Help needed to CNC stuff for electronics area

Hey CNC gurus,

I am planning to make sane, usable, and attractive (I’m thinking I’ll go in for some sexy oak ply) storage for members’ electronics projects. I need help getting my plans onto the big CNC and cutting them. Simply need to cut / route plywood with some rabbets.

Anyone have some time?

Lorin

I can help you for sure. What do you have right now? A hand draft of what you want to do or already a CAD file?

Julien

I have hand drafts now. I can make up a simple 2D CAD pretty easily. What do you recommend for making a quick and easy 2.5D dxf or other file? AutoCAD, Inventor seem really bloated and slow for just making a simple thing.

Lorin

Depends on what you are familiar with! Elly uses inkscape quite frequently for this stuff. I actually cut something on the CNC yesterday from inkscape.

Random detail, but I had more success with .eps files versus a .dxf. The cam program (vectric aspire) was acting up with the dxf.

Jon

Sorry for the extra post, just realized something.

Quite a few people use vectric aspire to draw as well. It has basic rectangles, circles, text, etc.

Jon

You can use freeCAD, QCAD or libreCAD for this kind of job. CAMBAM can work with .dxf and .svg. If it is technical drawings, I think Inkscape is not the good choice but I am maybe wrong.

If you have a hand drafts and a scanner, you just can send it to me and I will convert it to the digital world!

Julien

Despite a stated preference for FreeCAD for more complex shapes, I still find SketchUp the fastest thing to use for simple design work. It works pretty well in 2 and 3 dimensions.

Thanks all,

I’ll draw something up. I seemed to have forgotten the existence of simple vector graphics programs (what the hell am I paying Adobe $30 a month for?), and Sketchup…

Once again, making something much harder than it has to be.

Lorin