[CHP] Re: Remaining Laser Questions

I don’t think we will have a lack of takers at $.50/min and to me the numbers make more sense. This is a great breakdown, Paul.

Jason

I agree with the $.50/hour price point. Thats a cheap price for laser cutting, and we may even generate some income.

Also agree to fiddy cent

Also agree at fifty cents.

Jon

How many linear feet can the 60W cut in a minute?
How are we going to keep track of the lasers usage?
Will it have to be connected to a computer? is that cost included in the above numbers?

Ben

The linear feet that a 60W laser can cut per minute is variable. The max is 60" (5ft) per minute, but that’s for very thin materials such as paper. You can cut 3/4" acrylic or wood at either 12" or 20" per minute, can’t remember. Another big variable is the complexity of the pattern (the number of turns that must be done). Most of this info should be available in the linked spreadsheets, so just go look at that.

Jon

50c works for me. You can expect my LLC to be willing to pre-pay for
$300 to $1000 of time, as needed to help get the machine in the door.
-Dave B.

• How are we going to keep track of the lasers usage?
  • We will probably use a Tweet-A-Watt hooked up to a computer w/ a simply python script to start off. Glenn from the Dallas Hackerspace reports that when the laser is on, but idle it uses ~40W, when cutting it uses 286W. The price is included with the previous total.- Will it have to be connected to a computer? is that cost included in the above numbers?
  • We have plenty of computers at the hackerspace that could be made working with a little effort, so the cost for a computer does not need to get factored in.