Call for Volunteers for Saturday, January 21st, Noon to remove plywood

Ian,

This permission was granted by Andrew. It was his vote, he accomplished what he was looking to do by clearing space, and afforded me the time to try to work something out. This was also addressed at a meeting and acknowledged by Andrew.

Do you have more authority over this matter than him and where is this communication you speak of?

I have not given permission, nor do I have the ability to override membership votes. What I have told you twice was that I would wait for your proposal before acting. First on the 3rd, and then until the 10th, when your original vaguely worded proposal was shot down. Finally I decided to wait again to see the outcome of Tiffany’s proposal last Tuesday night, as I announced in the previous thread. If you feel you’ve gotten permission to leave your plywood at the hive indefinitely, it has not come from me. If anything it should have been clear from last week that after the proposal went down I would be again asking for volunteers to remove the plywood.

Ian is correct, you could have taken home all the lumber at any point, since it would not have left you in this situation. Any member could have removed your lumber after the 1st in keeping with the original vote. In fact taking home your plywood is exactly what I suggested we do when loading the trailer on December the 30th. It would have avoided our being in the current situation.

I was hoping that by showing some patience and flexibility that we could resolve this amiably. Honestly, I’ve got better things to do with my time than moving a ton of lumber. Instead we’ve gotten stall tactics, rumors, gas lighting, and legal threats. Enough is enough.

As for the plywood not taking up space used for other things, you were at the meeting where it was approved to use that exact space for member flat storage.

Here I will play mediator for both sides.

Leadership,

Will you grant an extension to Coy of January 31st(10 days) end of day?

You are compromising on the date but agreeing in public with transparency, there would be little reason for anyone not to side with you after agreeing to the extension date set forth by the other party.

Coy,

Will you agree to remove this wood by Jabuary 31st?
Will you agree to no more extensions of this vote?
Will you agree to not ask for any additional revotes until after January 31st?

I know you don't want to have to move the wood out and to later have to move it back in if your vote passes but this is your major compromise.

All,
This sounds like a pretty mutual desire for both parties.
I get it the wheaties on both parties have been pissed in. Stop eating from that bowl and pour a new one seriously.

Why was the 31st in Tiffanys proposal ok for a deadline to remove but you decided to move it today without first talking to me?

Does putting me in a tough position make you feel powerful? Does another week really hurt? I’ve told everyone when I can have it moved by. I can’t see the harm of it staying a few more days. If something happens it puts everyone in a tough spot.

Tim,

Of course I agree to this and understand that there is no possible way to have another vote before it’s all removed.

Coy

Grab a new bowl of wheaties man.

Leadership,

Coy has agreed to the three requirements brought to him.

In summary
No extensions
Wood gone by January 31st
No revotes to membership until after January 31st

Do you agree to your one compromise of an extension for 10 days January 31st?

Timothy,

Thank you for stepping up to the plate also and helping try to smooth things out as well. Honestly If it were a few sheets of cheaper plywood I would say move it out there however were talking quite a bit of money there. We are a hell of a group of people at the hive and maybe Jim Dallam can voice in with his being excellent quote I believe it is :slight_smile: I know this has been a long process as well as stressful on some however it would be good to see a clean exit with the wood rather than tempers get the best of people? The last thing on my mind right now is even figuring out having plywood at the hive, it just sucks seeing so many good people getting affected by this one way or another.

I appreciate the perspective and help of everyone so far. I am inspired by the optimism, please don’t lose that people; it’s part of what keeps our space going.

The problem is that this has been reasonably compromised on just about every single week since the vote occurred in early December. We’ve already been through multiple compromises and extensions, to each with our response of “what’s just a couple more days, let’s be excellent and reasonable”.

What is a couple more days? A couple more days here and there is how this has become an issue spanning over a year. We have responded by granting a couple more days for several weeks now.

Yesterday we proposed a compromise, granting a couple more days. It is found above in blue. If you can see, even now, when we propose a solution and compromise, (when we got a new bowl of cereal) that is not good enough.

From a leadership perspective, we have had to consciously and explicitly go against an 80% affirmative vote for almost a month. And when avenues for votes and discussion (to our best communicated knowledge) have been accommodated, we reasonably decide to act, with a compromise; it is not met with gratitude and understanding, it is met with argument and further vilification. This is not being excellent to us, nor to our membership at large.

Having a camera on it in the hallway stacked on its side seems to be a safer solution if the current space is needed before next weekend.

I figure it was worth a shot setting a specific date and time. Im not wanting to vilify anyone or the process if that is how it comes across I’m sorry for that. Having closure to this in a peaceful way was my main intent and try to encompass everyone’s goals for it to be gone as well.

That was not aimed at you, sorry if it could be read that way. I was addressing you and Tim etc. in the first paragraph. Thanks for your constructive input :slight_smile:

Anyone have a web cam or something to monitor stuff temporarily? I would offer my little tablet up, but I left it uncharged for too long and the battery ist kaputt and will not power on even while plugged in. Fun discovery today. :stuck_out_tongue:

The plywood has been moved. I want to offer a deep and heartfelt thanks for the five other people who showed up today to help enforce the Hive rules. Despite being informed of the threat of legal action, they were all ready and willing to pitch in.

You know, several of my other clubs sometimes struggle with Robert’s Rules and parliamentary procedure. Thirteen years of doing this stuff a couple hours a week, and I thought to do classes on it for like the Y, and read a few books and learned all the things we were doing wrong… but well, life took other paths. And studying this stuff is marginally historically interesting, the rest is like watching paint dry.

So in the interest of clarification, here is how I saw it. Here goes. Motion made to table a motion for rework online and submission next meeting. Motion passed. Discussion ends for that meeting. Next meeting at New business, or committee reports… it gets brought up. Some groups do not auto table old business, or have a call before ending the session of “Is there any more old business” which if unanswered also kills the motion. I dunno which is the tradition yet here. Basically, if no second on rereading, or the meeting proceeds without the revised motion being made, then it is a dead motion… and business moves on. Missed deadline, lack of interest, hate or discontent… or vote not to vote: it died by procedural flaws.

Due to procedure, until a new motion is made to reopen the issue, seconded, then voted on again… the point is moot. Essentially, by not bringing it up, it suffered an indirect vote of “all opposed.” Which means the original bylaws, and motions on the topic are in effect.

I hope that explains some of the procedure… Robert’s Rules kinda one of those funny things, it touches our lives all the time, and yet, each book you read on it reveals new layers. No I have no interest in being a Parliamentarian… Nope. Rather make sawdust. But it might help to pick a reference book and name it specifically in the bylaws, if that has not already been done. By Laws… ugh. Point of Order!