lol Can someone help with an stl. please!!!

I have drawn the part up in sketchup a few times (all i have on this computer) and all I need is a tube with an od of 12.7mm id of 10mm and width of 37mm, for some reason when I am importing the stl it is adding random inner diamaters even though the par looks normal on all screens lol. I am trying to fix my knee scooter to get around so if anyone has a free second to gt this started so i can get around that would be awesome :slight_smile: Im going to try and figure out in the settings or something why it is doing it but yeah im not familar with sketch up.

Try a stl repair https://modelrepair.azurewebsites.net

Marvin

I have drawn the part up in sketchup a few times (all i have on this computer) and all I need is a tube with an od of 12.7mm id of 10mm and width of 37mm, for some reason when I am importing the stl it is adding random inner diamaters even though the par looks normal on all screens lol. I am trying to fix my knee scooter to get around so if anyone has a free second to gt this started so i can get around that would be awesome :slight_smile: Im going to try and figure out in the settings or something why it is doing it but yeah im not familar with sketch up.

it worked thank you lol should have known better

this what you mean?

scooter_tube.stl (57.7 KB)

oops sent before i saw your last message :slight_smile:

If my file does not work I would definitely give that a shot thank you very much, it’s in the process of printing right now and waiting to see if it cleaned it up

We could always make a “real” part on the lathe. :grinning:

Thanks,

Brad

I need to but I’m out of 1/2 aluminum round stock right now. The part really does need to be brass or aluminum but hips plastic will have to do till I can get some and make them, I need 2

We could look at it this weekend.
Jon got some Aluminum for the big lathe.

Thanks,

Brad

Also, if not I’m sure I can drum up some from somewhere around here. I just don’t want to end up having to turn down a good piece of a lot bigger diameter when I need something that’s final dimensions are so close to a half of an inch. I bought some wider wheels for my knee scooter. I picked up a set of front mower wheels for a Husqvarna that are pretty decent to have a wider contact patch with the ground. The large-diameter super skinny inline type Wheels get stuck in cracks and toss my ass off. Do you think those cobalt bits would keep a clean edge with the soft home Depot mild steel rod they sell. I do not know if our home Depot carries aluminum rod. I’m going to attempt making some tomorrow if possible for learn to solder and going out for father’s day

Nolte machining is down the road from my house they might have some scrap lol

The mini lathe should handle that size fine. Just need the stock.
The cobalt drill bit could certainly handle it but we don’t have true metric. 10mm is .3937", I’m sure we can get close and use the adjustable reamers I put under the mill to finalize the hole.

3D printed parts are not great for load bearing applications. You have to be careful how much pressure they get put under.

Thanks,

Brad

basically all im using this for is to sleve the bolt that goes through the ball bearings. It does not have to be super precise by any means. I just wanted to make sure you were not saving the cobalt drill fits for precision aluminum stuff. I have used the mini lather a bunch making gun barrel parts lol and that is something I would even love to find at a flea market for at home one day. I will likely try to make it down to the hive when my dad gets out of work tomorrow and can bring me down. If anyone gets to the hive prior to them I did have some 1 inch round aluminum stock from helping will fix stuff and I had about a 5 inch piece left. last time I saw it was under the old lathe but if anyone gets there early in the day tomorrow and could look for me I would appreciate it huge or I can buy some stuff on the way down.

Got it put back together using the hips plastic 3D printed sleeve, so far so good however a metal one will definitely be needed for long-term use LOL. It’s definitely going to have a off-road tire growl to it when out on a hard surface and moving quickly like a big off-road tire, people will hopefully know that is a get out of the way sound :slight_smile: the width difference is absolutely tremendous however I don’t want to go outside and test it on the concrete in the dark and with just the plastic ones in case I eat it. It might take Katie awhile to find me haha

20160617_021854.jpg

20160617_022133.jpg

Sounds like you are good to go (at least your scooter is):stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I’ll see if I can swing by the Hive and make a part.

Part is nothing but a sleeve in theory. Old wheels had a 10mm id for the bolt, the new ones are about 12.8mm id. Soooooo the sleeve outside anything between 12.7 to 12.8 will work and the Id. Whatever the closet to 10mm we have but slightly over so bolt can go through. And 37mm in length. There I’d no torsion, friction, anything with this other than just taking up space. I am just using mower wheels that already have decent ball bearings in them and turn out to be basically identical to what is already on there. The washers grip the extended inner race that sticks out on the new wheel so there will not even be a compression force on this part in regards to bolting it on. I’ll attach another pic I couldn’t sleep cause of the darn foot and after testing this morning it made a huge difference and I smacked stuff hard lol so even the thin 3D printed one held up to that. Technically mild steel, aluminum would be a forever "fix. Going to try and nap for a bit and hit up the hive when my dad gets off.

20160617_021757.jpg