Large CNC

Hey guys,

Im new here and was wondering if anyone has the time to show me some basics on the large CNC. I want to cut large letters approx. 3’x3’ from 3/4" plywood.

I’d really appreciate it, have a good day!

Tyler

Tyler,

If you have something that needs done soon I’d be more than happy to help you out. Unfortunately until all of the end stops and the VFD is attached to the electronics we aren’t certifying anyone to use it.

Coy

I would really appreciate it, I’m available this weekend if you have the time?

A few questions on the mill:
I am looking at the different endmills (i believe that is the term for the bits used) available, Can anyone give a rundown on the different shapes and what they do?
When is an estimated date for all of the end stops and the VFD is attached to the electronics? I do see it is being used be a select group, and others have been taught (to some degree at least) beyond the people who were part of the original build team.

Make magazine has a nice quick intro to endmills:

http://makezine.com/magazine/make-40/endmills/

I do think it should be a priority to transition the big mill from a beta/limited group tool to a tool anyone can use after training. In addition to the physical upgrades the training curriculum needs to be created, and this will require some time and thought. The mill does have potential to cause injury to users or itself if not used correctly. So far the few non-build-team “beta” users (including myself) already had a decent amount of experience with CNC/gcode. However getting a formal certification in place would increase both safety and fairness surrounding the big CNC.

Anyway, that’s my 2 cents…I’d be willing to help with such an effort, but I don’t have the time (or authority, or expertise) to take the lead.

Mike

I will be bring 6 hall effect end stops on this Tuesday. Jon bought some magnet to work with the sensors. I will also bring a PCB to connect the 6 end stop to the breakout board. I tried one end stop two weeks ago and everything was working fine. If someone needs more information, you can go to the shapeoko wiki , there is more info.

I can show someone how to connect the 6 sensors on the breakout board and to set it up BUT I won’t be able to do it because it requires time (I don’t have enough time left before I leave) and some cables.

I think we are getting close to a fully secured CNC.

Julien

Julien I’d be happy to do that if we can meet up and you show me.
Daniel

I will be bring 6 hall effect end stops on this Tuesday. Jon bought some magnet to work with the sensors. I will also bring a PCB to connect the 6 end stop to the breakout board. I tried one end stop two weeks ago and everything was working fine. If someone needs more information, you can go to the shapeoko wiki , there is more info.

I can show someone how to connect the 6 sensors on the breakout board and to set it up BUT I won’t be able to do it because it requires time (I don’t have enough time left before I leave) and some cables.

I think we are getting close to a fully secured CNC.

Julien

Great, I will send you an e-mail later today with some explanation. We can meet this Tuesday for the weekly meeting.

Julien

2 other cents

It might be helpful to run the intro as a simple project, say making a Hive 13 logo. This would introduce the use of the software, the materials that can be used, and the practical use of the machine. The actual manual inputting of G code might be a separate session, with a cheat sheet to make sure all the set-up code is included at the start of the text file.

I have not used our machine, but I could help with a CNC class when the machine has all its limit switches (and I get an orientation!).

John S.

OORRRRRr have them cut out a storage box…

Unfortunately, we have run out of room for storage boxes with the current set up. Which is why I haven’t held another build day. After makerfaire there will be more stable plans for getting more space and more pallets.

welll, cut out a smaller box that they can put together and take home? the hive13 logo is cool, but if everyone cuts one as a learner project, we’ll have them coming out our ears. I was thinking that it might be better if they cut something they could use…

You could also do something else like a small camping table, etc.

Nancy,

I agree 100%. I have taken a few classes at The Manufactory and one thing that I really liked is that when I took the laser class I got to design my own pint glass and when I took the CNC class I was able to create my own sign. I think it would be a great idea for both machines to have a list of available projects that someone can complete if they wish. That way after they finish they have something to bring home and show people what they did and hopefully spread the word. (My wife was actually very interested in the pint glass). Having the Hive logo is cool and should probably be an option but it doesn’t mean a lot to newbies vs something that they can personalize.

Coy

Let’s get the E-stop and auto Z on that thing and then do a class. I think this is complex enough to merit a little more organization on the training front than we have been used to. Also a lot of people have just generally been interested in CAD and CAM as a skill to develop.

I’d be happy to lead an effort in a few weeks (currently in AZ). I’ve cut my teeth a lot with using fusion360 and this machine (fusion360 is free, and easier than most cad/cam). It’s 3d simulation of CAM moves has really helped me a lot in the effort to keep my limbs (so far, simulation has been 100% accurate to actual cuts).

How about we do a fusion primer, have people play with some sample projects and then have a cutting event with experienced folks on hand?

Brad, I know you’ve done a lot of Fusion360 modeling, wanna help me get the ball rolling? I’ve figured out the CAM features pretty well and know how to edit G-code output from the fusion cam engine so it doesn’t do weird and dangerous things…

If we videotape some of this we could also start some online instructional material…

Lorin

P.S. Folks aren’t being difficult here… This really is a rather complex machine. No one is really super experienced with it yet - we’re all still figuring it out…

The E-Stop will have to be cabled like the limit switches, Lorin we will need a more of your mic cable! Bring some more as soon as your back from your trip.

Julien

The E-Stop will have to be cabled like the limit switches, Lorin we will need a more of your mic cable! Bring some more as soon as your back from your trip.

Julien

I would be happy to help.
There are some great training videos already made for Fusion 360 on the interwebs, perhaps we can"reapply" some. :grinning:

Back to work.