Fire safety

I volunteered (at least that is what they told me) to work on the Hive’s fire safety.

I’d like to start this thread with some ideas, feel free to add on and make suggestions.
Of course if you do a “drive by” with just lots of work they you also may be “voluntold”. :grinning:

I’d like to dig into the existing sprinkler system that we have at the Hive. Is it working? I’m assuming the owner knows something about it. This is by far the best thing to have since it is automatic and can really help minimize the growth of a fire. Is the system we have just full of dead beetles or has it been maintained?

Next I’d like to contact the Fire House down the street. They may be open to giving a fire safety talk and maybe even a live fire extinguishing training. (fun)

We could use the Firehouse to do a walk through and give us help on how to approach things from a fire safety standpoint. Not as much an inspection but a, walk through. Most of these folks are more than happy to give advice.

I’d also like to setup annual inspections on the existing fire extinguishers. Grabbing a dead fire extinguisher when you need a live one is a bad thing. This may involve recharging/replacing some of the ones around the Hive. Most places have an annual sticker on each extinguisher.

We also talked about making the existing fire extinguishers more visible. Perhaps red/white striped tape or a FIRE EXTINGUISHER sign over each one?

Tape off the floor to indicate the fire lane that can’t be blocked by anything. (Including PTDR stuff).

The Flammable cabinet and Fire bucket is a great start. I feel safer already.

There is already a sign over the one in the dirty room, and also the one in the woodshop.

I’m down to help out with this Brad. Fire saftey is both important and can be fun. One of the best trainings i have ever had was a fire safety class at an industrial arts center. had both fire extinguisher training, and flaming performer training.

Work is often a dirty word. The sprinkler heads are all shiny-er than the 30 year old ones we’ve been removing from service on leaking dry side systems in our building (work) lately. I’d say they redid the system when they rented the building. That being said, money being money, There are likely abandoned old (not functioning) lines here and there. Which is gonna make a lot of stuff confusing. Odds are the crucial controls and gauges are within one of the locked building owner areas. It’s likely gotta be inspected and flushed anually, Odds are if the pipes do not go to sewer, they go outside… Likely at least a 2 inch outlet at full blast when draining.

The last time a place I worked at called in the fire department for a friendly looksie and talk… well, they had stuff we had to fix, or get a citation, and they were not kidding nor friendly.

On the dry chemical, they should be shaken monthly if I recall. Something about the powder turning brick like if not. Unknown history over a year? Better to recharge via a service imo.

Fire bucket wise, the key incompatibility is linseed… Given that dumping/empty nightly still goes to a big hopper outside or is sometimes skipped, might be a good idea to have one just for linseed and natural oils.

Hey, keeo in mind people pointing out work are just helping with the noodle power on the project. Gotta noodle things over.

Yeah, I think the FD came through about a year back, and forced the Hive to buy a nice fire cabinet (which was a good thing).

Good thing we keep all of our fire in a cabinet.

LOL. You joke, but it’s that pretty much what a fire place is?

Well, I didn’t hang my stockings there. Should I have?

Stupid flammable stuff. Everything should be metal.

Well, maybe not Magnesium. :flushed:

Brad

Everything has a kindling temperature I thought... even metal. I dunno though that's Tiffanies expertise.

Here’s an aluminum fire. WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW ?!?!?!?!?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEhC5dyY_Uk

The best part was the car 6 feet away that would’ve blown up had the fire gotten out of control.

Would’ve been a Darwin Award.

Now find me a 1000 acre wild metal fire :fire:
Oh wait. . . .

Yeah, 'cause metal doesn’t make itself for free. Unless you think rust is a useful thing.

How about a 100 year old coal fire?

Lol I do volunteer at the Colerain fire dept. I can gladly have some guys come down and go over stuff. Given the amount of cardboard filled with different plastics and rubber anything that seems like it is out of control WORK ON AN EXIT PLAN. The fumes and smoke although we have high ceilings could change for the worse very quickly… Given the proximity of the station around the corner if it can’t be knocked down quickly with dry Chem if there is 2 people there one puts a call in no matter what and the other takes action. It’s better to put it out and have them show up rather than it spread quickly and not mske the call till out of hand. We have a company that fills and services extinguishers in Cincinnati so even if we invested in some nice serviceable units there will be quality.

Of course if it’s a small electric fire a co2 would be optimal…or halon if we put the money out :slight_smile: We dont need to sprinkle the majic dust EVERYWHERE…Or we could just go all out with a pressure foam fill :slight_smile:

I would argue coal is a bunch of dead trees.

I went around and checked all the gauges on the fire extinguishers a little over a month ago, I do recall that there was one that was definitely no good. I don't know if Kaylee reads the mailing list but she suggested it originally so I left it in her hands. :grin:

Not so much activity on this thread for a week or so.

I’ll commit to refreshing the existing fire extinguishers. If we have a bad one, we should replace it.

I totally up to getting a walk through with a fire inspector. If Kevin could connect me with some of his peeps that would be cool.

I got a suggestion to lay some visible tape down on the floor to identify a “no crap” zone for exit access. Sounds like a great idea. I think there is some red striped tape in the shelf or holding. (We may need to get some more).

Is there a way for us to ask the owners if their sprinkler system is maintained? I don’t want to poke a Hornet’s nest so maybe someone can guide me.

I think a basic review of safety/fire procedures during a meeting would be cool. (Of course we should go over them before giving the review :grinning:)

One way I think of fire safety is to imagine I light a flare and toss it into an area. What would you do? (run away screaming is not really the answer) And then think what would happen. Is there a pile of sawdust or rags that would light off?

Anyway, not trying to be be downer uncle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owJsHhYX7aI

Two things that I think would help:

1.) Basic Fire safety classes offered to new members as part of the onboarding process. Go over things like PASS, flammable storage, etc etc etc.
2.) A local fire alarm.

Ian

If you are going to go over P.A.S.S. sounds kinda essential you cover R.A.C.E. as well.

Ha.