Electronics Lab Proposal and Vote

Nice. Look forward to it. Pace is a best of both worlds solution.

The “no temp control” issue isn’t as much of an issue as one would think. Metal and some other irons work on the principle that you’re heating the joint, not the tip. So the iron is a constant temp that adjusts quickly when the temp is brought down by contacting the cold joint. So, the power is variable, more like having a PID in your iron. It reacts to the thermal resistance of the joint, changing the power of the iron (fast). It’s a bit different, but I like the advantages.

Not married to the metcal. It is my first thought due to industrial durability and complete inability to fry tips.

I may agree, upon trying your pace. I haven’t used one in a while.

Lorin

Oh, and after you get that pace, you’ll never want to use another $80-$100 station again…

My ‘other’ combo solder/desolder/hotair station (Xytronic LF-853) was ~$600 new. I’m very curious to see how the Pace compares. Pace didn’t seem to have an exact equivalent but the solder/desolder combo station was in the $1200 range. Outside impulse buy. :slight_smile:

I do enough soldering I should notice the difference, if there is much of one.
See you next week when I’m back!

-D

Okay, thinking Thermaltronics 9000 now. Metcal lead engineers broke off (when OKI bought metcal) and founded this brand when patents expired. It is identical, if not better for our needs than Metcal mx500. It would also function as a de-soldering station with an additional hand-piece that uses shop air. I’m finding them for the same price as my previous favorite (and new, with 5 year warranty).

Tips are $15. BTW, you can always get thermaltronics tips and throw them in a metcal. There are even off-brand tips now too.

I’m still thinking metcal because of sheer durability. I know you’ll treat your PACE well, but curie-point method prevents overshoot and, thus overheating. If someone tries to solder a penny or 8 gauge wire, it’ll throw more power into it, melt the joint, but immediately back off automatically and then go to sleep-mode.

MX500’s used in factories every day 24/7 are still 100% serviceable 10+ years later. Hard to break em.

Lorin

The #1 reason I didn’t go that route was simple:

-Desolder braid
-63/37 Kester Noclean 1/16
-60/40 old school
-0402 SMD heavy pre-flux with Kester H2O clean 1/32

I just described 4 unique temperature requirements. To do so properly with the Metcal-style units, I just described 4 unique tips. Do you think the Hive general population can handle selecting an appropriate tip for the temp range they need? I feel like this is a bigger burden than turning the dial to 850 / 680 / 640 / 600 F.
-D

Dave, I’m going to concede that you probably won this argument in the email about the pace station. Bring yours down and I’ll try it out. It seems like a more economical spin on a JBC iron, which is great.

I’ll bring it to Makerfaire tomorrow along with my modded fume extractor…
-D