Build it together cnc'd table recap

Thanks everyone who came down. The day was a success:

We had some fun

Learned some CNC

Made a really wobbly thing resembling a table

Conclusion: downloadable CNC furniture does not make for the best furniture (95% of it is really ugly too). However, speaking for myself, I learned more about our CNC doing this one day project than I have with any other CNC project.

I won’t be at the meeting tonight, but maybe I’ll try to come in today and set up the amazing wobbly parallelogram table for folks to glare at in disdain.

How would people feel about doing another one, but this time, a traditional parson’s table with lag bolts, joints, and solid wood. A table battle royale?

Lorin

Lorin

I enjoyed the time I was there!

John2pt0

Lorin,

I agree with everything you said about CNC furniture but were you able to get tight fitting pressed together joints? Last time I tried it our CNC wasn’t accurate enough to make press tight joints like a lot of CNC furniture requires. Were you able to do this?

Coy

Nope. Press / mallet fit was not achievable in this case. It did do a good job all-around, but couldn’t nail a ‘fit’.

Sent: Wednesday, March 7, 2018 8:06 PM
To: cincihackerspace@googlegroups.com
Reply To: cincihackerspace@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [CHP] Build it together cnc’d table recap

|

• |

Lorin,

I agree with everything you said about CNC furniture but were you able to get tight fitting pressed together joints? Last time I tried it our CNC wasn’t accurate enough to make press tight joints like a lot of CNC furniture requires. Were you able to do this?

Coy

Yes I did some accuracy tests a few weeks ago and the big CNC was “off” a bit.
I have it on my to-do list to recalibrate it.

Pics?
Pics or it didn’t happen! :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

NancyG