Homebrew Benchtop Brake Project

I mentioned I was working on this months ago before my old computer died, and I finally took the time to grab the files off my old hard drive and finish it up.

This is a small 6" width 90 degree bench top brake that can be used to bend sheet metal at 90 degrees, and bend sheet and rod in curves.

It’s based on Jimmy Diresta’s design seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ_XVFzrka8

I am planning on making two of these, one for myself and one for the Hive. Does anyone have any comments on the design or improvements you think I should make?

Thanks,

Kevin

BenchtopBrake.stp (724 KB)

Whoa what are those images of? Are you running pro/engineer on a new 286?

Sent: Monday, July 16, 2018 8:52 PM
To: Hive13 Hackerspace
Reply To: cincihackerspace@googlegroups.com
Subject: [CHP] Homebrew Benchtop Brake Project

|

• |

I mentioned I was working on this months ago before my old computer died, and I finally took the time to grab the files off my old hard drive and finish it up.

This is a small 6" width 90 degree bench top brake that can be used to bend sheet metal at 90 degrees, and bend sheet and rod in curves.

It’s based on Jimmy Diresta’s design seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ_XVFzrka8

I am planning on making two of these, one for myself and one for the Hive. Does anyone have any comments on the design or improvements you think I should make?

Thanks,

Kevin

Are the screenshots unclear? that can happen when you are grabbing pics of a model you yourself are familiar with, that’s why I attached the .stp model

I did this model in Autodesk Inventor 2018, didn’t think it was worth putting rendering effort into…

Looks very retro. I dig it!

Sent: Monday, July 16, 2018 10:17 PM
To: Hive13 Hackerspace
Reply To: cincihackerspace@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [CHP] Homebrew Benchtop Brake Project

|

• |

Are the screenshots unclear? that can happen when you are grabbing pics of a model you yourself are familiar with, that’s why I attached the .stp model

I did this model in Autodesk Inventor 2018, didn’t think it was worth putting rendering effort into…

Here are another pair of open/closed views from a little better perspective and a different visual style that has outlining.

Kevin, It can’t be a Diresta if you put this much planning into it. It seems like a trip to Garden Street to scope out raw materials is where it starts.

Then based on what you find, adjust the design, play it by ear.
His die grinder work is an alternative to a plasma cutter. I love how he measures one cut against the next on the bandsaw.
Also liked when he hammered the workpiece off the stalled drill press. Finest Kind.

That said, after the lasers and lounge are together, I’m game.

Dave, I only put as much time into planning as I did because I had to buy material specifically for this, if I had his piles of scrap, I would have just started hacking at it too, haha.

I went ahead and ordered the steel, should be delivered later today. Anyone interested in helping with the build is welcome to pop in while im working on it. I’m thinking I’ll have some good time to dedicate to the build next weekend, probably Friday evening and midday saturday (8/3-8/4).

Got a cool link from the CNC cookbook place about metal working tools.

http://cnccookbook.acemlnb.com/lt.php?s=d1c801a7829e398298269080347ff956&i=475A712A1A101385

Brad

I’ll be in tomorrow ~11:00-6:00 to work on this. If anyone feels like helping out, you are more than welcome.

-Kevin

I’ll be in again tomorrow if anyone wants to be involved in this project, same hours as last week.

Things that could be super helpful that won’t happen if I am doing this alone:

1. it would be nice to have the lever handle area contoured to be comfortable to hold, this could be a machining task on the mill or it could be a grinder freehand task.
  2. I had early on though about having the working surfaces machined from a solid bar for extra stiffness and to get more angle options, someone could work on this concept
  3. I have been switching back and forth between cutting stock and welding, if another person was around one person could cut and prep while the other welds.
  4. I’m still open to other people’s design improvements and suggestions, feel free to bring what skills you have

-Kevin

Anyone interested in meeting up Tomorrow or Monday to try and finish this up?

I will be in to do some ad hoc Warden hours Sunday from late morning through the afternoon.

I had something come up and I won't be able to make it today. If you feel like working on it, I got some brass rod for attaching the handle. It's in my box, feel free to grab it.