Gigabot bed -- we need to fix this

Gigabot is almost awesome. I’d like to see it finished to full potential. I consulted with Bill, and did some research. Here’s what we need to do:

1. Get heated bed set up: we need a thermistor, preferably many (not thermocouple). Marlin will not operate with a thermocouple on the bed. We had a bag of these in fab lab, but I can’t find them now.

2. Use mesh leveling and aluminum bed (not glass). Latest versions of Marlin have mesh leveling, which allows us to print on heated aluminum and accommodates for the warp.

3. Glass and hvac tape is not a good solution. If we eventually want a glass bed, we’d need to re-do it right.

So, let’s use the full potential of what we have by getting the heated bed working.

Appendix: This is a thermistor (what we need, and need and should be in fab-lab)
: image.png

This is a thermocouple (NO, will not do it):
image.png

Lorin

Hi Lorin,
This would definitely be an improvement. Not sure about the bag of thermocouples, I think I remember seeing it in the fab lab cabinet at one point but don’t know if someone might have taken it.

To everyone: I apologize that I have not been doing anything recently as the fab lab warden. This is mostly due to grad school eating all my time during the last few months. If someone else would like to take over the position, I’d be fine with that.

Mike

image.png

image.png

I looked in there – no dice. If I don’t find em in the next day or two I’ll add some to my next electronics parts order.

L

Sent: Monday, April 17, 2017 12:57 PM
To: cincihackerspace@googlegroups.com
Reply To: cincihackerspace@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [CHP] Gigabot bed – we need to fix this

|

• |

Hi Lorin,
This would definitely be an improvement. Not sure about the bag of thermocouples, I think I remember seeing it in the fab lab cabinet at one point but don’t know if someone might have taken it.

To everyone: I apologize that I have not been doing anything recently as the fab lab warden. This is mostly due to grad school eating all my time during the last few months. If someone else would like to take over the position, I’d be fine with that.

Mike

image.png

image.png

I will bring a bag of thermistors in when I get back. I have thousands of them.

Bill

Thanks Bill.

The thermistors are in a pack on the build plate. I also removed the glass plate and just set it next to the printer.

Bill