CNC plastic nailgun

Bradman & Coy

The CNC nailgun works as advertised.
I used the maximum length nails and they held and broke with a side blow afterward!

This should make a lot of the CNC work easier, and safer for everyone’s mills!

John2pt0

Great!

Having the regulator helped a lot.

Thanks for that, too!

Worked fine without the regulator when I build the chute for the chips from the jointer.

I think you’d just not very good at using wood working tools. It’s okay to admit it in public, we all know why you make your nasty comments about wood working. :wink:

Without the regulator you were probably shooting nails out the other side of the wood. :slight_smile:

Not really, and it was 3/4" pine strips and a 1/4" of plywood, so it wasn’t super thick either. Maybe the regulator makes sense when doing something else?

You always want to add an regulator on your output lines as most tools work on completely different psi and cfm. If you were not turning down the main regulator at minimum on the tank you could destroy the seals, rings, and or have it crack/ grenade.

Each tool will be be listed with a recommended psi and max psi per application. Warranty repair will be out the window with an over charged tool and given the few tools we have at the hive, a regulator with psi reading is crucial for those who do not know operating ranges. I used to use a paint pen/ nail polish when I found sweet spots for certain tasks.

Now if you have a hardcore framing gun from hell or an top of the line Ingersoll / snap on/ mac tools impact that our lines can’t max out your good to go lol.

Maybe we could throw together a Tuesday talk on this brad as I have seen guys shatter air chisel cases, split cheapo impact guns into flying pieces, and over rpm a die grinder where the bearing explode and sieze… could go in with our safety talk.

I might even have a Campbell impact here I got lucky and just broke the hammer lugs on, I’ll try to find it and bring it in. It was my own dumb mistake as it was the only gun I had and lend out lol and to try and get some axle nuts out = failure lol. It didn’t even hurt the harbor freight impact socket lol.

Good to know, makes sense that it would have problems. According to Raptor the nailgun is rated between 70-105 psi. The compressor puts out 175. Could be when I was using it it wasn’t on, and the pressure had dropped some.

I’ll put a label on the gun with the correct range when I’m down there today.

Good idea. I’ve also created a wiki page with the spec sheet info. Unfortunately it’s also not showing up in the Tools page, along with the Drill Doctor. I’ve sent Ian a note asking for help. I must be missing a step.

It would probably be a good idea to put a regulator right by the CNC. The best way to prevent damage to the gun is to make using it as simple as possible. Relying on members to go into the dirty room before every use seems more like a gamble.

Right now the mini regulator is attached to the gun using quick disconnects.
I could mount it on the gun directly and have the one quick disconnect for the hose.
Just need a small threaded connector.

Probably going to be stopping by the Home Depot before I come down sometime today. What’s the fitting? I can pick on up.

Mounting a mini reg to the tool is the best bet in a shared space. Also, put CLEARLY VISIBLE markings on the regulator.

With something like a nail gun that "oh, I only need to fire two nails" people are less likely to change the pressure setting. Then someone else will come along and see someone else doing it this way... Now 2 full clips have been run through it because someone that didn't know, watched someone that knew better.

Mounting a mini reg to the tool is the best bet in a shared space. Also, put CLEARLY VISIBLE markings on the regulator.

With something like a nail gun that "oh, I only need to fire two nails" people are less likely to change the pressure setting. Then someone else will come along and see someone else doing it this way... Now 2 full clips have been run through it because someone that didn't know, watched someone that knew better.

1/8" NPT nipple. Threaded on both ends.
Short, maybe 1 or 2 inches long.

Iron is OK but brass is cooler. (Doesn’t get rusty)

Yes I thought about locking the regulator down on 90 psi but I could picture someone needing to adjust it down for super soft stuff.

It appears that the reason I wasn’t having a problem with the nail gun is the regulator on the air tank is set to ~75 psi. Not sure why would need to set it above 100 psi anyway, but it seems like having a regulator on the nail gun is a good idea for dialing in the exact depth you want the nails to go to.

The main would have to be set above 75 for use with impacts, hammers/chissels, vaccum downs,media blasting equipment, and super duper turbo charged blow gun action lol. Then again with the fithings we use I might grab a handfull of online pressure gauges for airlines at the hive. Not full regulator assemblies but just psi gauges. It’s crazy as soon as air flows start what happens with the psi / cfm curve. Some of the smaller I’d hoses and longer I’d hoses can play a bit of a roll.

Luckily we have true hardliners to the hookups and a HUGE thank you to those that put that effort in. They run pressure way better than a hole bunch of lines off of a manifold. If we started using pneumatic nibblers or shears we might even want to add an inline accumulator/buffer tank to sooth out psi along with cfm for a certain period which can be amazing when dialing something to get the max workload or max performance.

We should likely hold a small air tool maintainance class. Depending on my my knee surgery datell I might be off my feet for s bit soon and it would be hard to do the welding class with a large group, but rather just work with people one on one so I can rest my leg. I could easily sit down and do a class on cleaning and fixing air tools and even compressors while off my feet. Plus I have the parameters figured out for the tig welders for us and the vote to allocate the money, then work on the bargaining when we have cash in hand…especially if we can get a demo unit with brand new warranty.

Sorry for the tangent lol I’ll have the pricing proposal together this week… however, would anyone be interested in an air tools class or have a broken air tool or impact gun they was to freshen up and power up :slight_smile: That would be a fun day likely no cost class for the start and then it just costs whatever seals/gaskets/parts you need to order and we give it POWER muwhahhaa ha ha ha. (Mad scientist lol) sorry I like adding more power to things lol. Give me a shout or email me if your interested and I’ll get something going.