and temporary wood storage, or at least he hasn’t explained the difference. In both cases the material is stored vertically in a small space.

I don’t see it as “Coy’s” storage. It is Hive CNC wood storage (once Coy’s wood is removed/distributed), built with Hive funds.
I can envision that people can store sheets there for current CNC jobs. Probably with some limit on number of sheets and time stored. We can write the member name and date on the side of the wood or something like that. If the Hive chooses to purchase some sheets for later member sale then they would be stored there.
Can it be in a better place? Sure
Let’s get a plan together and work on it. For now I don’t want to remove something that works.

I don’t see it as “Coy’s” storage.

That’s effectively what it is. A large rack containing wood that is owned by Coy. I’ve seen no information that suggests it was built or planned with Hive resources, other than Coy’s claim that he got approval from the COO.

Let’s get a plan together and work on it. For now I don’t want to remove something that works.

Right now it appears to take up a large chunk of floor space, and do little else. If people want to store wood for projects then we’ve got a place for that, and a system for managing it.

I’m concerned that the rack is going to continue to sit there for another several months to a year, and take up space.

Further nobody has put forth any plans to buy any of the wood from Coy, so it’s very likely it’s going to sit there empty and take up floor space.

Finally, if we do remove the rack + 2nd CNC we now have room to put the large CNC in the corner.

I would be ok moving the CNC to the corner if you were confident there wouldn’t be any water problems. we’ve had several different issues with that corner over the years.

Fair enough.

If we commit to creating a “fancy” wood storage plan then I support getting rid of the rack to organize the area.
I also seem to remember some water drippage in that corner of the space.
Wonder if we could store sheets under the current member box rack. (Where the cardboard boxes of junk are now).
Or maybe move the rack to the other end of the long workbench?
Can we create a clamping system for the existing vertical storage area? If two or three sheets get clamped together I would imagine they could be stored vertically.

You people and your fragile wood. . .

So my vote:

1. yes
  2. yes
  3. yes

Fair enough.

If we commit to creating a “fancy” wood storage plan then I support getting rid of the rack to organize the area.

Please explain in detail what this means to you. I’m not sure how that would differ from what we’re currently doing in the temporary wood storage. There has been some suggestion that we store plywood and other sheet goods flat. Is this what you mean?

I also seem to remember some water drippage in that corner of the space.

If that’s the issue, I think we need to be clearer on exactly how much, where, and see if we can find a solution. Water drippage is a problem no matter what we put in that corner. Depending on where it is, it might be okay, since it would be in the access around the CNC. Whatever is going on probably hasn’t been doing the 2nd CNC any favors.

Wonder if we could store sheets under the current member box rack. (Where the cardboard boxes of junk are now).

I was thinking about another shelf and then more member storage, but you’re correct it’s a good place for sheet goods, and we could probably create storage by asking people to only store one slot worth of boxes on the shelf. Right now I believe we have a few members who have multiple spots, which was fine when we didn’t have people looking for space.

Or maybe move the rack to the other end of the long workbench?

We can’t put anything of any depth there or it will interfere with the storage slots nearest the wall. Right now it’s not really possible to get anything into or out of the first 4 slots. I’ve asked people to clean out the current loose wood, which will be going onto the scrap pile on Dec 31st, at which point I might put up a pipe clamp rack, or I might not. Regardless, whatever go into that space needs to be about 6-12" deep, max.

I know one member who was storing stuff their because they didn’t have a slot, now that they have a slot I’m expecting the mess to get cleaned up.

Can we create a clamping system for the existing vertical storage area? If two or three sheets get clamped together I would imagine they could be stored vertically.

That’s a good idea. I’ve been thinking about this, but I can’t think of anything that isn’t awkward. It seems essentially a couple of the spring clamps screwed into a 2x4 would work, but I’m not sure how you would get things in/out without a ladder to climb up and release the clamps. So for now I’m going to leave it to the individual members. Nothing stopping somebody from finding a decent solution, and using it in their space. If you’ve got a solution, I’m all ears.

I was just going to reply that the water issues (if there are any currently) don’t seem to be affecting the 2nd CNC which is currently in that space. So if it isn’t a concern for the medium CNC, I’m not sure why it should be a concern for the large CNC.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree on the water. I haven’t seen any leakage recently, perhaps they fixed the roof?

The “fancy” wood storage comment was about a plan to store the nicer CNC style wood that doesn’t like to be leaned vertically.
I think the best way to store that kind of wood is flat, next best is to clamp it to something else so it doesn’t warp.
If Coy’s wood leaves the Hive, we may be discussing a moot point.

simple/ghetto solution: 10x10 tarp set up to direct water to a known spot. Problem solved, under $20.
-D

10x10 tarp hung from support beams, that is…
-D

The water shows up between the medium CNC and the PC on the larger one.

Andrew I’m not sure how I can show you how the boards warp in the current storage area. It happens, store some stuff and try it you self if you can’t conceptualize it.

I’d like to keep a reasonable amount at the hive for personal use.

Slighty better solution: large metal pan under leak, directing water to a pipe or bucket.

If it’s between the two systems we might be okay with moving the large CNC, not sure if there’s a difference in length between them. Also I have not see any water in that area since I’ve been a member, maybe it is fixed.

I am not going to be at the meeting tonight, so here is my vote:

1. Yes
  2. Yes
  3. Abstain