CNC surface probe - Coy

Coy

Do you know how to get Mach3 to use the input from a “surface probe”?

The Mach3 manual says there is a line dedicated to such a device, and I have seen descriptions which seem to indicate a simple on/off (momentary) switch is sufficient.

I don’t know how to go from a switch mounted on the gantry (with the probe sitting at the level of the collet nut or so), to getting the Z height data into the machine
for use in defining the profile thus detected.

Any help would be appreciated.

Here’s a reference I found: http://www.scorchworks.com/Gcoderipper/gcoderipper.html

John2pt0

If you use the mach3 profile that everyone else has been using (I believe the profile is Coy1) there is a button just below the center of the program that says “Auto Tool Zero”.

If you have the probe under the bit and hooked up correctly (yellow plug in place and clip on the endmill) you press that button. It will slowly lower the cutter until it makes contact and then zero the z axis.

You say that you have the probe at the height of the collet nut. I’m not sure how you have it set up, but you should have an endmill in the collet, the probe clip attached to the endmill, and then the probe beneath the endmill.

Jon

Jon

Ahh, apologies for the misunderstanding. That is something entirely more complex that I don’t know how to do! Sounds pretty useful though. If you do figure out how to do that please let us know how to do it on here.

Thanks for the response. I’m looking!

John,

I’ve also been very interested in this and if you have a probe I’d be more than happy to get it working. It’s good to know that others are also interested in this. From my previous research it looked like there are all types of probes with different sizes and costs.

Have you ever thought about using a 4th Axis? That’s also been on my wish list for down the road after we get all of the current issues (wiring, auto-squaring, end stops, homing, rack & pinion on Y axis) and training worked out on the machine. Any chance you have a digital version of any training manuals that I could use?

I also want to thank you for mentioning the latest features in Vectric V-Carve Pro to me recently. Being able to import and cut 3D objects is huge, these new features basically wipe out any need for ever needing Aspire. I believe the only thing that Aspire does that we can’t do now with V-Carve is allow you to work with multiple 3D models at once, do 3D modeling & sculpting, and Lithophanes. Even though I love the idea of having an easy to use all in one software I believe if people really wanted to do 3D they can use one of the many different modeling programs available and import their objects. As far as Lithophanes maybe down the road if there is enough interest we could purchase Photo-VCarve since it’s not too expensive and it givea us a few more options.

Coy

Coy,

Thanks for the feedback. This software uses a momentary switch as a probe: http://www.scorchworks.com/Gcoderipper/gcoderipper.html

A fourth axis would be cool, but I assume it would involve another stepper motor to rotate the lathe axis.

John

Coy,

I will look through what I have on CNC use training.
I’m a print (so 15th century, I know) kinda guy, but I like the video concept, too.
Are we talking “how to use Mach3 when running the router”,
or “how to make a model in VCarve and export it to the router” or … etc.?

Glad the 3d info helped!

John

P.S. I think VCarve will do lithophanes on a flat surface, using the 3D modeling features.

I just wanted it digitally so I could easily make changes to what you may have vs redoing it from scratch, I also like having printed materials. Our training will cover both Vectric and Mach software.

The lithophane info came from the Vectric comparison chart here http://www.vectric.com/products/compare.html I’ve never done one but maybe someday.

Coy

Coy,

I will try to get something on here by the end of the week.

John

Coy:

a proposed hardware checklist:

John

Hive13 CNC Checklist
CAD: Set the X,Y Datum in the software. Mark it on your material.
Set the Z zero to the top or bottom face in the software. Mark it on your material
(Verify that Use Offset is unchecked.)

CAM: In Material Setup: Verify material thickness
Verify that Rapid Z clears your board and any obstacles (screws, clamps, etc.).
Verify each path depth v. material thickness. Check if it is to cut all the way through.
Verify bit. Check Feeds & Speeds settings. Be sure deep paths have ramps.
Know where to put hold-downs. Keep them out of the tool paths, accounting for the bit diameter!

Save to Network \fastor NetShare John2pt0

To ensure a cut through your material when indicated, Auto Tool Zero zeros Z zero to 0.02” into
spoil board. Any tool path that cuts to the bottom of the material will cut 0.02” into the spoil board,
without warning you in VCarve.

For 3D dowels, secure an extra spoil board to the machine spoil board, then drill into the extra board.
Secure your blank to the extra spoil board.

CNC: Check for and remove old hold-down nails or screws.
Turn system on (white wall switch). Launch Mach3: Mach3Loader/Coy1
Move the gantry almost to the absolute Y Zero. Disconnect motors’ power. Slide gantry to the
physical Y stops to square the unit. Reconnect power.

Reset (button on screen): locked (flashing red/green).
Set your blank square to X and Y axes. Secure your blank to the spoil board.
Install the first bit.
Click Reset. Move the bit to the X,Y Datum corner of blank. Zero X. Zero Y.

Run Your Project
I. Click Reset to lock. Make sure the proper bit is loaded in the spindle.
II. Click Reset to unlock. Zero Z axis after each bit install.
Plug in the Auto Tool Zero plate & attach clip to bit. Click Auto Tool Zero. When the gantry stops moving, remove the plate.
(Click Reset if gantry starts to move on X or Y axis while zeroing Z, then try again.)
III. Load the next GCode file from \fastor.
Check G-code for bit, tool path and maximum Z cut. Scroll back to first line of code.
IIII. Check where path starts & where it goes via the backplot panel.
V. In Mach3: Set Speed; Start spindle; Cycle Start. (listen for loose nuts)

Keep the cursor over the Reset button!

Pull all nails or screws from the spoil board when you are done.

If you E-stop the router ask for assistance.

John,

I guess I wasn’t very clear and thought you knew what I meant earlier about training material. I’d like an electronic copy of the pamphlet you gave out at the other place you have given classes. If you don’t have it it’s no big deal. I’m sorry you had to go through doing all of the below.

Coy

Coy,

Unfortunately, I do not have an electronic version. I can ask, but I don’t think they want to hand out their files!

John

Coy:

Sorry, no go on the electronic manual. We could cobble one together, if you’re interested in that route.

A few screen shots, a little text, pretty soon you’re talking a real manual!

John