Fire safety

I was looking through my email and found this article on Make: about general fire safety.
Good read, and it got me thinking about our space.

http://makezine.com/2016/12/07/workspace-safety-fire-expert/

Walking around last night after the meeting I was surprised at the amount of loose wood chips and sawdust. Sure a woodworking area is going to have that, but there was fuel everywhere.
If there was a errant spark from a cutter (or burning burrito) I think the whole place would go up pretty quickly. As things get turned into smaller and smaller pieces the flammability goes up. Imagine trying to light a 2x4 then light a pile of fine sawdust.

I think getting the flammable storage cabinet was a great step in the right direction but we should go over our general fire safety plans.

Perhaps some more visible fire extinguishers and some posted signs would be a good idea. At my work, the locations of fire extinguishers are identified by a red painted column and sign you can see from anywhere.

I’ll be happy to lead this effort, I’ll have some more time after Thursday when I’m off work for almost 2 weeks.

I was looking through my email and found this article on Make: about general fire safety.
Good read, and it got me thinking about our space.

http://makezine.com/2016/12/07/workspace-safety-fire-expert/

Walking around last night after the meeting I was surprised at the amount of loose wood chips and sawdust. Sure a woodworking area is going to have that, but there was fuel everywhere.

This is a good point. One of my goals atm is better dust collection. As you pointed out it would be VERY easy for a spark to light stuff up. It’s also a VERY good reason to NOT do any thing with angle grinders (or most metal projects) in the woodshop.

I think getting the flammable storage cabinet was a great step in the right direction but we should go over our general fire safety plans.

Perhaps some more visible fire extinguishers and some posted signs would be a good idea. At my work, the locations of fire extinguishers are identified by a red painted column and sign you can see from anywhere.

A few weeks ago I made sure all the extinguishers we had were mounted. We have one on the post in the middle of the woodshop, next to the door in the metal room, in the middle of the electronics bay, on the post next to “Open Hive” switch, and a CO2 tank in the fab lab. I had sure there was a sign above the extinguisher in the metal shop, and the wood shop. Futher there an oily rag metal bucket in the wood shop. Please dispose of your finishing rags in the bucket!

I think the idea of painting pillars with fire extinguishers red is EXCELLENT!

I also think the ABC extinguisher in the kitchen is a poor plan, since it will have a BAD effect on grease fires.

Good alert!

I have read (in woodworking magazines) of fires attributed to dust accumulated in wall socket circuit boxes.

On fire extinguishers, I expect this is known, but will mention it anyway.

They should be placed so that they are readily available, yes, but also placed so that
when you go to get one, the route you take puts you in a clear zone, with an exit,
not a corner or room which could leave you surrounded.

John2pt0

Brad

I think cleaning up the wood/CNC shop is a good thought, but how do we get the dust off the ceiling structures?

John2pt0

Brad

Just another comment ('cause more entries means a more active thread, yes? ;^) )

This topic would make a good Tuesday presentation.

John2pt0.2

I’ve said it many times, but kleen sweep sweeping compound really helps control dust in a shop. Sweeping with it grabs all the bits that usually just get pushed around and end up forming dunes…

Lorin

Or maybe … gasp … we could get the dust collection system finished up so it at least is functional for the majority of the tools in the space? Last I checked, a significant number of the tools (table saw, the saws against the back wall, …) aren’t piped in fully.

If I speak heresy, tell me to be quiet.
-D

This is the best answer. I’ve got a COO approved plan for table saw and radial arm saw. (Brad if you want to help, an extra hand might be helpful) The Jointer has a box (which is far from ideal), and I’d like to make a stand for the thickness planner, and hook it up. That would leave the spindle sander, which needs a better home than it currently has, and the router, which also needs a home.

The lathe and drill press really can’t be easily “fixed” with dust collection. I’ve seen systems for both, but frankly they’re pretty poor approaches.

Once we have an improved dust collection system, there should be far less dust in the woodshop.

I’m waiting to see what happens with the removal of the 2nd CNC and plywood + rack.

BTW, this thread was on my mind as I was watching the Forster bit I was using today give off smoke…

Brad

Does our space have a “fire suppression system” (sprinklers, I guess ?) (Don’t think the leaky ceiling quailfies…)

John2pt0

I doubt it but I’ll look when I come down this weekend.
Since the building was originally at business/factory it may.
I know I saw the sprinkler mechanical alarm by the drum sander but I wonder if the system is offline.
The old systems were interesting, when the sprinklers activated, the water flow turned a wheel which turned a shaft which rang a bell on the outside of the building.

A steam punk fire alarm!

(or a fire punk steam alarm?)

yes it does. i know the downstairs have had their fire alarm go off and it brought uc fire

Brad,

How about some glow-tape to label center fire lane. We use it all the time at UC. It would help when turning lights on and off too.

Lorin

Sounds cool.