Looking for a Book on brewing

I’m starting to take brewing seriously.
A few years ago when the hive13 had a functioning library, I borrowed a book that was all about yeast and brewing. Recommended to me as the go-to-book for brewing.

I don’t suppose anyone remembers the book title?

Joy of Homebrewing by Papsian
How to Brew by Palmer
and
Designing Great Beers by Daniels

Those are the gold standards and the order I recommend them in. If you already have a solid understanding of brewing, go straight to Daniels book.

Moshers Books are good as well, but not where I would start anyone.

Are you doing partial mash or all-grain?

Also… there is a growing group of members interested in talking about all things fermented, we even have a slack channel about it…

the yeast book was from the brewing elements series:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/yeast-chris-white/1102956183?ean=9781938469060&st=PLA&sid=BNB_NOOK+EBooks&sourceId=PLAGoNA&dpid=tdtve346c&2sid=Google_c&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjpjkBRDRARIsAKv-0O0Zp0opfp38RA5XZKvOl_R_oOoAaZBx3SJyJZzGYr0bVSe-XhxK9sYaAgH5EALw_wcB

how to brew is also available on his website for free, though i’m not sure how long it has been since it was updated. I highly recommend when you get into brewing to really work on your water. Thats one area that takes a while to understand and do well, but it makes such a huge difference in the beer quality that is produced. bru’n water is a great resource online and I think hes even local. You can get the greater cincinnati water works to send you monthly reports on your water as well, which is nice. the water book from the elements series is pretty dry but extremely comprehensive.

https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

any other questions let me know.

If it has Jamil’s name on it, you can be sure it is full of a lot of good info.

And Chris White, is Chris White of Whitelabs Yeast. Not only does he know his shit, he is amazingly fun to listen to. If you ever get a chance to attend a talk by him, make every effort to do so. Especially if he’s had a few…

Thanks, I went ahead and ordered Joy and Great beers

@Tiffany: OMG that’s the book!! Thank you!!

I do have one question. So me and Renee have been thinking about starting a few batches just to see if we can do it. She’s concerned that the process of fermentation changes greatly with scale. Is this true? I was just thinking about starting with a few mason jars, but due to the scale fear, she wants to dive in with a 5 gallon bucket off the bat.

Most people brew 5 gallon batches for convince. The time and effort of a 1 gallon batch is pretty much the same as a 15 gallon batch.

What I always recommended to people that wanted to try various experiments was to brew a standard 5 gallon batch. Then ferment in five to six 1 gallon jugs. and use a different yeast in each one. There is little fear of over pitching yeast, and much more a concern of under pitching.