Bylaw change vote: Voting clarification.

Below is a vote for an update to the bylaws to reflect our current voting procedures. At this time our current bylaws can be read as requiring Quorum for all votes, this is not the practice we have been following. If you find any typos or think there is a better way to word a statement please let me know.

A summary of the changes are to match our current voting practices are:#

• numbers the different steps in voting.

• States the minimal announcement time for a vote of the membership.

• clarifies Announcements must be made via our currently used mailing list (commonly google groups)

• Votes may be withdrawn by the initiator

• Voting ends at a meeting.

• Remote voting may be used for both Quorum and non-quorum votes.

• Remote voting was listed twice as counting toward Quorum, I removed the second statement from the “Remote Voting section.” It is still listed in “Quorum”
    Bylaw change:
    Votes of the Membership

All issues requiring a vote, except when otherwise specified in these bylaws, Must follow the following steps:

1. Be announced on the Commonly used Mailing List of no less than seven (7) daysbefore the vote ends.

2. shall be decided by affirmative vote of more than 50% (one half) of the attendance present at the Regular or Annual Meetingand votes tallied by Remote Voting up to that point.

3. Votes may be withdrawn at anytime by the initiator of the vote and Voting must end at aRegular or Annual Meeting.

Quorum1. Quorum for a Vote of the Membership shall require attendance of at least half (50%) of the existing Membership on the day of the vote.

1. For the purposes of calculating the quorum, properly submitted proxy statements by Members shall count as attendance as well as votes submitted via authenticated online polls as described in the section: Remote Voting.

2. Quorum is only required for Bylaw &addendum changes, Officer and Board of Directors elections, any other vote required by law, or otherwise specified in these bylaws.

Remote Voting

A poll must be brought up online to handle collection of votes as long as the online voting system authenticates users as Members. Once the poll has been circulated via the mailing list there will be a period of no less than seven (7) days to vote on the topic. After the deadline the online poll is locked so no further votes are possible and the results are included with other voting methods described within the Bylaws to reach a decision.

Current bylaw:

Votes of the Membership

All issues requiring a vote, except when otherwise specified in these bylaws, shall be decided by affirmative vote of more than 50% (one half) of the quorum present.

Quorum1. Quorum for a Vote of the Membership shall require attendance of at least half (50%) of the existing Membership on the day of the vote.

1. For the purposes of calculating the quorum, properly submitted proxy statements by Members shall count as attendance as well as votes submitted via authenticated online polls as described in the section: Remote Voting.

Remote Voting

A poll can be brought up online to handle collection of votes as long as the online voting system authenticates users as Members. Once the poll has been circulated via the mailing list there will be a period of no less than seven (7) days to vote on the topic. After the deadline the online poll is locked so no further votes are possible and the results are included with other voting methods described within the Bylaws to reach a quorum.

Daniel, this post is so fraught with grammatical errors I don't know where to start. It also fails to capture the difference between our board/officer/bylaws votes of the membership where we ensure we capture quorum of full membership, and the more common lesser votes for purchase.

Please withdraw this and wait for the version that has had a collaborative group working on it for months to be posted.

Kevin I disagree and I will not be removing it. If there are grammatical errors please let me know and I will correct them.

Quorum voting for bylaws etc is stated in the quorum section.

I havent been able to find a single word over the mailing lists, meeting notes (board or member) over this collaborative team to work on our voting system (or bylaws regarding votes). Can you please direct me to where this was stated being formed?

I agree. there is a requirement to have a quorum at the annual meeting. It is not required for each meeting for purchasing votes - that simply requires approval via a majority vote of the members present at the meeting. These are very different!

Cheers,

Tiffany

Tiffany correct, but our current bylaws are worded in a manner that would require that. The change specifies quorum is only needed for bylaw/addendum changes, leadership elections, votes requiring quorum by law and other specified quorum votes in the bylaws. (So we dont have to change this section if another section adds a vote of quorum)

Has I changed since I was a board member bc that was not worded that way then …

Here the current bylaw as stated in the wiki. I do not remember a vote in the last few years to change it, but I haven’t checked either.

Current bylaw:

Votes of the Membership

All issues requiring a vote, except when otherwise specified in these bylaws, shall be decided by affirmative vote of more than 50% (one half) of the quorum present.

Remote Voting

A poll can be brought up online to handle collection of votes as long as the online voting system authenticates users as Members. Once the poll has been circulated via the mailing list there will be a period of no less than seven (7) days to vote on the topic. After the deadline the online poll is locked so no further votes are possible and the results are included with other voting methods described within the Bylaws to reach a quorum.

Tiffany,
Through the Wiki I am unable to find any of the annual meeting voting subjects, who ran, etc. I dont know if I am looking the wrong section or if its not there at all. Sorry I can’t give more specifics on the history of this section of the bylaws.

I dug through ancient history so we could have the background on how the item purchasing procedure was proposed and passed:
The item purchasing procedure was proposed and passed as a change to our operating procedures and was not seen as needing to be part of the bylaws.

Original discussion thread: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/cincihackerspace/p2Nt9q7Xgic/eLnWl1ApfzgJ
Followup discussion thread: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/cincihackerspace/9b6DQbYxWmQ/Xgyq1Ap2v-QJ

Vote was logged as passed in the Jan 29th, 2013 meeting minutes: https://wiki.hive13.org/view/Jan_29,_2013

Thanks for digging that up Paul.

Paul, good find! That being said I agree with the 2013 hive’s decision to make the votes as we handle them, but I think doing so in a way that conflicts with the bylaws may not have been the best way to handle this. This bylaw change will remove any potential conflict there.

It is great to read this older discussion thread(s).
Seems like everyone was able to converse without falling into flaming each other.
Maybe we can use it as a model for future discussion. :slight_smile:

I fixed a few typos for the bylaw changes that I found. Please feel free to let me know if you find any more errors.

Votes of the Membership

All issues requiring a vote, except when otherwise specified in these bylaws, Must follow the following steps:

1. Be announced on the commonly used Mailing List of no less than seven (7) days before the vote ends.

2. Shall be decided by affirmative vote of more than 50% (one half) of the attendance present at the Regular or Annual Meeting and votes tallied by Remote Voting up to that point.

3. Votes may be withdrawn at anytime by the initiator of the vote and Voting must end at a Regular or Annual Meeting.

2. Quorum will only required for Bylaw & A****ddendum changes, Officer and Board of Directors elections, any other vote required by law, or otherwise specified in these bylaws.

Remote Voting

A poll must be brought up online to handle collection of votes as long as the online voting system authenticates users as Members. Once the poll has been circulated via the mailing list there will be a period of no less than seven (7) days to vote on the topic. After the deadline the online poll is locked so no further votes are possible and the results are included with other voting methods described within the Bylaws to reach a decision.

My $0.02

Votes of the Membership

All issues requiring a vote must conform to the following steps, except when otherwise specified in these bylaws:

1. Shall be announced on the commonly used Mailing List no less than seven (7) days before the vote ends.
  2. Shall be decided by affirmative vote of more than 50% (one half) of the attendees present at the Regular or Annual Meeting and votes tallied by Remote Voting up to that point.
  3. May be withdrawn at any time by the initiator of the vote.
  4. Voting must end at a Regular or Annual Meeting.

Quorum

1. A Quorum for a Vote of the Membership shall require attendance of at least half (50%) of the existing Membership on the day of the vote.
  2. For the purposes of calculating the quorum, properly submitted proxy statements by Members shall count as attendance as well as votes submitted via authenticated online polls as described in the section: Remote Voting.
  3. A Quorum shall only be required for Bylaw & Addendum changes, Officer and Board of Directors elections, and any other vote required by law or otherwise specified in these bylaws.

Remote Voting

A poll must be brought up online to handle collection of votes. The online voting system must authenticate users as Members. Once the poll has been circulated via the mailing list there shall be a period of no less than seven (7) days to vote on the issue. After the deadline the online poll shall be locked so that no further votes are possible. To reach a decision, the results shall be included with other voting methods described within the Bylaws.

Paul, thats some good editing and I like them changes! I found one more thing to add to that change, to capitalize and bold all references of the Quorum for uniformity.

So newest update:

Votes of the Membership

All issues requiring a vote must conform to the following steps, except when otherwise specified in these bylaws:

1. Shall be announced on the commonly used Mailing List no less than seven (7) days before the vote ends.
  2. Shall be decided by affirmative vote of more than 50% (one half) of the attendees present at the Regular or Annual Meeting and votes tallied by Remote Voting up to that point.

Quorum

1. A Quorum for a Vote of the Membership shall require attendance of at least half (50%) of the existing Membership on the day of the vote.
  2. For the purposes of calculating the Quorum, properly submitted proxy statements by Members shall count as attendance as well as votes submitted via authenticated online polls as described in the section: Remote Voting.1. A Quorum shall only be required for Bylaw & Addendum changes, Officer and Board of Directors elections, and any other vote required by law or otherwise specified in these bylaws.

Remote Voting

A poll must be brought up online to handle collection of votes. The online voting system must authenticate users as Members. Once the poll has been circulated via the mailing list there shall be a period of no less than seven (7) days to vote on the issue. After the deadline the online poll shall be locked so that no further votes are possible. To reach a decision, the results shall be included with other voting methods described within the Bylaws.

FINAL VERSION OF PROPOSED BYLAW CHANGE

Votes of the Membership

Quorum

2. For the purposes of calculating the Quorum, properly submitted proxy statements by Members shall count as attendance as well as votes submitted via authenticated online polls as described in the section: Remote Voting.
  3. A Quorum shall only be required for Bylaw & Addendum changes, Officer and Board of Directors elections, and any other vote required by law or otherwise specified in these bylaws.

Somehow when I sent this it didnt include the remote voting section in my copy and paste the final version should read as follows:

Votes of the Membership

Quorum

2. For the purposes of calculating the Quorum, properly submitted proxy statements by Members shall count as attendance as well as votes submitted via authenticated online polls as described in the section: Remote Voting.

Remote Voting

This did not pass