[CHP] Ham Radio exams...there are many each month...

At tonight’s meeting, someone mentioned there was a local, monthly Ham Radio Exam opportunity.

There are actually many:

EXAM SESSION

02/04/2012 | Cincinnati OH 45216-1427

Sponsor: Cincinnati Repeater Assoc Inc
Location: Hartwell Presbyterian Church (Just west of I-75 at the Galbraith Road Exit (where Ronald Reagan Cross County crosses I-75. West a few blocks then South on Woodbine.)
Time: 8:30 AM (Walk-ins allowed)
Learn More

EXAM SESSION

02/04/2012 | Cincinnati OH 45216-1427

Sponsor: Cincinnati Repeater Assoc Inc
Location: Hartwell Presbyterian Church (Just west of I-75 at the Galbraith Road Exit (where Ronald Reagan Cross County crosses I-75. West a few blocks then South on Woodbine.)
Time: 8:30 AM (Walk-ins allowed)
Learn More

EXAM SESSION

02/09/2012 | Milford OH 45150-1427

Sponsor: Milford ARC
Location: Faith Church, 5910 Price Road, Milford, OH (I-275 Exit 57, where Ohio 28 crosses I-275 (Goshen Exit—but the church is inside the loop).
Time: 6:00 PM (Walk-ins allowed)
Learn More

EXAM SESSION

02/13/2012 | Taylor Mill KY 41015-2130

Sponsor: NKARC
Location: Hilltop Church of Christ, 5300 Taylor Mill Road, Taylor Mill, KY (I-275 Exit 79, Taylor Mill Rd, then South about a mile.)
Time: 6:00 PM (No walk-ins)
Learn More

EXAM SESSION

02/22/2012 | Middletown OH 45042

Sponsor: Miami U & Dial Radio Club
Location: Verity Lodge. Miami U - Middletown Campus (Miami University Middletown Road—basically at the top of the hill)
Time: 6:00 PM (Walk-ins allowed)
Learn More

I didn’t want to paste html, but you can get the link to work here: http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-exam-session I used zip 45241 and had to specify a date range.

Also, does the Hive have any VEs? (Volunteer Examiners). If you need a third, I would be willing to get mine. I am not currently a VE. (If you have 3 VEs, you can have an exam anytime you want.)

Matthew
Sharonville

Matthew,

I have an advanced amateur license as well and could get my VE.

Enjoyed my first visit last night at the hive.

Cheers

Roscoe

I have not yet had a chance to make it out and meet you all, but I have been following this list now for a little while. I am a VE with ARRL and am available to help out as needed. One of these days I will make it out there.

Cheers,
Dan

Roscoe,

I meant to catch your ear last night at the meeting, but didn't get a
chance to. I wanted to ask you: what's a good entry point into packet
radio? I'm reading a lot of stuff online that seems like it's from
the 90's. Keep in mind, I have not bought my first radio at all yet.
My preference would be to do as many data protocols as possible over
being able to do more voice stuff. Feel free to email me offlist if
you want.

~Dave

Dave,

Been a few years since I did any packet stuff, I was big into it in the early 90’s.

I used a packet box (still have it somewhere) that talked to the computer via rs232 and had a mic and earphone jack to hook to the 2-meter handheld. Worked pretty good most of the time.
That way you could type into a terminal program and read the replies.

They have gotten much more complicated lately but the early work still functions.

Hope this helps, if I come across the box I get the name, I know the closet it is in (along with all my other radios).

Cheers

Roscoe