Dinner Tuesday: Yakisoba

Hello Everyone,

Last week I volunteered to help make Tuesday dinner but there are a
few things that still need to be worked out.

The dish is called Yakisoba, Japanese fried noodle dish, is fairly
easy to make and can be made with or without meat.

Since most of the cooking involves stir frying it is fairly easy.
Little help will be needed besides cutting the vegetables. Ree had
offered last week to do the cutting. Is this still the case?

As far a reimbursement for the food purchases, How does that work?
Will I be able to purchase the food in advance then be reimbursed?

I can provide personally the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sake, and
sesame seed oil.
Is there still vegetable oil left at Hive?

Do people want chicken or pork with the dish? I've never added tofu to
this dish before but that should can fine also.

How many people should I plan to serve?

See you all on Tuesday.

-Karmabomb

Here are the ingredients for 1 to 2 servings:

2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1 1/2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp sake
1 1/2 tbsp whishishire sauce
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp sesame seed oil

1 1/2 clove garlic chopped
1 onion sliced
1 jalapeno pepper
1 green pepper
1 inch piece ginger chopped
1/2 carrot sliced
1/2 cabbage

1 package of ramen noodles

I remember there still being vegetable oil at the Hive and I am still
available for cooking and prep. I can bring tofu to fry and add for me
but as for the other questions, I cannot answer..

Reimbursement for food is A-Ok. That’s not a problem.

I have you covered on everything spicy that you need, i.e. chilli powder, chillis, etc. You don’t need to buy these.

Did anyone (C Davis?) refill the propane tank for the wok burner or does this still need to happen?

Plan on feeding 15. I aimed for 18 and we had a few leftovers.

-Dave B.

The tank was actually still over half full from the feel of it, Chris Davis thinks that perhaps the regulator is going bad.

It was my intention to take the tank to get refilled over the weekend, but I forgot to take it with me when I was there.

Therefore I’ll go get it refilled tonight.

~Dave

@Dave - I don’t know if the gas refilling place can also test the regulator somehow, but if they can I would suggest having them check it out and possibly buy a new one.

Does the tank have a standard QCC connection like a BBQ grill? If so, find a Blue Rhino place (gas station, HW Store, …) and just swap it out instead of getting it filled. You’ll get a ‘new’ regulator.

Great. Then we are still on for meeting at 5:30 for prepping and
cooking.

Are we talking the regulator in the tank or the reddish regulator that’s part of the burner connection?

Paul and I both thought the tank didn’t feel empty - but that is hard to judge. Only good method appears to be with a scale - the tare weight (empty) of the tank is stamped on the safety collar. 100% full is 20# of LP, tanks are generally filled to 85%.

I just looked at the 2 tanks I have here, they have TW of 16.6# and 18# - both weighed 25# on a scale. So that’s 42% and 35% full. I can bring one along tomorrow if it is useful.

FWIW, I vaguely remember long ago being told that low flow on my grill with a tank that was still 1/3 - 1/2 full was probably a problem with the regulator - I don’t know what the resolution was. If its possible to pick up a new regulator with the refil, that would probably make sense.

I missed the message on how Tuesday dinner protocol works. I’d like to come (with daughter), what should I bring and plan for?

I tried to get the tank filled tonight and failed. Long story. The tank still feels full though. If it is not working tomorrow, I now know where to go to get a new one.

~Dave

The protocol is pretty laid back. If there are requests for people to bring stuff, you can volunteer / speak up if you’d like to - you get reimbursed for anything you bring in. Food prep starts around 5:30 so if you are bringing ingredients come then.

Food is generally ready around 6:30 - 7, and a donation to the food fund is suggested. $3 - $5 per person appears to be the going rate.

I may actually not be able to be there for prep. My primary methods of
transportation would get me soaked in this weather and who knows what
else. Hopefully it clears and I can get over, but it may not be in
time. Just thought I'd give you a heads up in case I'm not there and
you're wondering why...

Sorry!