Delta group build

I’d like to start the build of at least one Delta printer from the parts we have.
Does anyone know where the stuff is?
Are the instructions?
Things we need to create/buy?

Let’s keep this thread focused on building the printers and not break down into various thoughts about printer philosophy. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ll be able to be at the Hive a bit while I’m off work over the next two weeks.

Good times,

Brad

I’d like to start the build of at least one Delta printer from the parts we have.
Does anyone know where the stuff is?

2-3 boxes in the fab lab. Top shelf. Labeled.

Are the instructions?

No. When this project was active (2014-2015), it was being designed custom. Essentially a Rostock variation, but folks wanted to try carbon fiber linear rails – which are there.

I think it would be worth advancing the design forward, as a lot of good ideas have happened since 2014.

As I’ve mentioned before, I’m involved in a delta design with MTU. It’s parametric and designed to be accessible for newcomers. The instructions are here http://www.appropedia.org/Athena_Build_Overview. That’s an older generation than mine, but the instructions are same. Everything is parametric and GNU, and I’m happy to scale design pieces to what we already have. I also have variations for dual extrusion, an improved feeder, etc.

I must say, dissolvable supports are awesome, and I really do like the dual extruder for PVA (which is also very user friendly and gets a bad rap simply from folks who are too impatient to dry filament and print slow when needed).

The overall design is stout, affordable, and really well thought out for the basics, like end pieces, rod-ends, low parts counts, etc. So, we could easily switch the rails to carbon, resize things, switch from magnets to traxxass, etc. It’s all just a couple buttons in SCAD files – everything is changeable. But, I’m not trying to push this design, folks can take it or leave it.

Things we need to create/buy?

Not necessarily. Part of the fun of a reprap can be putting it together with readily available stuff – there’s also plenty of scrap metal nearby. But there’s plenty of room for over-engineering too. If we do need some specific supplies I have good suppliers I’ve found on ali-express, which can save a lot of $$.

Only suggestion I would have initially, after doing a delta and then rebuilding it much better is: make a jig / fixture plate for top and bottom with careful layout of angles and tower positions. Everyone puts a lot of scrutiny into precise arms, bearings, etc. My conclusion was that it was easy to make new arms / rods and retro-fit, but much hard to fix tower that is out of line.

Anyway, I taught a whole class this stuff, so I have lots of docs, files, and lesson plans to pass on.

I will join y’all on this, and can also bring the current working model in to show. However, I am not cleared for “normal activity” by my physician till Jan 10th or so.

Let’s keep this thread focused on building the printers and not break down into various thoughts about printer philosophy. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

How about the philosophy: anything goes / experimentation encouraged. We all work best when we think outside the box and try new things. The worst thing that happened to me was that some of my ideas didn’t work well or at all on the last delta I made, so I simply redesigned and rebuilt those parts. Perfection comes later, after practice…

Still, discovering that your whole base is just askew enough to cause issues because of rushing and not making a template is a real pisser. Learn from my mistake.

Good times,

Brad

Brad,
happy to help and can follow instructions, but not going to plan to spearhead and make the big decisions. happy to build though :slight_smile: lmk what day and what time and ill be there

I would love to be a part of it to learn and hopefully find a kit myself! We had to stop bidding on the i3 kit as the pickup had to be on friday and i have to get a chest xray, ct scan, and blood work :confused: . I got a unofficial its pneumonia instead of bronchitus that has been on and off since staying in the hospital from the pulmonary embolism and dvts. If there is a certain direction the deltas are going and we have a build list or kit that can be purchased. With all of my surgery stuff and the next one being around the corner we are tight on money. However at the same time getting a 3d printer going for my nephew would help him out a ton!

It’s awesome to have a social build party at the
hive and it would be really cool to mount a high resolution video camera to take video and time lapse over the course of the builds to put it on the website. I think as a whole a lot of talented people at the hive are extremly humble however we need to show off a little bit for the site :slight_smile: We have a hell of a community and being our next group project being documented from the making of food and coffee to the making of parts, it would give people intrested in the hive a really cool view of the hive. It would also be great for grants :slight_smile: sorry for the tangent, I am not here to hijack i swear lol.

Brad,

I second the emotion - I’d like to help complete that project. I put quite a bit of effort into it the first time around. Jim worked with the solid modeling, Bill donated a few parts. Dusty (and others) helped trying to get them printed.

We have a SolidWorks model for the corner supports for a “hex” shaped delta. We were trying to print them using ABS on the GigaBot but then it “had problems” - and then, well, I “had problems” and it didn’t get finished at the end of 2015.

If I remember correctly, we have enough for 1 complete set - I took notes on what was needed and left it in the box with the parts.

Motors was the big challenge but I understand a few of them have shown up as well - so maybe we can complete one.

I’ll be at the Hive after 3:30 today and will revive the status.

James