HAM Radio Class - Question from Ashwin Kumar Ananthakrishnan

I’m forwarding this class to the mailing list to see if they can answer this question…

I’m not a VE (Volunteer Examiner), but I believe you are eligible unless you are “a representative of a foreign government”.

See here: http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?TITLE=47&PART=97&SECTION=5&YEAR=2000&TYPE=TEXT

That’s Title 47, Part 97, Section 97.5, paragraph (b)(1): “Except for a representative of a foreign government, any person who qualifies by examination is eligible to apply for an operator/primary station license grant.”

It’s really common for US Hams to get foreign licenses when they’re residents in other countries, for convenience.

If Ashwin is already a ham, there are certain reciprocal rights, but there has to be a reciprocal agreement in place with each specific country. Someone else is going to have to find that information.